New idea for the DRS

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said above, benefit of doubt to the batsman.

It's just an idea, seeing as the current DRS is apparently not working.
I think the current DRS is fine. What doesn't work is how captains are using it. There's nothing quite like human error (which, ironically enough, is why we have the system in the first place!)

It's not about sympathy for the teams. It's about not wanting to see crap decisions in test cricket.

I agree. My point is that a 50-50 given either way is not a crap decision. So don't challenge it. That way when a genuine crap decision - McCullum - occurs, you can be sure (within reason*) that it will be overturned.

* I still can't understand how Khawaja's dismissal in 2013 wasn't overturned!!

The amusing thing is that no decisions have been reversed based on referrals in the series. So people are moaning about it but, if we didn't have it, then the outcome wouldn't have been any different anyway. It isn't that big an issue.
None have been reversed but the McCullum dismissal and the Khawaja edge yesterday should have been overturned to out. Wouldn't change the result I admit but thered be a different outcome in their respective cases.

None have been reversed but the McCullum dismissal and the Khawaja edge yesterday should have been overturned to out. Wouldn't change the result I admit but thered be a different outcome in their respective cases.
And the only people to blame for that are the players.

Simple, You shouldnt lose a review for umpires call.

Secondly teams should not use it for lbw unless something obviouse has happened like an inside edge. It is just too hard to overturn with umpires call (obviously this changes if you dont lose a review for umpires call)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Simple, You shouldnt lose a review for umpires call.

Secondly teams should not use it for lbw unless something obviouse has happened like an inside edge. It is just too hard to overturn with umpires call (obviously this changes if you dont lose a review for umpires call)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Even simpler, if something is that close you shouldn't be challenging it. If you do and lose a challenge. Tough!

As I said above, benefit of doubt to the batsman.

It's just an idea, seeing as the current DRS is apparently not working.

But then when the ump gives a few plumb as can be lbw's not out and there is no way he can check those we have people talking about how useless the new drs system is and we go back to the old days of umps being called cheats when they make a few stuff ups.

If the umps are in charge they would(understandably) want to check every single appeal not just those they gave out which would mean about 50 overs a day.

But then when the ump gives a few plumb as can be lbw's not out and there is no way he can check those we have people talking about how useless the new drs system is and we go back to the old days of umps being called cheats when they make a few stuff ups.

If the umps are in charge they would(understandably) want to check every single appeal not just those they gave out which would mean about 50 overs a day.

Whatever system is in place will have critics.

Even if every single decision is reviewed there are still going to be arguments over 'umpire's call'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This; and some of the 3rd umpires decision making has been questionable on edges....
To be fair that's because hotspot clearly doesn't work for fine edges. It gives false negatives.

The 3rd ump accepts it if it shows something, but doesn't if there's nothing.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The only way around this conundrum is for teams to have unlimited reviews

And when they run out, give em another one

Take it out of the players hands. The game should be umpired as per normal and the third umpire upstairs can decide if decision is right or wrong. That way we get all right and no team running out of reviews.

And the umpires would then choose to review very few decisions or every single decision.

Imagine on a turner lbw shouts every 2nd ball the 3rd ump would surely need to review every single one just to be sure wouldn't he?

If he didn't and one was shown to be out just imagine the outcry.

It's already been said, but the DRS just looks bad because captains and players are using it wrong. It's not there to make judgement calls on super-close LBWs, it's there for when the players know that the umpire got it wrong, not when they think they might possibly be able to get away with a close call.

McCullum's dismissal in the second innings of the first test was a textbook example - Williamson wastes the review on an LBW that would never have been controversial pre-DRS, and then McCullum can't use it when he actually knows that he got a bad call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back