Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Just about every combination of various sites has been looked at here, so whatever anyone wants to know is available above. Pretty much anyway.

At the local GF several weeks ago at Yeeronga, I was struck by just how good this place is. I know it was flooded a couple of years ago, and that there are issues with tenancy etc.

But surely there are solutions to these problems.

Pros: probably lower costs than with other options as there is already in place 2 excellent grounds with superb surfaces; accessible location that supporters are familiar with; basic infrastructure in situ which could surely be modified to avoid future flood damage; good parking;

Cons: existing tenancy agreements [off-set existing football tenancies by offering access to upgraded facilities?]; the need to build substantial training etc facilities; Council attitude??; the NIMBY factor; minimal crowd infrastructure

Just my uneducated thoughts, but finer minds etc.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-12-16/agm-summary
it's like waiting to open a christmas present you really want, you have a general idea what it might be but could be better than you imagined.
really looking forward to training facilities announcement.
Not too be overly critical but I'm a bit surprised that we haven't heard more about this actually, especially after last nights event. There might have been dialogue about it and if so I'm sure someone from BF would have posted something about it. For me this is the missing link for the club. They've done a good job up to this point in a number of areas and if we truly are a professional club in the biggest competition in this country this should be rectified ASAP.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not too be overly critical but I'm a bit surprised that we haven't heard more about this actually, especially after last nights event. There might have been dialogue about it and if so I'm sure someone from BF would have posted something about it. For me this is the missing link for the club. They've done a good job up to this point in a number of areas and if we truly are a professional club in the biggest competition in this country this should be rectified ASAP.
just hope it is a big announcement that their hoping to keep quite until the big unveiling. although if there is anything in it to do with government funding you would think that news would leak like a sieve.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What really grinds is The Saints getting a new facility built, then a couple of years later, get their old one rebuilt because the new one was too far from the city.

They had to move as the Moorabbin council would give them absolutely no support, money or otherwise. The place was a dump even back then. The final straw came when the council knocked back their plans to upgrade and do a big social club etc. That land is now a block of units.

I'm guessing once the Saints were gone from the area, they realised what they lost. Seems to be a complete turnaround this time. Good luck to them.

..and we can only hope to be as lucky.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They had to move as the Moorabbin council would give them absolutely no support, money or otherwise. The place was a dump even back then. The final straw came when the council knocked back their plans to upgrade and do a big social club etc. That land is now a block of units.

I'm guessing once the Saints were gone from the area, they realised what they lost. Seems to be a complete turnaround this time. Good luck to them.

..and we can only hope to be as lucky.
Fair enough, though 2 moves when we can't manage one is still a sore point.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has to be about money from third parties i.e. various levels of Govt. Any delay over a big project like this is pretty much always money.

Anyone know if and how much the AFL have committed?

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Has to be about money from third parties i.e. various levels of Govt. Any delay over a big project like this is pretty much always money.

Anyone know if and how much the AFL have committed?
AFL are happy to commit the appropriate amount - but you are spot on - it's all about 3 way funding and that's the stumbling block at the moment.

AFL are happy to commit the appropriate amount - but you are spot on - it's all about 3 way funding and that's the stumbling block at the moment.
I've often found when it gets round to talking about 3 ways that that is a stumbling block.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have had a quiet word with my lotto lady, explained my footy team needs lots of cash urgently. She was so obliging, said she had given me some lucky numbers for next weeks OZ and Powerball draws, so with a combined total of 70mil next week, our problems are solved.

MacMum to the rescue!!

(unfortunately I think she says that to everyone:()

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the AFL was the slightest bit interested in equalisation they'd make up the shortfall from the Queensland government.

Have had a quiet word with my lotto lady, explained my footy team needs lots of cash urgently. She was so obliging, said she had given me some lucky numbers for next weeks OZ and Powerball draws, so with a combined total of 70mil next week, our problems are solved.

MacMum to the rescue!!

(unfortunately I think she says that to everyone:()

How much would it cost for you to buy the 'Gabba from Stadiums Qld I wonder ....?

Swann has his funding plan lined up

hqdefault.jpg

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The last I heard via AFL city hall was that the Qld govt weren't overly flushed with cash and there commitment to the Commonwealth Games had tied up the sporting infrastructure cash. Looks like being a tough road.
yet the NRLOL crew have been stamping up and down for government fund like usual, the cowboys are apparently getting a new stadium in clownsville because deserve one as they can only half fill their current one on average.

the broncos are apparently getting money for a new training facility as training behind their wealthy poke filled leagues club isnt good enough, so they need the government to pay for a new venue for them

Back