Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if they looked at Allan Border Field at Albion?

The new Cricket Australia high performance centre is based there, so could possibly share some facilities. Several other fields in that area too.

They play Shield games there don't they? I'd have thought centre square issues would put the kibosh on it.

Does anyone know if they looked at Allan Border Field at Albion?

The new Cricket Australia high performance centre is based there, so could possibly share some facilities. Several other fields in that area too.

Also noticed this article from a few weeks ago, looks like no USA trip this year.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...ming-to-the-city/story-fnj9yd7s-1227033099892

Can see that going well..... In all seriousness given our frosty relationship with cricket and the gabba over pitches I don't think we'd be looking to train on an oval that has a pitch on it. Also that facility has just been rebuilt and is used for cricket all year round. No chance there. Also the Brisbane Bombers NRL bid have an agreement for land round there if they get a licence. Personally I think QSAC would be a better option but theres a state election coming up next year so a bit of land may appear where there was no land before. Especially given the whole strong choices planning looks like starting before the next election.

Also the altitude training was probably off the cards a while ago I would have imagined. We've used Noosa for pre season trips before so maybe somewhere on the sunshine coast may be utilised this year?

No that was only if things went ahead was my take - we never consummated the marriage thus the contract penalties do not apply.

Malcolm Holmes told me that a 99 year *Lease had been signed, with a rental of $1.

Neither the development itself nor the funding for it was the Lion's concern/responsibility. The Lions were/are to be tenants. The *Lease had been executed, and I am fairly certain that the KPI's I spoke of earlier were in the lease, or so I was told by Holmes. He was particularly excited by the whole financial deal, and that Springfield Land Corporation and Ipswich Council had guaranteed to deliver the whole shebang.

* if not a Lease, a Heads of Agreement to lease, a contract regardless

Malcolm Holmes told me that a 99 year *Lease had been signed, with a rental of $1.

Neither the development itself nor the funding for it was the Lion's concern/responsibility. The Lions were/are to be tenants. The *Lease had been executed, and I am fairly certain that the KPI's I spoke of earlier were in the lease, or so I was told by Holmes. He was particularly excited by the whole financial deal, and that Springfield Land Corporation and Ipswich Council had guaranteed to deliver the whole shebang.

* if not a Lease, a Heads of Agreement to lease, a contract regardless

My understanding is that it was the latter. It was conditional upon a number of things, including funding being secured. The failure to secure that funding meant the condition was not satisfied which meant that the contract either terminated or was able to be terminated at the club's discretion.

My understanding is that it was the latter. It was conditional upon a number of things, including funding being secured. The failure to secure that funding meant the condition was not satisfied which meant that the contract either terminated or was able to be terminated at the club's discretion.

Yes, I guess that makes sense. If the missing piece, funding from the federal governments was secured, and it all went ahead, then compensation for not meeting completion dates would kick in. Given that the Lions would have given notice to their current landlord (Qld Gov) at the Gabba, it would have been a sensible safety net to put into contract.

Can see that going well..... In all seriousness given our frosty relationship with cricket and the gabba over pitches I don't think we'd be looking to train on an oval that has a pitch on it. Also that facility has just been rebuilt and is used for cricket all year round. No chance there. Also the Brisbane Bombers NRL bid have an agreement for land round there if they get a licence. Personally I think QSAC would be a better option but theres a state election coming up next year so a bit of land may appear where there was no land before. Especially given the whole strong choices planning looks like starting before the next election.

Also the altitude training was probably off the cards a while ago I would have imagined. We've used Noosa for pre season trips before so maybe somewhere on the sunshine coast may be utilised this year?

Yeah. Fair enough. Just thought with Saints moving to Junction Oval, being a cricket ground might not be a huge issue if just using the facilities, which I have heard are world class.

Yeah. Fair enough. Just thought with Saints moving to Junction Oval, being a cricket ground might not be a huge issue if just using the facilities, which I have heard are world class.

Remember we're looking for a home for our entire football club, administration and all. That requires a full building, not just training facilities. The saints are getting a whole different oval to train on next to the cricket field that exists and a rebuilt training centre. Unsure whether they're moving their admin as well though. We need to get out of the gabba for both gym and recovery facilities as well as administration.

Also I was incorrect about albion raceway, its been redeveloped for the greyhounds. Bombers agreement is for the middle of one of the other raceways, eagle farm perhaps from memory?

Geez I drive past deagon raceway every day and my goodness there's a lot of land in the middle of that track. I know they were looking at redeveloping the racetrack many years ago but not sure what happened to that. Could fit almost two football fields in there iand an admin centre its that big.

Lol, Fev would never have left training if we had our training base in the middle of the tracks. Would have been hilarious watching him blow up out of no where after a race had crossed the line. The tracks are close to some really nice suburbs as well... tis a nice dream anyway. It would be ironic if we did move there though, considering what business our previous CEO had been involved in.

Depends how the condition was framed. If a condition precedent then there is no binding contract if the condition is not met. If a condition subsequent, then, as you say, the contract is at an end.

Just a tangential thought, does anybody here know how the academy set-up works in terms of training? Specifically, would the academy kids be affected by any movement of our facilities?

I get the impression that quite a few of the academy kids are promising multi-sport types. I wonder if moving our facilities to a remote training base could seriously disrupt the ability of some parents to get the kids to the facilities on a weekly/regular basis, and whether that might result in us losing those kids to the other codes we were trying to get them from?

Just a tangential thought, does anybody here know how the academy set-up works in terms of training? Specifically, would the academy kids be affected by any movement of our facilities?

I get the impression that quite a few of the academy kids are promising multi-sport types. I wonder if moving our facilities to a remote training base could seriously disrupt the ability of some parents to get the kids to the facilities on a weekly/regular basis, and whether that might result in us losing those kids to the other codes we were trying to get them from?

At the moment, they split training between Coorparoo and the Gabba plus the regional hubs. If (and it's a big if) we moved to Burpengary they may still train closer to the city. Either that, or they'd split into two groups which wouldn't be that advantageous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please let me know if this has been suggested before but why has no one put forward the idea of the Lions continuing their fine tradition of working with Nauru in relation to our new training and administration base? (We all know Nauru Insurance Company calling in their secured debt was the specific act that largely led to the demise of Fitzroy in 1996).

Bob Sharpless has always thought outside the box and shown how much of a savy property developer he is with the development of Springfield over the last couple of decades. Why couldn't Sharpless pursue the idea of putting the training and admin base on Nauru? Just like in Ipswich, Nauru only has a couple of people in power to "donate" money to. Imagine the possibilities - there are plenty of young, fit kids over in Nauru readily available for any practice matches against the Lions.

Maybe the Federal Government would come back to the table and pledge money to the Lions if the training and admin base on Nauru was aligned to the offshore processing centre over there?

Also, I'm no fancy Geographer but I'm fairly sure Nauru is closer to the Gabba than Springfield?

Remember Yakov Smirnoff? That comedian who had one joke about the Soviet Union, and then the USSR collapsed and suddenly Smirnoff had nothing to say anymore?

I don't know, for some reason I'm thinking about him right now.

Remember Yakov Smirnoff? That comedian who had one joke about the Soviet Union, and then the USSR collapsed and suddenly Smirnov had nothing to say anymore?

I don't know, for some reason I'm thinking about him right now.
I posted non Sharpie related comments in the "Shake up Gabba" thread fyi

Also, I'm more of a Balki Bartokomous fan as well

And what's the deal with those bags of peanuts they give you on an airplane? Can anyone open those things?
Should have had my day with Virgin. Rock up to catch my flight back to Bris and it is cancelled. They put me on one that goes two and one half of an hour later and what do I get served on this half empty flight????? Pretzels packed in Australia but imported in from Egypt!!! and yes could not open the bloody packet. And the Coffee!!!! Made International Roast taste like nectar of the gods! Sheesh!

Should have had my day with Virgin. Rock up to catch my flight back to Bris and it is cancelled. They put me on one that goes two and one half of an hour later and what do I get served on this half empty flight????? Pretzels packed in Australia but imported in from Egypt!!! and yes could not open the bloody packet. And the Coffee!!!! Made International Roast taste like nectar of the gods! Sheesh!

You had me very interested after that first sentence John but like your flight it got a bit detoured from where i thought it was heading!

Please let me know if this has been suggested before but why has no one put forward the idea of the Lions continuing their fine tradition of working with Nauru in relation to our new training and administration base? (We all know Nauru Insurance Company calling in their secured debt was the specific act that largely led to the demise of Fitzroy in 1996).

Bob Sharpless has always thought outside the box and shown how much of a savy property developer he is with the development of Springfield over the last couple of decades. Why couldn't Sharpless pursue the idea of putting the training and admin base on Nauru? Just like in Ipswich, Nauru only has a couple of people in power to "donate" money to. Imagine the possibilities - there are plenty of young, fit kids over in Nauru readily available for any practice matches against the Lions.

Maybe the Federal Government would come back to the table and pledge money to the Lions if the training and admin base on Nauru was aligned to the offshore processing centre over there?

Also, I'm no fancy Geographer but I'm fairly sure Nauru is closer to the Gabba than Springfield?

Definitely close than Burpenf****ingGary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back