Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed it was. They played local footy there in the early part of last century and it hosted a VFL between Geelong and Essendon in the 50s.

But yeah, i drive past it once a week and it really is tiny. You'd have to turf the track area to make it anywhere close to suitable. But they've done it all up recently - don't think they'd want to start over.

I know they've spent a packet on the new convention centre, and the buildings on the other side of Gregory Tce are still being worked on. But the main arena looks like it hasn't been touched in decades.

It is tiny though. Even including the track, it's only 155m long and 130m wide. Would be great for preparing to play the Swans in Sydney ;)

- Holden precision driving team participation at training for a week a year;
I've been out of town. But this! This! Cue 'Playing to Win' by LRB fronted by Farnsy.

On a side note did anyone ever see those guys who used to do the Ford/Holden Precision driving team thing with lawnmowers in Southbank as arttainement? All to Playing to win of course. Genius!

Interesting initiative from Port:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-fitness-program/story-fnia6ojc-1226952928211

PORT Adelaide’s growing reputation in the AFL for fitness programs is now part of a university curriculum.
The Power and the University of SA have signed a memorandum of understanding to jointly manage a “Centre of High Performance Sport.”

Wonder if the Lions have considered a similar alliance with QUT or UQ? They use UQ's grounds occasionally don't they?

It is probably a stretch to think it'd be a Springfield "replacement", but did get me thinking...what if they struck an agreement for training at UQ's ovals and located the admin centre nearby? Would that open up more options.

As an extension of that, it is probably a numpty question, but do the admin and training centres have to be in the same place? I'd have thought having a combined centre would be ideal, but if there's no politically and financially ideal option...

As an extension of that, it is probably a numpty question, but do the admin and training centres have to be in the same place? I'd have thought having a combined centre would be ideal, but if there's no politically and financially ideal option...

I wonder about this too. I have no sense of the day to day practicalities and training schedules, so it is hard to make a judgement, but would it be feasible to find new gym and office facilities to replace those at the gabba and relieve the financial constraint, then continue training at the various ovals we have available to us? My guess would be that finding a single acceptable location to build both is a big part of the problem. It would be interesting to know how much the potential conflict of interest may have driven us to be dogmatically for a combined facility.

Furter to Bobs.....

A large portion of the funding of the Bulldogs building improvements down here at the Whitten Oval, was from a mix of Govt and Educational money - and private benefactors of course. Its now referred to as 'The Victoria University Whitten Oval'. So there is the oval, the Bulldogs training facilities, plus Community Sports Centre, and other faciliies used by Victoria University and others. The oval is also shared with the local female Footy League.

Also worth a mention - StKilda's Seaford setup is also used by local junior footy leagues for playing. I've seen it while coasting past on the highway. Those kids are playing on pristine grass.

North Melb's Arden St redevelopment was also partially Govt funded, and largely due to it being a public access sporting hub - community gym, other sports have access etc.

I guess the point is that those poor Clubs have sourced a chunk of the funding, by offering up the facilities to other organisations, public use, and educational. Linking to an educational institution is really smart thinking in my eyes.

Well things just got a bit interesting

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...urse-in-exchange-for-land-20140619-zsfh7.html

Developer BMD Group is set to build an 18-hole public golf course on 125 hectares of council-owned bushland in exchange for a slice of the land which it will develop for residential use.

The golf course will remain in public hands, but be paid for by the developer.

In return for building and financing the golf course, BMD will be given 12.5 hectares of higher land from the 125-hectare site to build 123 homes on land off Creek Road, near Richmond Street.

From the map in the top right corner there seems to be a whole lot of spare space above and to the left of the housing development? Space for an oval and admin building? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here, but it certainly is interesting that its now been approved.

1403180266696.jpg-620x349.jpg

further 12.5 hectares is 125,000 sqm. 123 houses at 500sqm multiplied by 1.2 (for roads, other spaces etc) is about 74,000 sqm. Which leaves about 51,000 sqm left over........

That Golf Course has been mooted for a long time. I believe it was mentioned here during the recent discussion of adjoining Minnippi Parklands.

Wonder if fans will be as red hot with conflict of interest allegations with Mick Power if the Lions facilities got added to this project or if they'd be willing to turn their head and cough for the sake of staying in the heartland. ;)

further 12.5 hectares is 125,000 sqm. 123 houses at 500sqm multiplied by 1.2 (for roads, other spaces etc) is about 74,000 sqm. Which leaves about 51,000 sqm left over........

Is that left over land part of the parcel being cleared?

Article says the development comes off the back end of a decade of wrangling with environmental protection regulations. I'd be very surprised if the addition of football facilities could be approved in a timely fashion.

Is that left over land part of the parcel being cleared?

Article says the development comes off the back end of a decade of wrangling with environmental protection regulations. I'd be very surprised if the addition of football facilities could be approved in a timely fashion.

Not sure. Just seems strange that they've been given 12.5 hectares yet only 123 houses? My initial thoughts was that the tree clearing issues were related largely to where the golf course was but who knows. I would have thought that if BMD were going to do that deal then they would have wanted the 12.5 hectares to be used as they wished.

As Kevvo said there's still all the construction funding issues there as well so I doubt there would be anything to come of it just thought it was interesting timing although the BCC budget just came out which probably was the trigger.

Yes its a hard one re the possible conflicts of interest. Are we more accepting because its in Brisbane? The realist in me says that yes most people would be. Whether thats right or not i'm not sure.

The difference (as I see it) is that the Springfield deal was the developer's land, being paid for and developed by Council and funded federally and locally. In other words the public purse was being opened to provide infrastructure to SLC (and The Lions).
In this scenario, the tables are turned somewhat, so that the council will still own the land and a large chunk, while being gifted to the developer, will still be at BMD's expense.
I can see it as a conflict of interest from a public purse point of view, but not so much from the Lions side of things.
It would depend on who is paying the larger share of a "Lions project".
Probably a moot point anyway unless someone can secure some serious government $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad cash grab by the council too I have to say. More dwindling of green space in the inner suburbs. Yes, you can argue a Golf Course is still green, but it will do considerable ecological damage. Just have to hope that the wetlands on the east side of Bulimba Creek remain protected.

This Cannon Hill resident will join the picket if there is one. :/

Also, even if the land was available to us, I'd imagine we're still short a bucketload of cash to build the facilities.
I hope you guys get the facilities off the ground.

Likely you'd need the money for sure, but I could imagine looking at the AFL to help up a little may help, look at govt funding. Or simular to Essendon with theirs, perhaps look at partnering with someone with better govt access - The Australian (or, maybe just Victoria, without checking) paraolympians co-tennent our facilities too and have access to it that I would imagine made it more open to govt funding (maybe not Abbott atm thoug)

Sad cash grab by the council too I have to say. More dwindling of green space in the inner suburbs. Yes, you can argue a Golf Course is still green, but it will do considerable ecological damage. Just have to hope that the wetlands on the east side of Bulimba Creek remain protected.

This Cannon Hill resident will join the picket if there is one. :/
Did I hear on the news yesterday that BCC are 2million in debt (or was it billion??).
With asset sales being unpopular, maybe asset conversion will be a less contested money spinner.
Easier to fight residents and greenies than unions perhaps.

Cheers, I did think as I was typing that million didn't sound like much (for BCC).
2 billion is a fair whack. I suppose once the bushland is gone, Quirky will be selling his kids' kidneys.

That Golf Course has been mooted for a long time. I believe it was mentioned here during the recent discussion of adjoining Minnippi Parklands.

Wonder if fans will be as red hot with conflict of interest allegations with Mick Power if the Lions facilities got added to this project or if they'd be willing to turn their head and cough for the sake of staying in the heartland. ;)

I'm always willing to turn my head and cough...

Just scared of hernias is all.

Only the area bounded by existing housing to the south, creek road to the west, the proposed access road to the north and proposed subdivision to the east would be anywhere near suitable and even then you'd need to level it for playing fields. The land at the very north west has a creek which is prone to flash flooding.

Heads of Agreement expires Monday. Nothing is stirring, not even a mouse.

Expectations for what we'll hear Tuesday morning?
Hopefully a quiet dirge from Ipswich.

Heads of Agreement expires Monday. Nothing is stirring, not even a mouse.

Expectations for what we'll hear Tuesday morning?

"The Brisbane Lions wish to announce that we have signed a twelve month extension.
This will allow our incoming CEO the time, and opportunity to conduct a thorough and robust analytical review of the due process with regards to the Springfield location.
We would expect that we will be in a position to finalise this option immediately after the new CEO tables his report supporting our original decision."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back