Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints in line to go marching back to Junction Oval after AFL brokers complex deal

3008jungo_729-620x349.jpg

The AFL has pledged $10 million to secure the return of St Kilda to its heartland. In a complex multi-sport agreement backed by the Victorian government and masterminded by AFL chief Gillon McLachlan the Saints would train permanently at a redeveloped ground opposite the Junction Oval in Fitzroy Street. Sheffield Shield cricket would move from the MCG to the Junction Oval. McLachlan this week put forward his multi-million dollar blueprint to the Premier Denis Napthine and the plan has won initial support from the state government. The romantic and now highly likely notion of St Kilda returning to St Kilda has also won local government support from the City of Port Phillip.

For those in the know in regards to a new Lions facility, are the AFL and QLD State Government upping their efforts to get us something?

Bloody frustrating considering the Saints already have a new state of the art facility, just not in a desirable location, yet we're rotting away with sub-standards facilities.

If you ask me, the Saints ill-fated move to Seaford should serve as a timely reminder of moving to a posting in the middle of nowhere such as Springfiled that the players just will not support. For our sake, I hope we can get something inner city Brisbane or even UQ.

All being reviewed. Problem we have is getting funding from the QLD government for facilities for a sport no one cares about. Hopefully things have improved lately and the govt is getting on board.

Multi-sport & Vic Govt is the essential phrase in that article, & should be our approach if we are serious about government funding,IMO.

No doubt multi purpose will help get more govt support and funding. Might end up being the way it happens. Especially if we manage to get a great location close to the CBD. They wont gift that kind of land to AFL. TBH, if we can own the facilities and be able to rent some of it out to other organisations that would be ideal at helping to lower costs on the facility as well.

The Newman government are certainly leaving the bribery late this term... I haven't really witnessed any yet - only concessions of "missteps". There have to be a few pots of gold available to buy some public goodwill by now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Newman government are certainly leaving the bribery late this term... I haven't really witnessed any yet - only concessions of "missteps". There have to be a few pots of gold available to buy some public goodwill by now!
I think they're still ignorant of the public opinion and the difference between right & wrong. Wouldn't know where to start with giving voters what they actually want.

While I'll accept it if it's what Swan goes with - I was dropping off my brother at the army base just beyond Springfield so i had a little drive around. I couldn't help but think how far out from the city it is and notice that it's still mostly bush. It made me wonder if that's what GWS's location is like and how much more in favour id prefer to be at the GCS living as it's not an overly attractive location tbh. It might be in 25 years. But right now it's a bushland with some development housing and freshly built small businesses. Spending full days out there (e.g. training in the morning and gym in the afternoon) isn't something I'd be too pumped up to be doing as an athlete. Then again that's just me.

Only real thing going for it is the fact there is nothing out there so land isn't an issue.

Anyways just my thoughts after driving through and having a look at the place.

And do we have an alternative plan? I am presuming people are hearing things through their contacts. Presser today?

I believe the deal or the lease agreement signed by all parties involved in the Lions Springfield facility included deadlines by which time construction works were to commence (I think by end of this year?) and the facility completed by a certain time. In the event that the project was to be delayed or to fall through altogether, either the Springfield Land Corporation or Ipswich Council or both, would pay the club compensation/penalties.

I can't remember the amount, however 2 million sounds like a nice round and familiar figure. Also, if memory serves, the Lions would be able to walk away from the deal, no strings attached if construction works had not commenced by that certain date.

Can anyone elaborate on this, and whether the club will be receiving the compensation payouts?

I believe the deal or the lease agreement signed by all parties involved in the Lions Springfield facility included deadlines by which time construction works were to commence (I think by end of this year?) and the facility completed by a certain time. In the event that the project was to be delayed or to fall through altogether, either the Springfield Land Corporation or Ipswich Council or both, would pay the club compensation/penalties.

I can't remember the amount, however 2 million sounds like a nice round and familiar figure. Also, if memory serves, the Lions would be able to walk away from the deal, no strings attached if construction works had not commenced by that certain date.

Can anyone elaborate on this, and whether the club will be receiving the compensation payouts?
I don't know, but I would be surprised.
  1. You would think any contract would be subject to finance (which we didn't have), and
  2. Part of the reason we dipped out on commonwealth funding was because no contract was in place (IIRC).

No that was only if things went ahead was my take - we never consummated the marriage thus the contract penalties do not apply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back