Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it will be QSAC, read an artical in the courier mail a while ago, that stated that it could end up a sports precinct.
Not sure off the exact details but mentioned sports science and high performance centre, AIS, Brisbane Roar admin, Brisbane Lions and the Firebirds.
As i said it was about a month ago, and i could have parts of wrong, but it did sound promising.
The story was more about QSAC and not any sport or club in particular.

Upgrade to Wifi, corporate boxes and more boutique services e.g. food/drink/merch stores. Increased advertising banners and possibly also further development of the Gabba precinct around the ground.

IMO the best thing that could happen to the Gabba would be for both Vulture and Stanley St traffic to go underground expanding the usable area outside the ground.

Having attended every Test venue I rate the Gabba second last with the WACA last. Burwood looks good and would easily surpass if they can fill it regularly for Test matches, which is the biggest concern I have.

I think a good increase in crowd numbers is needed more so than any upgrade. Test match crowds at the Gabba, for non-Ashes series have been poor for a while now. This year we host NZ and the match is earlier than usual in the first week of November so attendance will be interesting.

Last edited:
Exactly what facilities will draw people to watch live sport?

"I wasn't going to the cricket today but I couldn't resist the free wifi and Ralph Lauren outlet store."

Cricket fills the Gabba to capacity very rarely. England in Test matches, an occasional T20 and that's about it. The facilities aren't the issue though.

I think the Gabba could do a lot to improve the experience of supporters but they aren't big ticket investments. At a starting point, they could put in place a better catering company or, at least, better manage the one they've got.

It would have to be around corporate entertaining options, advertising technology, locker rooms and general appeal..... But what do I know.

What sort of improvements would they be looking for you reckon?

Better access to the stadium. Buses are garbage, especially the shuttle buses from Roma Street. The govt could look to emulate the MCG/AO walk to the ground experience with better walkway linkages to South Bank and the Goodwill Bridge.

In terms of the local area it will be somewhat always held back by the major roads roaring past I think.

I will be honest only this time, I admire Lions supporters wherever they come from, and you , BD, are one I respect, we love our club, its been a hard road,and I believe the journey has not ended. Why a footy club, I don't know, but it gives a centre, something in life we can anchor too. Thru the bad times it leads us to the good times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This message brought to you by 'Drinking in the Afternoon'.
If I were drinking in the afternoon why would it matter? You seem to be hung up on the proposition that ideas only come from sober people like you, though it seems like dry, staid people like you have no ideas, you follow the herd, you are a sheep, devoid of original ideas, afraid of offending the status quo on this website. But that's all right, you will probably live your life like this. Well done. PS I don't drink in the afternoon, I have not had a drink for 12 months, not for jerks like you but my own decision.

If I were drinking in the afternoon why would it matter? You seem to be hung up on the proposition that ideas only come from sober people like you, though it seems like dry, staid people like you have no ideas, you follow the herd, you are a sheep, devoid of original ideas, afraid of offending the status quo on this website. But that's all right, you will probably live your life like this. Well done. PS I don't drink in the afternoon, I have not had a drink for 12 months, not for jerks like you but my own decision.

I make records for a living.

Mine are the Cohen Bros but I think they are movie directors, oh and George Martin.

Coen brothers.

Fun fact: Bill Murray only accepted the role in Garfield because he saw the script was written by Joel Cohen, mistaking it for Joel Coen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back