News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with the email from Fagan and not one mention of the other club.

If the audited don't mean as much as the number the club keeps they should do something to announce it or get it in the media ahead of the AFL audit next year.

Spot on.

When we hit 60K unaudited members earlier this year (first in the state too) we managed to do it with no reference to the Tealsters, not even a single subtle dig either. It's one thing for supporters to be obsessed with each other but the little brother syndrome displayed by the PAFC admin is pathetic. If they want to talk themselves up as the big dog around town now, they've got to stop making such a big deal of the petty dick-measuring contests. They need to learn to be proud of their achievements while not worrying about what the AFC is doing.

I like the idea of using the variance to home attendance table as per above but we will never win that argument simply because we are based at a home 52k stadium - not a 100k stadium... And although I like us to beat PAFC when we can Id much prefer to beat port AND Rich, Coll, Ess etc...

For mine Id like to see two measures of membership numbers.

1 - The number they use now. As much as we don't like it (ATM) it is still relevant because it shows how many individuals we talk to and we should still encourage this metric as a way of engaging more members.

But we also need a measure that recognises that an 11 game member doesn't equal a 3 game member (or a 16 game member in Collingwood's case).

So...

2 - We need the AFL to calculate an '11 Game Equivalent Membership' number. Stay with me! If we assume a full blown 11 game access member is worth more than a 3 game member then a calculation could be worked out like this.

11 game member = 1 x 11 game equivalent member
3 game member = (3/11) x 11 game equivalent member (about one third the value of a 11 game member)
16 game vic home and away member = (16/11) x 11 game equivalent member (about 1.5 times the value of an 11 game member)

We could then have a measure that properly measures apples with apples.

Thoughts?

Spot on.

When we hit 60K unaudited members earlier this year (first in the state too) we managed to do it with no reference to the Tealsters, not even a single subtle dig either. It's one thing for supporters to be obsessed with each other but the little brother syndrome displayed by the PAFC admin is pathetic. If they want to talk themselves up as the big dog around town now, they've got to stop making such a big deal of the petty dick-measuring contests. They need to learn to be proud of their achievements while not worrying about what the AFC is doing.

Totally agree, although there was one subtle dig, the reference to some people making a lot of noise about the membership numbers:p

All noise, no substance. Sounds familiar:D

View attachment 166960
To explain (as Allefgib's description was gobbledygook), the difference is how many supporters rocked up to an away game against the oppositions usual home crowd. For example, Collingwood attracts an extra 16k supporters to their away games than their opposition usually attracts to their own home games. The pertinent point here is that Port attracts less supporters to an away game than GWS does.

I don't think this is sound analysis as the fixturing is not even, and away means different things for interstate teams.

Big teams get bigger fixtures home and away. When Collingwood plays Essendon, and get designated "away" what does that tell us? Port is getting more games against a St Kilda or North at less desirable time slots that a big drawing club

there's a bit of self perpetuation here

I have no problem with the restricting of 11 games membership, and I think he has communicated his position well. what isn't true, is that this position is automatically the best thing to do, as it is a gamble based on a theory. that theory being that more gameday tickets means more opportunity for the casual support and a chance to up engagement. They won't turn off so quickly, be more engaged and therefore will boost revenue later down the line. this might be right, and might be a masterstroke but its not guaranteed.

Fagan said:
As I said in the media yesterday, if we wanted to win the AFL’s Membership tally race I would turn 10,000 of our 11-game Members into 30,000 3-game Members and top the poll. I think you would agree that is not in the best interests of our footy Club!

I suspect under scrutiny he might struggle to put forward an absolute position as to why this isn't in the best interests of our footy club. Many clubs are doing the opposite to us, so it might not be quite so clear cut. the benefits to us topping out the membership tallies included momentum, positive reinforcement for supporters, increased media attention, marketing tag lines that play easy into sponsors ears and potentially scheduling with TV and AFL house. there are a lot of feel goods from that approach, and its easy to understand.

If Fagan did do just that, and explained it in those sorts of terms, the same people would be applauding that strategy too.

I am happy with his explanation and his strategy but its not right to say its the only one or the obvious one. you can argue either way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just found out the club is going to run a fan consultation session for Melbourne members with Fages. Not sure when it's being held or if folks can apply but more impressive moves by the CEO.

Yep. We are in a national competition and need to be always thinking further than West Lakes.

I don't think this is sound analysis as the fixturing is not even, and away means different things for interstate teams.

Big teams get bigger fixtures home and away. When Collingwood plays Essendon, and get designated "away" what does that tell us? Port is getting more games against a St Kilda or North at less desirable time slots that a big drawing club

Absolutely. I'm not even sure pies playing us at AO means much.. there isn't the room to sell more seats. How many show up is often a factor of timing as anything else. I was just curious to see if any trends or patterns did emerge and if so - how they might be explained.

I completely agree.

I am looking at only "interstate teams" vs Collingwood right not. We played the Pies at Etihad, Pies fans don't turn up to Etihad. GWS was at the MCG, they got a bigger crowd. Granted GWS was up and flying and in Round 2 there were still questions about us as we had a new coach. But the venue we play at does have some bearing on Crowd size too.

The AFL keep us off the MCG so the Richmond vs Bulldogs game can get almost 50K. We wouldn't draw 50K so we get Etihad, so instead of 40K we get 33K because Pies fans don't like Etihad home games..... self perpetuating.

This table looks at home crowds vs interstate teams.

We draw pretty good crowds when compared to other "interstate teams". I only looked at teams the Crows played away this year.
Collingwood is the stand out poor performer. But this year's game was Collingwood at Etihad. Collingwood fans hate Etihad and don't like going, so is fixturing a factor here?

If you like numbers, an interesting anomaly turned up in GC's attendance. Our attendance vs GC was exactly the same as Brisbane's vs GC. And is the same as the "interstate teams" average.

Home Crowds vs interstate.JPG

I understand that they converted the 11 game membership packages that didn't get renewed into game day tickets. Is that right? To convert 10,000 11 game memberships into 3 game memberships to boost numbers would mean lots of fans would have their 11 game tickets taken away. I'd be furious if that happened to me. I can't see people being happy about it.

If every year they converted non-renewals, the people on the waiting list wouldn't be happy.

Bit of a conundrum, if they want the general populace to think they're keeping up with little brother down the road.

I suspect under scrutiny he might struggle to put forward an absolute position as to why this isn't in the best interests of our footy club. Many clubs are doing the opposite to us, so it might not be quite so clear cut. the benefits to us topping out the membership tallies included momentum, positive reinforcement for supporters, increased media attention, marketing tag lines that play easy into sponsors ears and potentially scheduling with TV and AFL house. there are a lot of feel goods from that approach, and its easy to understand.

Most clubs don't have a waiting list for 11-game memberships. If we reduced the number available by another 10,000, you'd have people on the waiting list for 5-10 years before getting a ticket. IMO, that's too long.

3-game memberships might be better for a club in terms of revenue (slightly), but for someone who wants to be sure of getting a seat at every Crows game, they are not. Because we sell out every game, people with 3-game memberships have to either get to the game early enough to get a seat in GA, pay extra each game to reserve a seat, or stand on the hill. For a club that does not sell out every game, 3-game memberships involve a lot less risk in terms of satisfying the entire supporter base.

I went to school with that Lauren chick on twitter. Didn't realise how dumb she was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back