Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

rumour continues to spread that Western Districts will be booted from the ground at Chelmer and the Lions will make a play for that precinct.

Leaving Kenmore Bears homeless and Western Magpies in a position where they could either have a huge win, or could be detrimental for them depending on how it all works out.
Just a thought with this ground and other established suburban clubs .Consider they have at least 2 grounds or ovals .
I would imagine the Lions players do the majority of their training during the day when most of the existing teams train late afternoon/ night.
So with that in consideration, and as I said , the premises would require at least 2 ovals, I would imagine there would be a fair cause for a struggling suburban club to get the Lions on board.
Some of the positives would be :
1. First class fields to train and play on.
2. Clubhouse / Social venue upgrade.
You could go on.

As a suburban club there would be a fear of losing all control or access to your own club to the Lions, but if you are struggling ,a joint venture of some sought could be the only way forward.

The club I could of mentioned before, is the Wynnum Vikings at Hemant/Tingalpa.
Good catchment area for the punters, 2 ovals , possible room for further development.
Pretty sure it doesn't flood.
I have a mate that was on the committee there, {no longer at the club), and there was a suggestion there years ago about a proposal to the Lions, to what degree it went I couldn't tell you.
To date I have never heard the Lions officially mention particular existing Suburban Clubs for their home, or have I missed that?
Does anyone here have anything to do with the Vikings or other suburban clubs for that matter and heard of a desire to let the Lions come in?

To date I have never heard the Lions officially mention particular existing Suburban Clubs for their home, or have I missed that?
Does anyone here have anything to do with the Vikings or other suburban clubs for that matter and heard of a desire to let the Lions come in?

Yeronga and Coorparoo have been on the radar to a degree but the club has admitted there are serious obstacles with both.

I suspect one problem with co-locating with other football clubs could be overuse. I'd imagine having a quality surface is going to be important, which is harder to achieve if there are several junior and senior side all using the same ground both at training during the week and then on game days.

I also think that we'd want the ability to train in the late afternoon and early evening.

Not insurmountable problems but you can see why a standalone facility with limited co-location would be preferable.

I suspect one problem with co-locating with other football clubs could be overuse. I'd imagine having a quality surface is going to be important, which is harder to achieve if there are several junior and senior side all using the same ground both at training during the week and then on game days.

I also think that we'd want the ability to train in the late afternoon and early evening.

Not insurmountable problems but you can see why a standalone facility with limited co-location would be preferable.

When you put it like that , the site would probably require the lions to have a dedicated oval for themselves.
That's why I thought The Wynnum Vikings club could have a suitable site, possible room for another oval which would give them 3 fields.
There is always the issue of the adjoining bush in whether it is environmentally significant or not.
At the end of the day , it was the fact that my mate had mentioned that there was some talk at the club at the time about getting the Lions there.
It probably doesn't meet the Lions requirements, who knows.

How far is springfield from ipswich? You guys could have some competition in the western brisbane/ipswich area soon...

How far is springfield from ipswich? You guys could have some competition in the western brisbane/ipswich area soon...

Springfield's dead mate. Done. Contemporiiiiiise man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I read somewhere that the Gabba deal was due for re-negotiation in March? Would be nice if we pushed the whole drop in pitch thing again, seeings as we are the major tenants. We'd probably need the AFL's clout behind us though.

I played for the Kenmore Bears when it was a soccer team.

Times have changed.
It was soccer, afl and rugby wasnt it? I remember Bruce (played at North was on TV here) and Ken Hose down there at the Bears

Edit: Got it Burgoyne. Nice bloke.

Last edited:
Did I read somewhere that the Gabba deal was due for re-negotiation in March? Would be nice if we pushed the whole drop in pitch thing again, seeings as we are the major tenants. We'd probably need the AFL's clout behind us though.

Unfortunately until we have a hint of a possible alternative to play our games at I think our bargaining position is fairly limited. Even if we go into the meeting requesting it what do we have to fall back on if they say no? We can't threaten to move our training base out leaving them with no main tenant for their facilities, and we can't say we'll start moving some games away from them as we haven't got anywhere else to go.

My suggestion is...forget it...it would be easier to get the climate change sceptics to change their minds.

The WHS/duty of care argument is the way to go in terms of getting the pitch changed.

Unfortunately, the ground gets cleared by the AFL for every game so it is hard for us/AFL to argue that there needs to be a change to the management of the centre square. It is a Catch 22 - we need to admit/prove that it is unsafe but if we did that, we open ourselves to legal claims from anyone who has ever rucked for Brisbane.

The WHS/duty of care argument is the way to go in terms of getting the pitch changed.

Unfortunately, the ground gets cleared by the AFL for every game so it is hard for us/AFL to argue that there needs to be a change to the management of the centre square. It is a Catch 22 - we need to admit/prove that it is unsafe but if we did that, we open ourselves to legal claims from anyone who has ever rucked for Brisbane.

Surely if the AFL deems the surface to be safe then it is they who will be responsible for any legal claims? So really for the Gabba to concede on this point, we'd need the AFL to tighten its ground hardness limit

And find ourselves playing home games at the much safer Metricon in the interim.

Surely if the AFL deems the surface to be safe then it is they who will be responsible for any legal claims? So really for the Gabba to concede on this point, we'd need the AFL to tighten its ground hardness limit
Yeah, the "royal we".

FWIW, changing the hardness limit would open up the argument that the current limit creates a risk of injury.

If it is not safe for kick to kick after the game, then I deem it unsafe to play on at all....

Can anyone come up with another ground where officials go over the centre square with a penetrometer before a game to ensure it is within hardness limits?

And as I understand it, because the Gabba must be watered beforehand, this is the main reason our reserves games are played elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back