Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

NEW Brisbane Lions chief executive Greg Swann has given the strongest indication yet the club will renege on its proposed move to Springfield.

Speaking at a members’ forum at the Gabba this month, Swann admitted the relocation of the Lions’ training and administration headquarters to a $60 million purpose-built facility in Springfield was looking increasingly unlikely.

The Lions’ current training base at Coorparoo or the AFL Queensland headquarters at Yeronga loom as the most likely destination.

“There are four of us that weren’t involved in the original decision – (board members) Andrew Wellington, Sarah Kelly, Leigh Matthews, and myself — that have formed a group to look at all options. It’s been 18 months since the original decision was made, so things have changed,” Mr Swann, who was appointed chief executive in July, said.

“There might have been things that were looked at back then that weren’t a possibility, but now are. We’ve held a series of meetings with councils, governments, and private enterprises. We’ll come back with what’s the best decision for the club.”

The backflip would be a major blow for junior club Greater Springfield Storm, who had planned to share the new facility with the Lions. Their back-up plan to expand into Woodcrest College is no longer an option.

“If the Lions don’t come then we have nowhere to go. We’d definitely be disappointed,” president Llewellyn Reidy told the Springfield News this year.

Ipswich City Councillor (Division 1) David Morrison said a Lions backflip would be a huge blow for the local community.

“It’s always hard to measure (job creation and economic benefits) but to have a major sporting team, it brings many opportunities for the community,” Cr Morrison said.

We are already but i'd be backing away ASAP from springfield. They continue to get into the news for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...r-beehive-land-tax-sting-20140924-10lky5.html

The issue came to light on Wednesday when it was revealed that one developer - Springfield Land Corporation - is taking Ipswich City Council to the Supreme Court to challenge the council's change to its rates policy.

On Wednesday Fairfax Media was told a second Ipswich developer had also made plans to install beehives, claiming the land was for primary production and therefore allowing it to pay less land tax and rates.

Ipswich City Council claims Springfield Land Corporation paid $723,000 less in rates in 2013-14 by having 1300 beehives installed on 666 hectares of its land.

The matter has been placed on the Local Government Association of Queensland conference agenda for next month.

Queensland's longest-serving councillor, Ipswich's Paul Tully, said the situation was very serious.

"(Springfield's managing director) Maha Sinnathamby alone will cost the ratepayers of Ipswich and the taxpayers of Queensland $20 million in 10 years," he said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-tax-sting-20140924-10lky5.html#ixzz3EHSRpf9P

On another note I found this piece of info interesting on UQ

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/uq-to-invest-100m-in-student-housing-20140924-10lkfc.html

While it reduces the likelihood of it being looked at as a possible option for our training base given they'll be using land for the student accommodation i did find this part interesting.

Mr Egan said a community infrastructure designation that applies to UQ's St Lucia campus meant Brisbane City Council approval was not required to green light the development, as it was "self-assessable."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...nt-housing-20140924-10lkfc.html#ixzz3EHTMB9Em

I would bee lying if I thought I was surprised by this current development but since Sharpless beecame our Chairman the whole Springfield process has been unbeelievable. Why does he seem to want to beetray the Lions fans? Did Sharpless give it much thought beefore he beecame involved with the Lions? Did he think the Lions fans would just beehave themselves and not question him? I beelieve that his time is almost up at the Lions. Maybe Lions fans could work undercover and get involved in a sting operation to see if Sharpless will be buzzing off soon? I don't know how to honey-coat this anymore but I think the Club would definately bee better off if it didn't move to Springfield. Unless the Lions could share the land with beehives?

Last edited:
I would bee lying if I thought I was surprised by this current development but since Sharpless become our Chairman the whole Springfield process has been unbeelievable. Why does he seem to want to beetray the Lions fans? Did Sharpless give it much thought beefore he beecame involved with the Lions? Did he think the Lions fans would just beehave themselves and not question him? I beelieve that his time is almost up at the Lions. Maybe Lions fans could work undercover and get involved in a sting operation to see if Sharpless will be buzzing off soon? I don't know how to honey-coat this anymore but I think the Club would definately bee better off if it didn't move to Springfield. Unless the Lions could share the land with beehives?
Dammit, why don't emojis work on here!?

I would bee lying if I thought I was surprised by this current development but since Sharpless beecame our Chairman the whole Springfield process has been unbeelievable. Why does he seem to want to beetray the Lions fans? Did Sharpless give it much thought beefore he beecame involved with the Lions? Did he think the Lions fans would just beehave themselves and not question him? I beelieve that his time is almost up at the Lions. Maybe Lions fans could work undercover and get involved in a sting operation to see if Sharpless will be buzzing off soon? I don't know how to honey-coat this anymore but I think the Club would definately bee better off if it didn't move to Springfield. Unless the Lions could share the land with beehives?

:confused::$

In bee-raking news Sharpless has just confirmed the entertainment at the Springfield Land Corporation Christmas party will be none other than the Bee Sharps! or is that Bee Sharpless?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Soviet Russia, puns are actually funny.

Literally laughing out loud :)

Tried to explain to my wife why I was laughing out loud :(

Reminded me of ...

"On Aditya we don't have puns we have perfectly balanced citizens"
"On Aditya they don't call them puns they call them Dad's Jocular Anecdotes and they have more of them than we do"

I loved that show.
How the **** do you remember that s**t?
Why thank you, you make me happier than the top bananaman, actually Counsin Bartok will always be the biggest cheese wiz when I think about it.

You actually made me feel more important than Nikoli back on Mypos - a great man with a very good memory who takes the place of photo albums on Mypos since there are no photographers. Whenever there is a fire, Niki is the first thing we save.

This reminds me of a saying we have back in Mypos - "Iffi biggi hochpadooie, och hoch biddi bat bat sticki" which loosely means "if you spit into a windstorm you better carry an umbrella".

Update on Training & Admin Facility

We would like to update members on progress of the review of our new training and administration facility.

The committee assembled to examine the issue – CEO Greg Swann and the three Directors not involved in the original decision, Andrew Wellington, Sarah Kelly and Leigh Matthews – have met a number of times in recent months to discuss and analyse options open to the Club. A series of meetings has also been held with councils, governments and private enterprise, as well as visits to a number of venues across the region.

The review committee reported back to the Board this week and in turn we are informing you of their progress.

Committee members began by stating that they could understand the logic applied when the Springfield option was agreed to almost 18 months ago, and they concur it was the only fundable, triple-A venue option at the time.

However, the committee has found that much has changed over that period including a funding gap in the Springfield proposition which has yet to be solved.

Moving forward, criteria have been identified to help decide on the best option for a new facility. These include:
  • The availability of funding and overall financial impact on the Club;
  • Implications for the Club's on-field performance including the well-being and retention of players and staff, having regard to both the quality of facilities and location;
  • Opportunity to provide commercial activity on the site or in the immediate area;
  • Opportunity to enhance engagement with supporters, sponsors and broader community;
  • Potential to partner with other elite sporting organisations ad/or community groups
The committee believes these criteria will assist greatly as the Club moves through the process of due diligence in determining the best option for a new facility.

Communicating these criteria delivers on a commitment made at last month’s Members Forum at the Gabba to share with you, the members, the factors being considered by the committee in making such an important decision.

To date, the committee has been encouraged by the interest shown across councils, governments and the private sector to work with the Club on conceptual possibilities for a new facility.

A number of proposals have been considered during this investigation process and a shortlist prepared, including Springfield.

To protect and respect the sensitivity of confidential negotiations, the review committee will not be making public the other options at this stage until specifics are finalised.

We would ask members to respect that position.

The review committee – and the Board – is fully aware how important this issue is to you, and we are committed to keeping you updated throughout the process.

As Greg told the Members Forum, the Club wants to bring everybody along with us so there are no surprises.

Moving forward, the review committee needs, and asks, for the trust of our supporters to empower us to make the best decisions for the Club’s future.

That will allow us to come back with the best option for the entire Club – players, coaches, administration staff, sponsors and members.

At this stage, we would like to re-affirm that no Directors with an interest in any of the final options for the facility will participate in the final Board vote on the issue.

The Club took great strides in 2014 both on and off the field.

We believe the work being done by the review committee to ensure our players and staff have the best training and administration facilities is crucial to our long-term success.

The review committee will continue its work over coming months and we look forward to reporting back to you soon on the next moves in relation to the facility.

http://view.tmclient.ticketmaster.c...66004747015&camefrom=EMCL_406093_18340951&r=0

The conspiracy theorists will say it's just the first stage in having a fresh start with Springfield, but seriously, it's dead.

Better options have come to light.

The conspiracy theorists will say it's just the first stage in having a fresh start with Springfield, but seriously, it's dead.

Better options have come to light.
I beelieve you're probably right. I would bee heartbroken if this was not the case. Anyone who attended the members forum or has been following this issue will know what the other options are, they aren't confidential - Coorparoo, Yeronga, QSAC (whack) and if Swan and Lethal end up making the drive out there Burpengary

They'll_Never_Stop_The_Simpsons.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back