Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Struggling to find the funny at this point. :/

It is exasperating to hear them suddenly describe the current arrangement as workable when we know for a fact that it is a terrible setup not just in terms of the facilities we can offer but also a massive financial ball and chain around our neck. Every additional year we stay at the Gabba we can basically lock in another 2 million dollars pissed up against the wall.

The club officially announced that a search was underway for a new training base in August 2011. Nearly three and a half years ago. Yet now after all this time, all this money, all this consternation and disenfranchisement of the supporters and subsequent political turmoil, what do we have?

A communique from the board that they are basically back at the starting point again. This is absolutely s**t.

HAS to be a genuine reason for it.

AFL will not allow us to simply "take our time" whilst losing millions each year.

Gil may have organised a re-do of our Gabba deal for the next 12-24 months...or agreed to pay any shortfalls.

Who really knows? It's not as if the club will provide closed boardroom dealings in detail to its members.

If current board member Peter McGregor isn't even allowed to be on the relocation committee what does he actually do and why should he be voted back in by members?

To be fair, same question should be asked of Power. McGregor is in Melbourne and is a finance guy. Power lives in Brisbane and is in the construction game - surely he had more input into the original decision than McGregor?

Can see where TBD is coming from, 3.5 years down the track and we have gone nowhere. You then look at what has happened on field during this time and you have to ask are the people in charge up for the job.

At the same time, i know the club is aiming big with these facilities, so they do need to get it right. But you cant wait for perfection because chances are it will never come. At somepoint they need to find a viable option and get the deal done.

I don't have an issue with the board starting all over again. The fact its been over 3 years since the process began undoubtedly means there would be some out of date information they would be basing a decision on. If in doubt kick it out as my soccer coach would say.

It's certainly not the most flashiest decision, but I think it's the most shrewd from best possible outcome point of view. This decision is vital to our club's future fortunes and I for one don't want any stone left unturned, especially when it is likely to be a long term base. So I don't think one or two extra years of being at the Gabba is a too heavier price to pay when you're looking at the big picture.

I remember Sarah Kelly saying to a few of the members at training the other week when she popped her head in, that the biggest problem they had was getting funding to build something. I can't recall if she said, or I just assumed, that she meant from the government.

I'd imagine Springfield was the 'winner' last time because it was the only one that actually COULD get built. But obviously the funding fell through when Campbell got in.

Unfortunately this isn't Victoria where the government seems to throw money in whenever a club wants to build something, so it seems like they're essentially just shuffling paper around until a government decides to help out with the funding, because regardless of how good a location/facility etc is, we can't afford to build it.

Can see where TBD is coming from, 3.5 years down the track and we have gone nowhere. You then look at what has happened on field during this time and you have to ask are the people in charge up for the job.

At the same time, i know the club is aiming big with these facilities, so they do need to get it right. But you cant wait for perfection because chances are it will never come. At somepoint they need to find a viable option and get the deal done.

Yeah I agree

It is frustrating that we have basically have gone nowhere in 3.5 years, but there is nothing that can be done about that now. My reaction to the email was a lot less negative, as I already had assumed we were back to square one. I just thought the Club is being increasingly open about that fact.

I am however far more confident with the way the Club is heading off-field (including on this issue) than I have been in the last few years. The funding will come down to governments and elections - it is not easy, but there are big pay-offs if we can get it right. Unfortunately last time we backed the wrong side / location.

Apart from all that, what do people know about Nathan and Brendale that were mentioned in the email. As a Victorian I have never heard of them.

Yeah I agree

It is frustrating that we have basically have gone nowhere in 3.5 years, but there is nothing that can be done about that now. My reaction to the email was a lot less negative, as I already had assumed we were back to square one. I just thought the Club is being increasingly open about that fact.

I am however far more confident with the way the Club is heading off-field (including on this issue) than I have been in the last few years. The funding will come down to governments and elections - it is not easy, but there are big pay-offs if we can get it right. Unfortunately last time we backed the wrong side / location.

Apart from all that, what do people know about Nathan and Brendale that were mentioned in the email. As a Victorian I have never heard of them.

Nathan = QSAC.

Yeah I agree

Nathan is the State Athletics Centre, the old Commonwealth Games Stadium. About 10-15 mins down the freeway from the Gabba.

Brendale is further away from the Gabba than Springfield, but northside, rather than towards Ipswich.

Nathan is the State Athletics Centre, the old Commonwealth Games Stadium. About 10-15 mins down the freeway from the Gabba.

Brendale is further away from the Gabba than Springfield, but northside, rather than towards Ipswich.
About the same distance but slower roads.
That said, not many players live at The Gabba, and Brendale is closer and about the same distance as Springfield, time-wise from eastern suburbs like Morningside and Bulimba where many players are currently living. The northside is also developed, all the way from Brisbane, to north of Brendale as opposed to Springfield, being a satellite town in isolation.:thumbsu:

That said, not many players live at The Gabba, and Brendale is closer and about the same distance as Springfield, time-wise from eastern suburbs like Morningside and Bulimba where many players are currently living. The northside is also developed, all the way from Brisbane, to north of Brendale as opposed to Springfield, being a satellite town in isolation.:thumbsu:
Either way, they're both WAY out of town!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really slower roads. Hop straight on the gateway from bulimba and you're there in about 20-25 mins. At least you could live at chermside or another suburb over that way pretty easily

Bren****ingdale!

Your uncouthlessness, indeed lack of any couth whatsoever, leaves me, for one, stupefied, and it's not even dinner time.

And it's not like Brendale is anywhere near B****f****ingary. Which we all know is in Queensland, somewhere up North, equidistant between Brisbane and Cairns. Approx.

Brendale still has a lot of spare space, but i would imagine they would be looking at the sporting complex. They have numerous fields hosting many sports, so having the club there to help pump money into the facilities would look good from a government spending point of view, as the people using those facilities will get improvements. Plenty of space for building, and multiple fields. Wouldnt cost a fortune either, it is on the boarder of Eatons Hill, basically behind the EH hotel. Got wantima golf course just next door too which would keep some of the guys happy. Not a super course but decent.

The advantage to Brendale location is it gives a northside base for a social club. Outside of the EH there arent many good hang outs in that area. Surrounding suburbs like Warner, Cashmere and Joyner are exploding with new housing, they have been acerage properties so plenty of people coming in around that area.

Also have Bunnings opening up at Brendale before xmas along with a giant Aldi northside distribution center in about 12 months, so plenty of growth business wise as well.

Brendale is still part of moreton bay council which wanted Lions at burpengary so interest might still be there from local council.

Not really slower roads. Hop straight on the gateway from bulimba and you're there in about 20-25 mins. At least you could live at chermside or another suburb over that way pretty easily
Google maps says about 5 minutes longer. Given it's a 'bit of a drive, Bulimba to the Gateway and Gateway to Brendale, as opposed to Springfield which has a quicker arterial, but I'm splitting hairs, and the Gateway north will be improved.
Dead right about liveable options though. That was my point about established/developed burbs in between. You have the full distance (Brisbane to Brendale) to choose a residence, unlike Springfield; you either live there or not much to choose from in between.
Chermside is a good example, as even though it is old, it is really being developed as another city.
Having said all that, I reckon if they could find something east of the city, that would be most popular.

Bren****ingdale!

I was driving up to the Sunshine Coast on Sunday ... saw an exit sign for Burpengary ... and my mind read it as Burpenf*****gary :eek:

Sometimes what you read on the forum just doesn't stay on the forum :(

At any peak time it would be a bitch. You'd have to get off the gateway at bracken ridge, and coming through telegraph road and linkfield rd is pretty busy. But overall it isnt that far from the city, the BCC border is actually just at carseldine, so it is nearly inside the BCC.

I was driving up to the Sunshine Coast on Sunday ... saw an exit sign for Burpengary ... and my mind read it as Burpenf*****gary :eek:

The word "campaigner" is now tainted for me, whenever I hear it my mind automatically associates it with the word it censors.

Bloody lucky you didn't take it to have a look, it's really a trap, once past that sign there's no going back, everything changes!

The question this raises for me is whether Springfield was always the only realistic option, and that it was pursued so strongly not because of commercial interests but because there just wasn't any other alternative.

That puts a slightly more positive spin on the board's actions (or lack thereof) over the past decade, but it's not very encouraging for our chances of getting something else going.

The question this raises for me is whether Springfield was always the only realistic option, and that it was pursued so strongly not because of commercial interests but because there just wasn't any other alternative.

That puts a slightly more positive spin on the board's actions (or lack thereof) over the past decade, but it's not very encouraging for our chances of getting something else going.
If that's the case, then it's the worst communication from a footy club since Bowers uttered the words "focus group".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back