News New Bulldogs logo

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that it's off centred still annoys me. Move the Dog a little to the left and maybe somehow make it full bodied and I'd be happy. I think the face looks great.
Agree with all that. The face of the dog is terrific, no complaints there. The dog sort of hanging off the side is my biggest frustration with it. In full colour it might look alright (although that wouldn't work on a logo) but a blob of white space with a thick stroke line hanging off the side just looks wrong.

I bloody love it.

Having said that, where are people getting the word that we are changing to this - I can't find any mention of it on the website/twitter/facebook feeds?

I like it too. Maybe not perfect but everyone's taste is slightly different - it's not going to get any better being designed by a committee.

I'm guessing the dog must have done a couple of ACLs, hence the two legged pose (back ones were in moon boots or plaster).

Better than Robodog.

Agree with all that. The face of the dog is terrific, no complaints there. The dog sort of hanging off the side is my biggest frustration with it. In full colour it might look alright (although that wouldn't work on a logo) but a blob of white space with a thick stroke line hanging off the side just looks wrong.
I actually think that on top of the points you made earlier the snarl is a bit wonky as well. The front teeth should be seperated by a line rather that continuing on from the lip & the way the mouth is shaped doesn't look right to me either.
All in all it looks like a bit of a rush job to me. Kind of more like a first draft to get an idea across rather than a fully resolved logo.
I agree that it beats robo dog (not hard really) but it would have been nice for the club to invest a bit more in the change & get a result that everyone likes.

I actually think that on top of the points you made earlier the snarl is a bit wonky as well. The front teeth should be seperated by a line rather that continuing on from the lip & the way the mouth is shaped doesn't look right to me either.
All in all it looks like a bit of a rush job to me. Kind of more like a first draft to get an idea across rather than a fully resolved logo.
I agree that it beats robo dog (not hard really) but it would have been nice for the club to invest a bit more in the change & get a result that everyone likes.
Hadn't noticed that. Bloody hell, that's gonna kill me now. Damn you. :p

Fair enough if you don't like it, it's not perfect, but let's hear why.

I think they've covered most bases - it's actually a dog, it acknowledges when we were formed and there's a shield that includes our colours and classic hoops. For me, I'd hope we use a proper shield rather than the stylised angled shield, change 'since' to 'Est.' and give the Dog some hind legs, but I'm quite happy with the premise of it.

It's much better than our current logo.
Not a great fan of this style of logo, it's obviously done by the same firm that did N Melb and Richmond all the same. I'm more in the camp of the traditional logos of Carlton, Geelong,Collingwood and St Kilda to me they are classic and don't date.
We have a chance here to do something different that will stand out from the rest.The logo in question is no different to those of Adelaide and Brisbane, both of which I hate, but that's just my opinion.
If our logo is to incorporate a bulldog (it doesn't have to ) then I would prefer a more classic dog not a caricature,and one that's not so in your face.I have always liked the idea of the dog with the flag in its mouth, an updated version of our heritage logo is the way to go for me.

Not a great fan of this style of logo, it's obviously done by the same firm that did N Melb and Richmond all the same. I'm more in the camp of the traditional logos of Carlton, Geelong,Collingwood and St Kilda to me they are classic and don't date.
We have a chance here to do something different that will stand out from the rest.The logo in question is no different to those of Adelaide and Brisbane, both of which I hate, but that's just my opinion.
If our logo is to incorporate a bulldog (it doesn't have to ) then I would prefer a more classic dog not a caricature,and one that's not so in your face.I have always liked the idea of the dog with the flag in its mouth, an updated version of our heritage logo is the way to go for me.
Fair enough.

I think for as long as we're the 'Western Bulldogs', the Bulldog will always feature on the logo. I'd like to see them explore designs just incorporating our hoops, or even symbols of the west, like the West Gate. It doesn't matter so much if it's derivative of European football logos, as long as it gives us a more timeless design.

With some tweaks, I'd be happy for the aforementioned one to replace 'robo-dog', however.

Is there any way to officially submit an opinion or give feedback to the club?
I'm not totally against it as it is better than Robodog but for similar reasons to Dan10 outlining above it isn't perfect.

I'm still yet to see anything resembling an announcement from the club on this...?

Theres nothing to say it hasn't been updated/refined, if indeed it is true that were changing (which is pretty much inevitable). Anyway, I quite like it although can see why people would like a more traditional/timeless look, and I'd probably like that better too. But currently this one is already sooooo much better than Robo dog its not funny, so any change is welcome.

Fair enough if you don't like it, it's not perfect, but let's hear why.

I think they've covered most bases - it's actually a dog, it acknowledges when we were formed and there's a shield that includes our colours and classic hoops. For me, I'd hope we use a proper shield rather than the stylised angled shield, change 'since' to 'Est.' and give the Dog some hind legs, but I'm quite happy with the premise of it.

It's much better than our current logo.

There's considerably more to good design than "covering most bases." Things like the way the various elements work together and to my mind this is by far the biggest failing of this logo. The shield and the Bulldogs motifs are fine in of themselves but the way they are integrated (for me) just don't work. The less said about the lazy use of typography the better. I was hoping that when this logo was uncovered that it was an early draft and the final release would address some of the logos failings, which you have pointed out. Alas it would appear that this is the final version.

As for the god awful 'RoboDog' logo, it was a crime against good design when it was released and hasn't aged at all well since and is one of the reasons that I generally steer clear of Bulldogs merchandise. This proposed logo is so mediocre I can't see that attitude changing anytime soon.

If there was any point I'd create my own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's considerably more to good design than "covering most bases." Things like the way the various elements work together and to my mind this is by far the biggest failing of this logo. The shield and the Bulldogs motifs are fine in of themselves but the way they are integrated (for me) just don't work. The less said about the lazy use of typography the better. I was hoping that when this logo was uncovered that it was an early draft and the final release would address some of the logos failings, which you have pointed out. Alas it would appear that this is the final version.

As for the god awful 'RoboDog' logo, it was a crime against good design when it was released and hasn't aged at all well since and is one of the reasons that I generally steer clear of Bulldogs merchandise. This proposed logo is so mediocre I can't see that attitude changing anytime soon.

If there was any point I'd create my own.
Please do, I want to see what you come up with :)

I'm working on something just for my own personal benefit, but I'm considerably better at drawing than at using Paint/Photoshop, and even my drawings look like finger paintings compared to what some people come up with. Mostly taking inspiration from some of the European football clubs. I love FC Parma's logo, although there isn't enough of a difference in the kits we've worn to adopt something similar, and there's always going to be a Bulldog on our logo for as long as we're not called Footscray.

Looks nice, think that's all it has to do.

I've never got the hub-bub over VFL/AFL logos, only St. Kilda (and the cats in recent years) ever actually wore it as a proper crest (in vain of association football clubs) when the flashing idiot box was invented.

If we were ever going to stick it on the jersey... The old girl with the banner flag sticking out of its mouth would take the cake hands down, I wouldn't even accept any other submissions.

People would still surely remember when they were practically all the same? Wonder if that happened now what some of the comments would be. :p

The more I see it the more I like it. I couldn't care less that it only has two legs, I think it would look out of place with the whole body. The bulldog looks great. Would like to see a normal shield behind him, and it definitely needs since changed to est. and a F.F.C added somewhere to pay tribute to our heritage.

But hey it's never going to be perfect to one persons likes, very happy with it.

I'd forgotten about this new logo - on purpose as a I hate it.
The club was told by the AFL to withhold it for a year or 2 so they could clear out their old merchandise stocks.
I'd say we will be putting up with this new crap logo from next year.

Adelaide will be happy that another team has a logo as bad as theirs... : (

I'd forgotten about this new logo - on purpose as a I hate it.
The club was told by the AFL to withhold it for a year or 2 so they could clear out their old merchandise stocks.
I'd say we will be putting up with this new crap logo from next year.

Adelaide will be happy that another team has a logo as bad as theirs... : (
That's the Robo-crow isn't it?
At least you can work out what ours is.

That's the Robo-crow isn't it?
At least you can work out what ours is.
Crowbot :D

I think they call it the Baltimore Raven, because it's obviously been ripped off from that team's logo.

I'm not really a fan of the cartoon dog, I think it will really date, and very quickly I might add.

If we're going to redesign the logo, lets make it one that will stick around for 50 years or so.

A crest with this sort of dog (below), dog on a blue shield, the red and white hoops behind the dog on the shield, with a sash under it with the club name and Est. 1883. Done, lock it up till 2055.

1070vb4.jpg

Hopefully the club hasnt 100% locked that logo away without consulting the members.

At the risk of alienating many of my new BFFs (Big Footy friends) I'm going to say that I like the robodog. Of course, for me it was the logo they had when I first started following the Bulldogs so that may have something to with it. But I also feel that the best logos are most often the simplest designs. The Nike swoosh, the golden arches, the Dallas Cowboys star, the Playboy bunny and the apple with a bite out of it are some prime examples. (Although they are also prime examples of what a multi-million dollar marketing budget can do.) If the Bulldogs feel they really must change then I think they should take the time to come up with something that is fairly simple yet elegant like the logos I've mentioned. Something that will still look elegant 2 or 3 decades into the future. A great logo is one that can last through several generations and that's when it goes from being a logo to being an icon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back