Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

**** me the amount of Patriot bashing on this board has risen to an all time high. I think i'll just stick to the Patriots thread from now on.

Looking at tears is fun though.

They piled up all the snow in the car park. This is a photo of the place I'm staying with friends in Boston (Reading).

View attachment 108807

I got some people in that neighborhood! They got 10 foot blades if your struggling :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** me the amount of Patriot bashing on this board has risen to an all time high. I think i'll just stick to the Patriots thread from now on.
It's never changed trust me, they just have their moments. Jealous bunch, suck my Lombardi

Last edited:
I let rip, been waiting a while to do that around here. There's a hand full of good posters on this forum but the *heads outweigh the sensible people. It was very vindicating.

It's certainly a different world for The Butler now. He was just an unassuming corner, living in the shadow of Revis, now he's the hero of the north east states (and Vicksburg) and known around the globe. It'll be interesting to see what happens with his career from here.

I could watch his play 1000 times without getting bored of it. Amazing work by Browner and Butler...and Bevell.

So a month after the great victory......still feel soooo good.

What are the thoughts of other Patriots on the following being on the roster next year ?!

Revis , Wilfork and McCourty.

My 2 cents worth.

McCourty : will be retained as his influence on field and in the locker room is so important..

Wilfork : 50/50 his production has been down and he is on a chunk of coin , also one of Robert Kraft's favourite players. If he takes a significant pay cut then he stays however if he wants top dollar then he will need to look elsewhere. Not a lot of sentiment with BB if he can trade Logan Mankins on the eve of a season then no one is safe.

Revis : The harsh reality is that DR always goes where the money is and the big question is this : now that he has a ring is he ever more likely to chase the coin or.... is the lure of becoming a multiple Super Bowl winner enough to see him stay. The cost to retain him is going to be very high is that cost effective !?!?.... seeing as it will count as 25 million against the cap.... probably not, lets face it you could pick up a couple of very handy players in FA with that sort of coin. Or will BB and company be able to secure DR on a long term deal that pays him well into the future and at the same time still reduces the hit in 2015/16.

I am interested in the thoughts of others.

McCourty I think is crucial to retain, even if it is at the expense of the other 2. Devin is such a versatile player and a strong presence in and around the team that losing him would be a massive blow, second only to losing TFB. And he's part of the Rutgers mafia that seems to have infiltrated the Patriots in recent years.

It'd be good to keep Wilfork around, just because he's Vince Wilfork, his presence alone makes a difference I think. A lot like Ray Lewis towards the end at Baltimore, he wasn't nearly as good but his presence in the team is immense. The fact that he does appear to be a personal favourite of Mr Kraft may well see him stick around, though he may well see it as the perfect way to go out. Agreed it's 50/50 wouldn't be surprised to see him go, would be delighted if he stayed.

Revis is the question mark. He left the Jets for the cash at Tampa, then said * that noise and headed for decent coin at Foxboro but a more realistic chance of winning a ring. Perhaps the lure of reuniting with Rex in a decent defence might see Revis shoot off for upstate New York. I'd like to keep him, he was as good as expected, makes life easier for the other corner and the rest of the defence knowing that we've got the best at his job sitting back there. If I had to bet I'd say he'll stay, I think Revis seems like the kind of guy that once he's won once, he'll want to do it again. Again like Wilfork I wouldn't be shocked if he left, but would love it if he stayed.

Gostkowski is unrestricted FA this year too I think, as much as kickers are easy to find, he's a decent one and I'd hate to lose him. Though I said the same about Vinatieri and his replacement turned out alright. Isn't Vereen also unrestricted? Another one of those that you'd have to see in another uniform, but there's only so much money to spend, unless they take well under the odds.

Revis is the question mark. He left the Jets for the cash at Tampa, then said **** that noise and headed for decent coin at Foxboro but a more realistic chance of winning a ring. Perhaps the lure of reuniting with Rex in a decent defence might see Revis shoot off for upstate New York. I'd like to keep him, he was as good as expected, makes life easier for the other corner and the rest of the defence knowing that we've got the best at his job sitting back there. If I had to bet I'd say he'll stay, I think Revis seems like the kind of guy that once he's won once, he'll want to do it again. Again like Wilfork I wouldn't be shocked if he left, but would love it if he stayed.

Being pedantic, the Jets traded Revis because Woody Johnson was sick of him regularly holding out at the urging of his uncle and agent whenever some other cornerback got a better contract than Revis. He was also coming off an ACL tear and the previous GM, Mike Tannenbaum, had negotiated with Revis and his agents a contract which specifically prohibited the Jets from using the franchise tag on Revis to keep him on for a year while they sorted out a new contract.

The Bucs traded for the premier man-to-man cornerback and then Greg Schiano, the greatest coach in the world, decided to play a zone defence which nullified his skill set. Lovie Smith, when he replaced Schiano, thought that Revis' cap hit was too rich for the Bucs to absorb, and he green-lit Revis to be cut.

According to multiple reports out of NY media at the time, Revis actually reached out to the Jets to see if they were interested in re-signing him, and Idzik said 'no'. I'm purely speculating, but I believe that Idzik was operating under instructions from Woody, even though Rex would have loved to have Revis back.

He signs with the Patriots, and wins a Super Bowl ring.

I don't think that the Patriots could have used the franchise tag on Revis because they hold a team option on Revis for the coming season.

Presumably the Patriots are confident of reaching a deal with McCourty, because if he hits free agency I don't think he'd be back. Other teams would offer him a huge deal comparatively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back