Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention we all could be enjoying a glass of Poowoomba sparkling water if they had voted yes to recycling.

They could have been ahead of the curve for once, with the likes of San Diego and Singapore.

The AFL seems to have come into a bit of cash recently. Wonder if they could increase their contribution to our new facilities.

The AFL seems to have come into a bit of cash recently. Wonder if they could increase their contribution to our new facilities.
Think the state government might ask the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brisbane Lions wait for meeting with Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk

Chiefs of the beleaguered Brisbane Lions are waiting for their chance to meet Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk after a planned meeting was postponed until mid-September.

Currently at the bottom of the ladder, the Lions are heading to the the top of the state in order to source $10 million state government funding for a new training administrative base. The meeting was supposed to happen last month, but has been pushed back.

Two options are being considered for the facility, either at the QE2 complex - which they would share with netball's Queensland Firebirds - or a site near the Brisbane airport. The AFL has already pledged $5m towards the project.

For anyone interested The Premier's and Sports Minister's contact details are available here http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/ministers.aspx.

Premier and Minister for the Arts
Annastacia Palaszczuk MP
Responsibilities include the overall management of Queensland, Cabinet, coordinating government communication, policy development, Parliamentary Counsel, governance, protocol, intergovernmental relations, arts and overall public service management.

Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries and Minister for Sport and Racing
Bill Byrne MP
Responsibilities include agriculture, fisheries, forestry, biosecurity, food and fibre production, racing and sport.

I might need someone to translate my emails from English to Queenslandian.

I might need someone to translate my emails from English to Queenslandian.

I think they've blocked your emailed at the Premier's Department every since you sent them an email demanding that they declare a State of Emergency and send in the army to force Leppa to play Raines last year.

I think they've blocked your emailed at the Premier's Department every since you sent them an email demanding that they declare a State of Emergency and send in the army to force Leppa to play Raines last year.

Only because I don't speak the native tongue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions wait for meeting with Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk

"Currently at the bottom of the ladder, the Lions are heading to the the top of the state in order to source $10 million state government funding for a new training administrative base. The meeting was supposed to happen last month, but has been pushed back."

Alarming NTTAWWT of the struggle faced by the Lions up there and the comparative standing of the code between Victoria and Queensland when the club struggles for 10 million in state funding for bricks and mortar, yet our imbecile premier is about to squander 100's of millions of dollars on snags and tinnies by declaring Friday before the Grand Final a public holiday. Beggars belief.

Hard to spell, incredibly easy to pronounce.

Palla-shay.
P-A-L-A... Sydney Zoo, Canberra Zoo, United Kingdom.

I have no idea where I heard it, but it made me giggle and I've somehow never forgotten. It may have pushed the remnants of long division out of my skull though.

Hard to spell, incredibly easy to pronounce.

Palla-shay.
Wow, is that what the qld media is rolling with or has she made a statement saying it's pronounced with a "shay" ending.

Not condoning it just interesting if it's been tweaked for "rolling off the tongue " easier for voters?

For the record I would be in "judge's" corner on the ook finish of her name.

But don't mind me, with my Hungarian heritage I can't blame anyone trying to pronounce any of our words. For a laugh watch an episode of Magyar wheel of fortune!
I'm sure the words WTF will come out of your mouth! Enjoy

Off topic but I believe her father is/was a primary school teacher and adjusted the pronunciation to help students and Ana has therefore grown up with it that way.

P-A-L-A... Sydney Zoo, Canberra Zoo, United Kingdom.

I have no idea where I heard it, but it made me giggle and I've somehow never forgotten. It may have pushed the remnants of long division out of my skull though.

The spelling trick was on 612ABC in the lead up to the election and also possibly originated from the same source.

The spelling trick was on 612ABC in the lead up to the election and also possibly originated from the same source.
Ahh that may have well been it.

From that article:
It's understood the Lions will not, however, seek the Premier's public support in their attempt to secure emergency draft assistance.
Just... lol.

$5 million from the AFL seems rather measly.

Agree. They will probably have to cough up a lot more than that to get any deal over the line. I guess we will see how much they want to help us out.

To just throw out some assumptions (anyone feel free to howl them down / correct them / put forward your own assumptions):
- QSAC (assuming that is our preferred location) presumably would cost less than Springfield's $60m given you wouldn't be starting from scratch
- Even if we assume it is only going to cost $45m, that is still a hell of a lot.
- If we are asking for $10m from the State, I would assume they would be seeking the same amount from the Feds = total of $20m.
- Perhaps Brisbane city council and the Uni might throw a few million in as well, possibly getting up to $25m, leaving $20m to find.
- Netball is hardly the most prosperous sport in the world (though doing a lot better than some other women's sports) - so it is not as if they are going to go 50:50. Perhaps they could kick in a further $5m at the most (even that is stretching it with the funding possibly having to come via government).
- With the AFL's $5m initial offer, that would leave a funding gap of $10m and presumably only the AFL would be able to make up the shortfall, which would mean that one way or another they would have to kick in $15m to get it off the ground.

A hell of a lot of assumptions, but it may not be that far off the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back