Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

So glad to hear more about our plans.

Love the idea of an AFL centre of excellence set up at QEII.... For our Academy and future women's league etc.
But the shared facility makes more sense to me in some ways....

It could only be a good thing for NRL and AFL players to be working close together.
Maybe share resources like dedicated sports scientists etc that the Lions would struggle to fund by themselves.

Either way I'm sooo glad Springfield and other remote options aren't been considered now.

We are a Brisbane team... And should hold a strong Brisbane presence...... And that's coming from a VIC member.

Yeah I've been all for the Airport move for a long time now. Got 'shouted down' a few times previously though ;)
I understood the main hurdles was purchasing the land/getting it leased would be expensive but if there is going to be a multi sports complex there may as well join in early and help develop some aspects to suite AFL footy instead of waiting until every other code has their input and we are left with the scraps.

nothing but highways, byways and dead grass.

I've spent my whole life living on the Southside, and it's funny as we have always had the same perception of the northside. Old, industrial, and ugly. Was only when I was younger and started dating a girl from the northside and then started working in Alderly that I saw that it was quite nice too.

I guess when you're from the southside, your experience of the northside is whatever you see driving along the motorway to the Sunshine Coast. And for northsiders driving south, they just see the M3. Nicest suburbs of Brisbane are found in the inner parts of both though - Bulimba, Balmoral, Coorparoo on the south, and Ashgrove and Newmarket on the northside. Also love Clayfield, Hendra, and those areas - but they're very noticeably upper class which is a turn off for some. Not as relaxed as the others.

Reckon if I was coming to Brisbane fresh with no preconceived ideas, I'd pick the inner North despite my southside heritage. There's a hill in Alderley that looks over the city and is probably one of the nicest pockets of Brisbane I've found.

LOL norfside. :$
c7c504e5b3f797a80354c99da442f47d.jpg

Having lived in both Northside (Everton Park, Stafford, Nundah, Spring Hill, Red Hill, Enoggera) and Southside (Middle Park, Sunnybank Hills, Calamvale, Mount Gravatt, Eight Mile Plains, Kenmore, Durack) I have found that both of them have their pros and cons ... the south seemed more roomy, the north slightly better climate and facilities ... mind you the climate was pretty good on the Gold Coast (Burleigh Heads, Nobby Beach, Robina, Southport, Ashmore, Oxenford, Coomera) but would be a real pain if you didn't have a car (and was a huge pain when I ended up commuting from the Coast to Brisbane every day :()

Sadly the above listing is not a complete list of the suburbs I have lived in in those areas ... just the ones that immediately sprang to mind ...

No offence guys but North or South, Brissy is a cesspool and you are all cesspool rats for living there. Jks lol.

The truest things are said in jest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having lived in both Northside (Everton Park, Stafford, Nundah, Spring Hill, Red Hill, Enoggera) and Southside (Middle Park, Sunnybank Hills, Calamvale, Mount Gravatt, Eight Mile Plains, Kenmore, Durack) I have found that both of them have their pros and cons ... the south seemed more roomy, the north slightly better climate and facilities ... mind you the climate was pretty good on the Gold Coast (Burleigh Heads, Nobby Beach, Robina, Southport, Ashmore, Oxenford, Coomera) but would be a real pain if you didn't have a car (and was a huge pain when I ended up commuting from the Coast to Brisbane every day :()

Sadly the above listing is not a complete list of the suburbs I have lived in in those areas ... just the ones that immediately sprang to mind ...

You must have had some awesome eviction parties.

You must have had some awesome eviction parties.

My two favourites were ...
- the time we fixed a place up and they put the rent up on us (by $65 per week!) and their new tenants utterly trashed the place #quickkarma
- the time we fixed a place up (yes I know you would think we would learn) and they put the rent up (by $50 per week) and they were unable to get new tenants (even after they put the price back down) for nine months

My least favourites were ...
- the people in the 'B' property on a shared block where the wife decided she was terrified or our fearsome dogs (small and not terrifying) but who turned out to have a brother who was married to the landlord's daughter (sigh)
- the guy in the 'A' property on a shared block (yes I know you would think we would learn) who decided that our cutting down the noxious weed on the shared fence was 'destroying his precious hedge he had spent years growing' and led to numerous police complaints, harassment, threats of tossing poisoned meat for the dogs etc ... oh and he also just happened to be best drinking buddies with the landlord ... (sigh)

In our first six years of marriage we moved 12 times ... needless to say we got *very* good at it!

Well if you listen to some people Northside is the best and others say Southside. I'm yet to hear anything official from the club though.
The Brisbane Bears first ever intra-club game was at Kedron so the team is officially a northside club :p

Regular infraction issued.
G'day guys, its me again -Lac.
I've heard some concrete news about the progression of the Collingwood VFL/Brisbane Bears/Lions Roys Merger.
These are the details of the major deal which will be officially announced by Neal Balme at 12.41pm AEST today.
-Collingwood VFL/development takes over the whole lions facility.
-Brisbane are evicted from the AFL.
-Collingwood receive, Rockliff, Rich, Aish, Taylor, Beams, Josh Green and Stefan Martin for Mason Cox and a 4th round rookie draft selection.
-All other Brisbane Players (well ex-Brisbane players) are forced and coerced to sign 7 year contracts for no pay for the Fitzroy VAFA team, Playing at Brunswick Street oval.
-All players 19 and under will play VAFA Section B Under 19's football for Fitzroy.
I see this as a win/win/win for all parties involved.

This is why we keep faith in the AFL to strike valuable agreements and overall strengthen the competition and grass roots football in Fitzroy.

Thoughts, Queries, Concerns????

-Cheers,
Beauie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back