Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Seems a solid to very good pick up at 32. Malcolm Brown from Texas.
Versatile, run blocker and in an obvious area of need. Rated Top 20 by most.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
It's difficult not to sit here with a big fat smile. The Patriots are building an excellent front 7 (on paper anyway). They're 1 LB short and I see the team possibly adding to this mix.

Interior Linemen: Alan Branch, Sealver Siliga, Dominique Easley, Malcom Brown, Chris Jones
Exterior Linemen: Rob Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Jabaal Sheard, Michael Buchanon, Zach Moore* (who could be anything)
Linebackers: Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Jerod Mayo

That's a young, athletic, potentially disruptive unit with enough size to be stout against the run. I like it a lot.

If the Patriots address Guard and Corner, they're in excellent shape heading into the season.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
It wouldn't be a real Pats draft without us reaching on a shortish safety :)

In Bill we trust
Given their draft position, the Patriots have to take chances on players with an outstanding quality. Collins' athleticism was outstanding and Richards' football intelligence appears to be outstanding. Personally, I think it's an overdraft but I'm used to that from BB now.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Given their draft position, the Patriots have to take chances on players with an outstanding quality. Collins' athleticism was outstanding and Richards' football intelligence appears to be outstanding. Personally, I think it's an overdraft but I'm used to that from BB now.

I don't disagree...

I just laugh when I see safety/BB/reach in draft commentary :)

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Anyone have anything interesting on Grissom?

I note we also traded 96 and a 7th for a 4th, 5th and 6th.
Not really but it is interesting that the Patriots are loading up in the front 7. With the team's DB situation (i.e. uncertainty surrounding the starters), you can't be too disappointed that they're add size and speed to the unit.

I was thrilled with our first round selection. Brown :):thumbsu:

Not so the second......... * me, Jordan Richards :eek: :thumbsdown: I immediately thought here we go again another Tavon Wilson :mad: an undersized secondary that was projected as a 5-6 rounder and we end up spending a second on him. WTF !!!!!!!!

Oh well in BB we have to place our faith.

The read on Grissom reads as a typical BB pick as positional versatility is always viewed as an asset , anyway Mayock seemed to liken the pick as very New England.

I don't mind the Grissom pick but the Richards pick.......... pisses me off big time.

Still have not addressed the following > CB, OL,WR, RB, however we have a remaining six picks to bolster our deficiencies.

And ausbacker had a crack at me for taking Golson in the second round of the mock......I reckon its a better selection than Richards.:p

Tre Flowers, Tre Jackson and Shaquille Mason as consecutive 4th round picks is enough to consider this draft a face value win.

I like all theses three picks and agree that they finish the draft off nicely.
Apart from Richards I am pretty happy with the selections and BB is building a formidable front seven with some excellent versatility and foot speed.

Hopefully we were able to pick some hidden gems up with the latter picks of
Cardona . LS
Wells. LB
Derby. TE
Roberts. CB
Dickson. OLD

and the Undrafted FA.
Andrews. C 6'2" 295lbs Georgia
Jean. CB 6'3" 180lbs UAB
Gardner. WR 6'4" 218lbs Micnigan

Lets be honest after the fifth round its a crap shoot.

But all in all a good three days.

Now ......just do your job.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Call me an optimist but I'm really interested to see how Marshall CB Darryl Roberts transitions to the NFL. He's got exceptional athleticism and in my reading, countless draftniks have been calling him a potential sleeper. Truthfully, he could end up being a Practice Squad player but hell, few people expected Minitron to turn into the weapon he has become.

6'0, 182 lbs with 4.38 40 yard dash and a 6.66 3 cone drill is interesting to say the least.

Call me an optimist but I'm really interested to see how Marshall CB Darryl Roberts transitions to the NFL. He's got exceptional athleticism and in my reading, countless draftniks have been calling him a potential sleeper. Truthfully, he could end up being a Practice Squad player but hell, few people expected Minitron to turn into the weapon he has become.

6'0, 182 lbs with 4.38 40 yard dash and a 6.66 3 cone drill is interesting to say the least.

ausbaker he could well be a hidden gem. From memory I recall that BB sent Dante Scarnecchia to watch and follow Roberts progress last season , in fact I am sure he did some private work outs with Dante.
So there is every chance that we have banked that info. He sure as hell is quick.

I am wanting to see how Tre Flowers transitions as he ( apart from the plug in Brown ) excites me the most as I think Flowers is a ripper selection and had he come out of the college system a year earlier was highly talked up. None of his 2014 production did anything to lessee his credentials. I just get this feeling that he is going to surprise a few and transition well and in the same manner as Jamie Collins did.

That's the beauty's of this time of the year every one is a winner until they prove otherwise.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
ausbaker he could well be a hidden gem. From memory I recall that BB sent Dante Scarnecchia to watch and follow Roberts progress last season , in fact I am sure he did some private work outs with Dante.
So there is every chance that we have banked that info. He sure as hell is quick.

I am wanting to see how Tre Flowers transitions as he ( apart from the plug in Brown ) excites me the most as I think Flowers is a ripper selection and had he come out of the college system a year earlier was highly talked up. None of his 2014 production did anything to lessee his credentials. I just get this feeling that he is going to surprise a few and transition well and in the same manner as Jamie Collins did.

That's the beauty's of this time of the year every one is a winner until they prove otherwise.
Jackson and Mason back to back in the fourth gave me Butlerception wood. They may prove to be busts but right now, the Patriots response to the moves of the AFC East to get nastier on their DLs has been to get nastier on OL. That in itself shows the tremendous insight of BB. When others zig, he zags. To stay ahead of the game, BB is constantly changing the landscape. It's a credit to his philosophy.

gave me Butlerception wood.

lol

Yes so noted about the OL and I also think that BB has beefed up the disruptive elements of the DL as well. He has certainly added some quickness and versatility to the front seven, which in turn takes some heat off the secondary. As you rightly pointed out earlier BB is putting together a young and exciting set of defensive linemen.

The name of the game for the rest of the AFC is to limit our offensive advantage, hence their efforts to bolster and create a nastier DL. Fortunately for us their own offensive threats are below par : The Bills and Gangrene have poor QB's that cant convert or sustain pressure on a drive and the Fins are so hot and cold that they shoot themselves in the foot .
Try as they might Brady and BB will work a way around any concerted efforts to restrict our scoring potential. So giving TB some more protection is a good move. Whilst simultaneously putting more heat on their substandard offensive efforts.
The three other AFC teams will always be playing catch up whilst # 12 is the QB.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
lol

Yes so noted about the OL and I also think that BB has beefed up the disruptive elements of the DL as well. He has certainly added some quickness and versatility to the front seven, which in turn takes some heat off the secondary. As you rightly pointed out earlier BB is putting together a young and exciting set of defensive linemen.

The name of the game for the rest of the AFC is to limit our offensive advantage, hence their efforts to bolster and create a nastier DL. Fortunately for us their own offensive threats are below par : The Bills and Gangrene have poor QB's that cant convert or sustain pressure on a drive and the Fins are so hot and cold that they shoot themselves in the foot .
Try as they might Brady and BB will work a way around any concerted efforts to restrict our scoring potential. So giving TB some more protection is a good move. Whilst simultaneously putting more heat on their substandard offensive efforts.
The three other AFC teams will always be playing catch up whilst # 12 is the QB.
I've always been of the opinion that Brady can make stars out of s**t. All that's needed is a stout OL providing him with time to do so. Hell, he was one half from a Super Bowl in 2006 with the sorriest collection of skill position players of all time.

I feel pretty good about this team moving forward. Sure, the Secondary (well CB) is in a state of flux but the rest of the roster looks damn good.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
A dominant O line can make almost any NFL standard QB look good. That'd be my number 1 aim if for some reason you couldn't get a top notch QB.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
odds on favs for super bowl after this debacle anyone?
That depends on four things:
  1. If Tom Brady is suspended by Goodell, the length of the suspension;
  2. Whether or not the secondary gels and performs to a reasonable level;
  3. Offensive Line protection; and
  4. Rob Gronkowski's health.
Looking at the AFC, it will invariably come down to the same teams. Interestingly, outside of the Colts (I'm also unsure on the Broncos right now), the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals had decent drafts. Couple that with a supposedly strengthened AFC East and this season is going to be rather interesting to say the least.

Back