Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The square may be a bit harder at the start of this season with more fixtures in Feb/March due to WC and with the last competitive fixture being the Shield game on the 13-16th of March. 2012 was last time a game was this late when the final finished on 19th.

The square may be a bit harder at the start of this season with more fixtures in Feb/March due to WC and with the last competitive fixture being the Shield game on the 13-16th of March. 2012 was last time a game was this late when the final finished on 19th.
Shouldn't be a problem, just put a bit of moisture in at x and let it seep in to the profile. From a cricket point of view, drop ins produce bland pitches and despite Les Burdett trying to convince me otherwise, they will never behave like a permanent wicket block and thus I can't see them being taken out anytime soon.

Shouldn't be a problem, just put a bit of moisture in at x and let it seep in to the profile. From a cricket point of view, drop ins produce bland pitches and despite Les Burdett trying to convince me otherwise, they will never behave like a permanent wicket block and thus I can't see them being taken out anytime soon.

Thought I had you convinced once that all is needed is to dig the top off for the footy season, & when replaced throw a bit of new stuf on & roll the s**t out of it. Was sure I had you convinced!:straining:

There are 2 fields at Western Districts.

1 that the Kenmore Bears are a sub-tenant of. It's a reasonablr surface and could be improved, and has 200 lux lighting, so sufficient for an AFL team training.

The other field is the Western Magpies home, that could just stay as the Magpies home.

Western Districts sporting club is the tenant of that field, but doesn't actually have a sporting team that represents them in any code or sport. they are just a bunch of muppets who hold a lease, then sublet the field to other mobs. Which is why they will be getting booted, regardless of the Lions interest.

Western Districts sporting club is the tenant of that field, but doesn't actually have a sporting team that represents them in any code or sport. they are just a bunch of muppets who hold a lease, then sublet the field to other mobs. Which is why they will be getting booted, regardless of the Lions interest.

Any indication who it'll be getting handed over to instead? The actual users of the fields?

There are 2 fields at Western Districts.

1 that the Kenmore Bears are a sub-tenant of. It's a reasonablr surface and could be improved, and has 200 lux lighting, so sufficient for an AFL team training.

The other field is the Western Magpies home, that could just stay as the Magpies home.

So they're a separate entity to Wests Juniors then?

I can't see why a cooperative venture with a local club couldn't work. AFl players do they stuff during the day, QAFL players outside work hours (usually). I'd have thought they'd have a lot to gain.

Wests Juniors play at Taringa next to BBC, they are a great club and now have an alignment with UQ Red Lions.

I would imagine Kenmore bears are working feverishly to get hold of the lease, but the problem is that it is a 12 month a year venue and the council wouldn't just want a footy side there. If they were smart, they would put in some sort of joint proposal with Wests Cricket (from up the road) who would use the field in Summer and for night cricket fixtures (given QLD cricket paid for the lighting upgrade).

It's all up in the air, but in my view the timing is perfect for the Lions to make a play for it. Great location, good sized venue, $200k worth of lights already in the ground ready to go. they would just need to build new rooms (and admin facilities if they want to relocate the whole organisation there) and there is ample space to do so.

Wests Juniors play at Taringa next to BBC, they are a great club and now have an alignment with UQ Red Lions.
From memory they've got a few talented Lions Academy kids coming through the ranks...?

Correct.

They produced 3 x U/15 AA players last year from the one little club. Exceptional effort.

Jack Clayton, Brendon Sheldon and Connor Ballenden (huge ruckman) were all AA players. Clayton is a BBC boy and was also captain of the Aus U/15 Cricket side. Sheldon is actually from Toowoomba, and commutes down to play for Wests in Div 1 U/16. I imagine he will be playing state league somewhere this year, likely at UQ under Darren Pfeiffer

don't think so, ground too small for senior footy. I imagine they would be there if it was an option.

The ground's not too small. The seniors was set up as a separate club by ex-players/parents that were looking for more a pathway for their kids to keep playing. The two clubs have looked at playing together a couple of times over the years but I think the possible issues would be ground overuse and cost but not much benefit to the juniors.

Not talking about Taringa, talking about the ground at Chelmer.

"Not much benefit to the juniors" - apart from a clear progression to senior football from start to finish from one club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct.

They produced 3 x U/15 AA players last year from the one little club. Exceptional effort.

Jack Clayton, Brendon Sheldon and Connor Ballenden (huge ruckman) were all AA players. Clayton is a BBC boy and was also captain of the Aus U/15 Cricket side. Sheldon is actually from Toowoomba, and commutes down to play for Wests in Div 1 U/16. I imagine he will be playing state league somewhere this year, likely at UQ under Darren Pfeiffer

I assume Jack Clayton is the brother of Max Clayton from Wests (Under 14 this year) - Max is an absolute gun midfielder, one to watch for sure.

Interesting that a lot of the promising Qld juniors are products of the GPS system - the Claytons from BBC, Ballenden and Keays from GT, Liam Moseley from Nudgee, Hammelman from BGS (as was Lewis Radford) - despite the GPS rugby system becoming a quasi-professional competition in recent years .

Marist Ashgrove has produced Lachie Keeffe and Charlie Cameron in recent years, and there's numerous other traditional rugby schools producing Qld junior reps as well.

Probably the wrong thread for this, but hopefully many of these boys get to use the new Lions facilities in coming years if/when built.

Not to mention Karmichael Hunt ;)

There are a few others that were absolute guns from the GPS system, that pursued other sports.

Chris Hartley for example was a champion at many sports, including Australian Rules (& Rugby) and the Lions pursued him heavily before he made his shield debut (where he scored a ton, and that was that)

A guy in the mid 90's called Garth Hamilton also could have been a superstar, but ended up playing Basketball in the US college system and unsuccessfully pursuing the NBA. He went to Ipswich Grammar School from memory.

Hunt's brother in law also played for the Lions & Port and was a Churchie boy, his name escapes me - but he now plays wide reciever in the NCAA for University of Hawaii

Justin Leppitsch the 'product' of the finest school of all - Kenmore State High.

James, there's a subtle but important distinction between "enrolled" and "attended" which might apply to Leppa...

I remember a mate of mine was teaching at BBC when the Bears sent Chris Scott to board and complete Year 12 there in 1994. According to him, an 18 yo Scotty would go out on the piss with the older guys like Roger Merrett, Bewsy etc after Bears home games (and they had some good home wins that year), getting back to the boarding house at all hours a bit worse for wear, but nothing was said as he was like a man amongst boys and was treated accordingly.

I don't think the GPS schools offer much in terms of an Aussie Rules pathway. What they can offer is a high performance sporting program embedded into the school environment. The resources available at these schools need to be seen to be believed.

Michael Voss came through the GPS school comp as it then was. Clearly remember him playing for his Gold Coast school [?] at Sherwood v Gregory Terrace.

So does my son who has fond memories of a full-on shoulder contact with him.

Terrace had a bloke called Michael Boyle playing for them who was one of the best under-age players I ever saw- way better than Voss at that point in my opinion.

Could have been anything but lost to study and the commercial world.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back