Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

"The Brisbane Lions wish to announce that we have signed a twelve month extension.
This will allow our incoming CEO the time, and opportunity to conduct a thorough and robust analytical review of the due process with regards to the Springfield location.
We would expect that we will be in a position to finalise this option immediately after the new CEO tables his report supporting our original decision."

That is my #1 fear.

What does this all mean now?...have to admit to losing track of the nitty gritty of it all.

....and "thorough and robust"?

Haven't we heard that before?

What does this all mean now?...have to admit to losing track of the nitty gritty of it all.

....and "thorough and robust"?

Haven't we heard that before?

Basically, the Lions are contractually committed in terms to the Springfield project but as of next Tuesday the agreement will expire, and Ipswich City Council is likely to still be well short of their funding obligations under the agreement.

In short, if the Lions want out or wish to explore other options, they will have the right to do so as of Tuesday. Ipswich Council reportedly want the agreement extended for an extra year for them to secure the funding. The club hasn't agreed to that (yet).

Doddgey's post wasn't an official club statement, just a prediction for what they might say.

Thanks TBD.....I know that this will leave us high and dry, but isn't it better we are out of such a conflicted arrangement?

p.s...I thought it must've been an announcement or something today....have just logged on.

Thanks TBD.....I know that this will leave us high and dry, but isn't it better we are out of such a conflicted arrangement?

Definitely a case for that, especially if other options have been privately presented to us in the meantime. We won't really know until after next Tuesday. Let's hope the club are ready to actually... y'know... communicate with us.

Unfortunately probably nothing will happen today, I doubt there's any restrictions on the parties to the Springfield Heads of Agreement extending the term following the expiration date. Sharpless has already said the new CEO will review the decision following their appointment.

It was funny on Saturday at Browny's award "and here is Bob Sharpless to present the award..."

There was a ripple of applause like the ripple a tiny insect makes on a pond.

It was funny on Saturday at Browny's award "and here is Bob Sharpless to present the award..."

There was a ripple of applause like the ripple a tiny insect makes on a pond.

There was booing from a fair few in my section. Really hoping it didn't get picked up by the TV cameras. Just embarrassing for our Club on a night that should have been all about Brown. Why they didn't get Leigh to do the presentation, I don't know.

There was booing from a fair few in my section. Really hoping it didn't get picked up by the TV cameras. Just embarrassing for our Club on a night that should have been all about Brown. Why they didn't get Leigh to do the presentation, I don't know.

I didn't hear any booing but there was a fair few mutters (mainly me). Would of been a nicer dovetail if Leigh did it.

There was booing from a fair few in my section. Really hoping it didn't get picked up by the TV cameras. Just embarrassing for our Club on a night that should have been all about Brown.
Listening to the replay the boos were just audible. At the game I was surprised by the reaction from a supposedly 'disengaged' Brissy fanbase, especially in a moment when they were flush from a win and ready to clap just about anything. The silence from the majority was as damning as the booing from the minority. But I was also disappointed. As you suggested, it wasn't really the time for it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sharpless didn't there would be just as many complaining that our Chairman was absent.

Such a non issue.

Rightio.

At least those murmurings would have been done on BF, and not in front of a national audience.

P.S. Didn't hear too many complaining that Bob didn't handle the retirement presser.

I had no problem with Bob doing it, he is our president at the moment, i thought he was quick to the point and handed over to Browny no problems. As for his role in Springfield I think it unlikely that most in the crowd are as intimately aware of it as us.

I think it was right for Bob Sharpless to be doing it. But, it would be great if our Chairman had a bit of inspirational public presentation to him.

We're constantly told "Football Clubs are Business" now. The ability to inspire verbally through basic public speaking skills is vital in business. The best leaders in business tend to be great public communicators. I just don't think he's good in that area.

At least he said what needed saying and kept it brief. Not happy with him being chairman, but he is and it was right for him to make the presentation. Imagine the chairman NOT making a presentation at that occasion. It certainly wasn't the right time to boo. As it was, the presentation was right in front of my section at ground level, and I hardly heard a word he said, the crowd started a very loud "Brow-nee" chant which was hard to pick up on the telecast.
As for the deafening silence when he took the mic, I think that was more due to a huge percentage of the crowd not knowing who he was rather than a deliberate effort not to acknowledge him.

Imagine the chairman NOT making a presentation at that occasion.

It never would've occurred to me that he would be expected to.

Maybe I just don't pay attention to these things normally, but is it usual for a club's chairman to speak in such circumstances? Honest question to the forum. If it really is accepted practice and would've drawn comment otherwise then I suppose that's one thing, but I thought at the time and still do really that he made a deliberate, unnecessary decision to put himself on that podium.

It never would've occurred to me that he would be expected to.

Maybe I just don't pay attention to these things normally, but is it usual for a club's chairman to speak in such circumstances? Honest question to the forum. If it really is accepted practice and would've drawn comment otherwise then I suppose that's one thing, but I thought at the time and still do really that he made a deliberate, unnecessary decision to put himself on that podium.
Don't know about normal, but I personally would think that the 'head honcho' of the club should make some sort of presentation to the next most important bloke at the club at his farewell (whoever it is on the day).

Like him or not, it was his place to adjudicate.....anyone less and it would not have looked good for the club.

Him getting booed didn't look good for the Club. Again, if it was so important he did it, why not the presser last Monday? Agree with Ironmonger — it came across as a cynical attempt to ingratiate himself with a supporter base he knows full well (thanks to the work of TLR) do not support him.

Personally would have found it far more fitting for the bloke who coached Brown in three premierships — and is the current Director overseeing football matters — to have done it. And that man is not less in any sense of the word.

Him getting booed didn't look good for the Club. Again, if it was so important he did it, why not the presser last Monday? Agree with Ironmonger — it came across as a cynical attempt to ingratiate himself with a supporter base he knows full well (thanks to the work of TLR) do not support him.

Personally would have found it far more fitting for the bloke who coached Brown in three premierships — and is the current Director overseeing football matters — to have done it. And that man is not less in any sense of the word.
Pretty sure Leigh was in Melbourne this weekend as he was commentating on sat and did game day on Sunday. The fact he has to spend a lot of weekends in Melbourne is a large part of why he isn't really suited to chairman of the club. Board role and spokesman for the club suits him to a tee

Pretty sure Leigh was in Melbourne this weekend as he was commentating on sat and did game day on Sunday. The fact he has to spend a lot of weekends in Melbourne is a large part of why he isn't really suited to chairman of the club. Board role and spokesman for the club suits him to a tee

Doesn't Koch (Port Adelaide) operate as a fly in/fly out Chairman out of Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back