New Club Academies - Richmond Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure it's been asked (and I've been lazy and not read the whole thread) but do we get the actual Richmond area or is Collingwood/St Kilda stitching that up?

I'm sure it's been asked (and I've been lazy and not read the whole thread) but do we get the actual Richmond area or is Collingwood/St Kilda stitching that up?
find me an aboriginal that lives there

we cleaned up

Interesting point you make t_o_o. Maybe the academies serve the purpose of encroachment, more difficult for league etc to develop in these areas? Just thinking out loud....
Not sure who or how a person would qualify under a zone selection to warrant the $,s being spent outside of NSW and Qld.Waste of Money.

I live in Tatura. All I can say is, got home from work and explained to the young fella we now lived in a Richmond zone, he was stoked. Hope it provides us with something.

Also, massive Sudanese population in Shepparton. Biggest outside of, someone help me, is it Noble Park down in Melbs? Heaps of the Sudanese kids are playing sport. If we can jag a couple of them we'd be laughing. And the membership explosion if someone makes it!!
Not too much of an ethnic population in Rochy where I'm from, but wrapped to have us in the 'zone'.

Goulburn Valley apparently has a well established African migrant population too. I heard on SEN we've been the most proactive club with the zones and have really hit the ground running.
As stated, big, big Sudanese community. Most play soccer. If we get them across.....also large indigenous pop (have own club, Rumbalara). And Mildura large indigenous pop as well. With the two TAC clubs, its a good zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much that, more that I feel since we are 'Richmond' we should get the suburb in which we are historically representing just as every other Vic club should
I'm more than happy to lose access to the single suburb of Richmond in return for getting all of North Victoria

As I understand it we get to bid on kids that "we identify and develop".
What about kids from diverse backgrounds and indigenous heritage that have already been identified and are in the Murray Bushrangers squad for example. Do we get a crack at them if we include them in our development program?

As I understand it we get to bid on kids that "we identify and develop".
What about kids from diverse backgrounds and indigenous heritage that have already been identified and are in the Murray Bushrangers squad for example. Do we get a crack at them if we include them in our development program?
I dont think we can include them in our program....the whole concept (from what i've read and seen so far) is that its more for these players that wouldn't be otherwise identified. So, unless they are with us or identified before they get into a squad (no clue as to if that's even possible) then IMO I don't think we'd get "dibs" on them

I dont think we can include them in our program....the whole concept (from what i've read and seen so far) is that its more for these players that wouldn't be otherwise identified. So, unless they are with us or identified before they get into a squad (no clue as to if that's even possible) then IMO I don't think we'd get "dibs" on them
Thanks KT thats how I read it too.
I can see there being a bit of a rush by AFL clubs to get the best kids into the program as early as possible so they can say they identified them.

Not sure how it's going to work in Vic, and adding to what KT and CP said, up here in qld, there is the State Championships. So if there's a gun indigenous kid, African or Asian, they will play for the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Cairns or Brisbane combine teams. The multicultural team, which they are eligible to play in, has kids from the Tiwi islands and outer regions.
But a gun kid in a city area will not want to play in that team unless he's not good enough to make his area team.
The Vic new program, the cynic in me, reeks of a political good feeling agenda. Not sure it's going to enable teams to unearth a Nic Naitanui (and keep them due to the zone) unless as suggested they can be 'signed' early.

Just realised this and so that nobody else panics over this.....IMO I don't think little Maurice Jr would be able to go into Essendons academy as he already has the pathway of F/S to make it to AFL...because of that, he may (and dont quote me on this) not be eligible for their academy at all. So any dream they have of stealing the next Rioli from us wont work :p

Just realised this and so that nobody else panics over this.....IMO I don't think little Maurice Jr would be able to go into Essendons academy as he already has the pathway of F/S to make it to AFL...because of that, he may (and dont quote me on this) not be eligible for their academy at all. So any dream they have of stealing the next Rioli from us wont work :p
they'll get deen's fat kids

He'd get to choose anyway if it came to it.

He'd get to choose anyway if it came to it.
Yeah, but my point was that as he has the pathway to AFL through F/S I don't think he would come under the criteria of the lack of pathways (Depending on how the AFL decides to set the rules out)
If clubs can help attract and develop some talent that would be under-represented and not normally find its way into the AFL pathway
From what Mark Evans has said there, it sounds like a potential F/S won't be eligible to go under the Academy branding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back