Welcome New (and old) BigFooty Cats supporters - introduce yourself here!

Thurlow2Mackie

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2012
Dynasty dynasty dynasty
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hawfs are jealous of our dynasty!
I started going for Geelong when Thurlow got drafted. The prospect of Thurlow and Mackie playing for the same team was just too awesome. Plus, the Hawf Geelong shizen fights are the greatest thing on the internet.

The Quandrinator

All Australian
Feb 5, 2013
Southern NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all
My inaugural post
I Have followed Geelong from the early 80's but my real love for them was cemented (along with my hatred of all things Hawthorn) in the September of 1989.
Currently housebound in the outer east of Melbourne, I have been an occasional viewer of this and similar sites but now have the time to do more than just watch.
Reading back on this it reads a bit like the start of an AA meeting. Hi my name is Nick and I am a cats fan.
I have been footy free since last Friday and it has been hell!

It started only on Saturday afternoons when I was a bit bored. I don't think my family were paying me enough attention. I'd go to the TV room. It was innocent enough at first. Then slowly I started mumbling things to myself like "get over the ball, get over the ball". It wasn't long before I started screaming at the TV of course. Vile things, terrible things. And then it slipped from my lips .... "Aaaaaaaablett".

I am a mad Crows fan, but i am also a mad Cats fan. Since i was little, i always had a thing for the crows and cats.

Shell is one of our purer souls here....

We nasties can handle it....yell loud for the Cats when you can mate! :thumbsu:

Sorry mate but polygamy is illegal in this country.

Not cool. :thumbsdown:
I would have thought the "...I've always had a thing for the crows and cats" was more concerning.

Taken literally of course.

Carry on.

oozeboss

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2010
In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
1968 Mitchell Park U12B's
I am a mad Crows fan, but i am also a mad Cats fan. Since i was little, i always had a thing for the crows and cats.

Luckily for us, Geelong is chockers with South Australians.

(As is Canberra, and my quarter acre slice of SA In Exile, way over here in Sydney.)

Welcome to this amazing and widespread community.

Feb 28, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Napoli, Patriots
Luckily for us, Geelong is chockers with South Australians.

(As is Canberra, and my quarter acre slice of SA In Exile, way over here in Sydney.)

Welcome to this amazing and widespread community.

Yeah so I've heard. I have some cousins who live in Geelong and say the same thing. Go you mighty cats!!.

I really hope we destroy the smile of Port Adelaides face this year. You should here the bullshit the media is bragging on about the Power. Good form? no question. But bagged the premiership after 5 rounds and only beating easy or out of form teams? thats bullshit.

blue_bear1

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
blow goats.
I don't think I have introduced myself either. I joined about a year ago. I am a Geelong supporter living in Perth. Have loved them for as long as I can remember (which unfortunately includes vague memories of the GF losses of the 90s). I am surrounded by Eagles and Dockers fans and don't have any close friends that are cats fans. I did have one but she moved to Brisbane :( It is awesome to see all the Cat supporters on Bigfooty. I finally feel like I belong!

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
UQ AFC (My only true team)
Long term member of Big Footy and much like the fella above, follow two AFL teams equally, Lions and Cats. Raised in brisbane all my life, Geelong Father who now invites me down every year to catch footy with him since. Hell, following the Cats has probarbly helped me reconnect with me Dad since the family broke apart.

Down in Geelong as I write this funnily enough. Great little town and I pee'd a little when I was at the Cats shop yesterday when I think I spotted Stevie J.

Looking forwars to heading to thw MCG on saturday so I can troll my richmond mates back North.

Long term member of Big Footy and much like the fella above, follow two AFL teams equally, Lions and Cats. Raised in brisbane all my life, Geelong Father who now invites me down every year to catch footy with him since. Hell, following the Cats has probarbly helped me reconnect with me Dad since the family broke apart.

Down in Geelong as I write this funnily enough. Great little town and I pee'd a little when I was at the Cats shop yesterday when I think I spotted Stevie J.

Looking forwars to heading to thw MCG on saturday so I can troll my richmond mates back North.

You get points for having Geelong in "other teams" at least.

You still on thin ice in my book tho.

:p

And also was it Stevie J or was it not Stevie J? Did you end up peeing for no reason at all?

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
You get points for having Geelong in "other teams" at least.

You still on thin ice in my book tho.

:p

And also was it Stevie J or was it not Stevie J? Did you end up peeing for no reason at all?

Heh, I thought youd love me. Moar money for teh club and I get to deal with my Daddy issues :p

Restricted view but from stature and side facial structure, I say yes. And in that case, it may not of been pee. 1 in 5 men.... Pele.... you know where Im going with this :p

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I find it incredibly frustrating that we have a really large number of Catters in Sydney and Canberra, yet we just can't seem to get together as a group (there being no SydCats group in existence). We have two Cats' games here this season, and it'd be a massive opportunity missed if we couldn't just plain meet up before and after both games.

(We've chatted before, Kitty, and you've never needed anybody to set you right, ever.)
There is a well organised Perth Cats supporters group. Mebee you could talk to them about how they did what they did. http://www.perthcats.org/

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
My first post. After finding this site last year and lurking I've now jumped on the bandwagon and joined. Actually I jumped on the bandwagon back in the '60s. I started going to the footy in 1965 when it was two shillings for juniors to get in. I would line up in the kids' line and when the gates opened at 11:00 would race, rug under my arm to get a seat and mind it for the rest of my family. I got my first membership ticket in 1966. I have followed the Cats through glorious wins and disappointments, but am really enjoying how our team have been playing in recent years and looking forward to a good 2013.
Welcome, you are among friends

I have to agree. Was there last week for a couple of days' work. I have always found it too impersonal, too self absorbed with a over-representation of slick tossers. Present company excepted of course.

Allrighty I can tell you so many stories about that! Although today was a new and unique experience for me. Whilst buying my lunch, staff and customers were all talking AFL - one Swans fan and the rest a mix of teams, then some Swans trainers came in and joined our chat! I felt like I'd been transported to Melbourne! It was awesome!

What a shame I didn't know you were here, we could have met! At least one friendly face lol Sydneysiders take themselves too seriously, so many are obsessed with $ and status, they're so shallow and stuck-up - just a sign of poor self-esteem and insecurity.

Your status message sums it up just so well - "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Sydneysiders take themselves too seriously, so many are obsessed with $ and status, they're so shallow and stuck-up - just a sign of poor self-esteem and insecurity.

Your status message sums it up just so well - "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
I travel around Oz a fair bit but not much to Sydney. I will let you know next time.

And the quote is from the wonderful Douglas Adams of 42 fame.

Well welcome and I love your avi !! Looks great. Looks like we are similar generations ( I may be a little older ) so its been a great decade to watch. We both know the painful years as well....

Don't be shy!

There seems to be lots of Baby Boomers, and that's so great! If only the younger people realised that we still feel like Kittens lol

Not my first post here, but an early one. Noticed we have a few Sydney Cats etc, well I'm a southern NSW Cat, have been since my mum wrapped a blue and white scarf around my neck in 1963. I'm a Cats 11 game member even though I can't get to every game but getting to a few finals always makes it worthwhile.

Q - also have a Cats 11 game membership and drive from Sydney to games (ran out of FreqFlyers) - next one Collingwood - WooHoo and I think we're around the same vintage too! Are you coastal or country southern NSW? I'm thinking I may have to swing by and collect you for a game on one of my Odysseys ;) lol

Hi all
My inaugural post
I Have followed Geelong from the early 80's but my real love for them was cemented (along with my hatred of all things Hawthorn) in the September of 1989.
Currently housebound in the outer east of Melbourne, I have been an occasional viewer of this and similar sites but now have the time to do more than just watch.
Reading back on this it reads a bit like the start of an AA meeting. Hi my name is Nick and I am a cats fan.
I have been footy free since last Friday and it has been hell!

Welcome catinthemachine / aka Nick lol *said in a jaunty AA group welcome manner*

Hey all,

Actually just noticed this thread..
I have been around for a while, used to frequent the bay and a couple of other forum sites but pretty much stick to here now.
I'm all in for a meet and greet before the 1st night game at KP, was actually thinking about posting something about it the other day, moving to Geelong in a month or so and have my seat organised at Skilled for the year, just got a solo seat as my 1st time doing it and none of my mates would join up so I will be keen to socialize and meet some new folks :thumbsu:

I have a couple from here on my twitter... well i think a couple, have Ninty for sure, and of course the brilliant BigFooty cats... anyone else feel free to follow me @_willo_ I generally tweet nonsense but could be handy for sorting out pre-bevs at some stage as well!

Awesome x 2 Shaneo. A while ago I suggested a get together at a game and think it was our first night game that was suggested. I have hotel etc booked but am scrounging around for a ticket to the game, a friend wasn't able to get me a tic to the Social Club, now waiting to see if WA friends come over. But a single tic could be the go and meet friends on the Ablett Terrace, which is always fun. So put me down please Shaneo.

Who else would like to join in a meet and greet at the first night game?

Finally, I urge you to look at a fantastic thread by Mr_Bojangles -
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/so-why-are-you-a-cats-fan.636143/

You must be sick of GF success, 6 in 10 years??

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It's funny living here. You see em all over the place. As I have said before they are generally friendly but reserved and the locals leave em alone.

fair enough as well. Don't want to cramp the Champ

That said, on Sunday after golf ( Was wearing a Cats polo at the time ) , a legendary cat did smile and say G'day to me / which was awesome Since he is one of me all find favourites

There seems to be lots of Baby Boomers, and that's so great! If only the younger people realised that we still feel like Kittens lol.

For fellow baby boomers. Or as I think of them "Post War families".​

Note that the 50c coin was originally round and bigger. It had to be trimmed because it was worth more than the 50c value IIRC

Back