New Fixture and Starting Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if this is the best idea but.. why not have 2 matches on Friday say: 5:30 and 7:30 start times that way the 4:40 Sunday match is moved away from that time slot?

No way would they be starting a Friday night game at 5.30, they have already pushed them back to 7.50 as it is.

The Sunday 3.20 and 4.40 games are far too late.

Channel seven's game should start at 2.10 and they should just have to cop not running straight into the news. At least this way we don't have the second half in darkness and therefore have to play with a yellow ball in the daylight.

Fox's first game is 1.10 so their second one should be 4.10. Just bring back the twilight slot a little earlier so it doesn't finish as late. There is no good reason to have an entire hour between the finish of the 1.10 game and the start of the next one.

As far as Saturdays go, Fox should stagger their games at 1.40, 4.40 and 7.40 - around half an hour in between games works well. Channel seven should have the 2.10 game - and FFS SHOW IT LIVE. The 90-minute delay is absolutely awful. Then their second game can run at 7.40 as it usually does.

Thursday nights work reasonably well so throw in a few of those - not in split or bye rounds though FFS - and in that case you lose the 2.10 Saturday game so it can go on FTA. And when there is one game on for an entire day - don't schedule it at 4.40. That's just ridiculous and shows the AFL cares more about TV ratings than crowd numbers.

It really is not that hard, yet a number of the current arrangements just make no sense the way they are.

^^ I seriously regret starting this thread now. Have heard more constructive ideas from a bunch of drunks in the smokers area of some s**t bar.

Don't take it to heart.

I don't think there is a solution. There are 9 games every round and only 6-7 available timeslots. It is inevitable that some games have to overlap. I can't see any perfect solution.

Don't take it to heart.

I don't think there is a solution. There are 9 games every round and only 6-7 available timeslots. It is inevitable that some games have to overlap. I can't see any perfect solution.

The answer is so simple though. The problem is that a vast amount of people cannot agree on anything (the fixture in this case) when most people want different things. I still rate the people's views here on bigfooty better than those AFL - the people making decisions on the fixtures currently are fully *ed.

Edit: It actually *****ed out "reetarded" lol. 2 ee's for ya

Friday 7:40pm FTA
Saturday 1:10pm x2 1 FTA, 1 FOXTEL
Saturday 4:40pm FOXTEL
Saturday 7:40pm x2 1 FTA, 1 FOXTEL
Sunday 1:10pm x2 1 FTA, 1 FOXTEL
Sunday 4:40pm FOXTEL

No split rounds. Every team gets a week off after round 8 and after round 16.

There are times when two games run concurrently, but most of the other games fliw into each other well. It keeps footy within the preffered 740pm Friday - 740pm Sunday window. Gives 4 FTA viewing games at good times. All games are relatively crowd friendly times as even 4:40pm on a Sunday shouldnt impact getting home for work/school the next day.

Its not perfect but its the simplest and best one I could come up with.

Don't know if this is the best idea but.. why not have 2 matches on Friday say: 5:30 and 7:30 start times that way the 4:40 Sunday match is moved away from that time slot?
5:30 is too early to get there after work. But 6:30 could work for a double-header, with the second game played in Perth at 9:30 (7:30 WA time).

Channel seven's game should start at 2.10 and they should just have to cop not running straight into the news. At least this way we don't have the second half in darkness and therefore have to play with a yellow ball in the daylight.

Let Ch 7 show highlights of the 1pm Foxtel game for an hour from 5pm to lead into the news, like old times.
"If you don't want to know the score, look away now"

There should be NO Sunday games scheduled after 2.10pm in Melbourne

Agree... Sunday twilight should be 4:10pm and alternate between Adelaide and Perth games.

FootyJunkie.... i can't believe what i'm reading in this thread. You just agreed there should be NO games on Sunday scheduled after 2:10pm in Melbourne.......... then proceed to say there should be Sunday twilight games which would be played after 2:10pm ?!

Half the people in here just talk blabber without thinking.

FootyJunkie.... i can't believe what i'm reading in this thread. You just agreed there should be NO games on Sunday scheduled after 2:10pm in Melbourne.......... then proceed to say there should be Sunday twilight games which would be played after 2:10pm ?!

There needs to be 3 games on Sunday right, so one game has to played later.

A 4:10pm game from Adelaide (local 3:40pm) or Perth (local 2:10pm) is a decent compromise.

Instead of these s**t split rounds with 4-5 games, should be one bye per team per year with two teams getting byes between (and including) rounds 7-15. Still get 8 games per round like it was in the past and plenty of games every week.

Thursday nights have worked, guess this was an experimental year with the fixture so some things were going to work while others were going to fail. Hopefully with Gill now in, we get consistent non-bizarre fixturing from next year.

*Three or Four 2x Friday night with the second game in Perth is doable. Probably would be a pay tv game for the eastern states though. which is fine since the more widely appealing game would be on FTA earlier. Think kind of like how ANZAC day was this year

* Any Sunday 4:40 aest game must be in Perth. Twilight Sunday is crap otherwise

Season also needs to be 24-25 games long from 2016 (difficult next year with Cricket World cup), though long odds on that happening due to ground issues and players association.

Last edited:
There needs to be 3 games on Sunday right, so one game has to played later.

A 4:10pm game from Adelaide (local 3:40pm) or Perth (local 2:10pm) is a decent compromise.

Ok well that's going away from what you said before. In any case I think that's a decent compromise too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he means Adelaide and Perth games only.

^^ I seriously regret starting this thread now. Have heard more constructive ideas from a bunch of drunks in the smokers area of some s**t bar.

The AFL wanted to trial a few time slots and show the TV networks whether or not they would be viable options in the future. 2014 was the best year to do this as there was an outgoing and incoming CEO. The outgoing CEO takes the blame for the fixture but it does not affect him or his bonuses in any way. The incoming CEO is clear of any blame, fixes the problem with the 2015 fixture and everyone is happy and embracing the new boss.

The AFL wanted to trial a few time slots and show the TV networks whether or not they would be viable options in the future. 2014 was the best year to do this as there was an outgoing and incoming CEO. The outgoing CEO takes the blame for the fixture but it does not affect him or his bonuses in any way. The incoming CEO is clear of any blame, fixes the problem with the 2015 fixture and everyone is happy and embracing the new boss.

True that. That's similar to how some things went down in the NBA with the new commissioner.

Wasn't this timeslot voted the most popular in the AFL fan survey?

Did the AFL pay a bunch of people to fill out the survey? Crap timeslot IMO

Any football outside of these timeslots is annoying for attendance!
Friday 7:30pm
Saturday 2:10pm
Sunday 2:10pm

Did the AFL pay a bunch of people to fill out the survey? Crap timeslot IMO

Any football outside of these timeslots is annoying for attendance!
Friday 7:30pm
Saturday 2:10pm
Sunday 2:10pm

Why is Friday night 7:30 fine but Saturday night 7:30 not fine?

I think four games should be held at 2:10pm on a Saturday afternoon with one game each on Thurs night (or Friday night x 2 (with one in perth) ) Friday night, Saturday night with the last two games on a Sunday (no twilight unless a 2:10 local start in Perth) . But local leagues and Fox probably wouldn't like that.

Why is Friday night 7:30 fine but Saturday night 7:30 not fine?

Much more likely to have plans on a Saturday night!

??

that's how the fixtures work though newbie

Says someone who's avatar says "Port Adelaide heads for the AFL"

Much more likely to have plans on a Saturday night!

Not really, most people go out for drinks right after work on a Friday. Saturday is either family for the oldies with kids or party time for the adolescents. It's the families that have their time at the footy more on a Saturday night than Friday when the kids are unruly straight from school. And you can always go out to a club after the footy on a Saturday night.. who would want to go out before 10pm anyway?

Not really, most people go out for drinks right after work on a Friday. Saturday is either family for the oldies with kids or party time for the adolescents. It's the families that have their time at the footy more on a Saturday night than Friday when the kids are unruly straight from school. And you can always go out to a club after the footy on a Saturday night.. who would want to go out before 10pm anyway?

Few beers after work at the pub on Friday, then head to the footy. Perfect.
Clubbing? Not as often these days.

But it's almost like I posted what suited me better, rather than everyone else ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back