New iphone

Remove this Banner Ad

tumblr_mb0sjbIlIy1qery84.jpg

What I don't get is people who upgrade every single time a new model comes out. I tend to go on 24 month plans with Telstra. Each time I re-contract they "give" me a new phone and it's done. Other people get an iPhone 5, then a 5S, then a 6 - all within two years. What's with that? You can't re-contract every 6 months, so these people are obviously paying $800 or whatever it costs to get a new handset outright every 6-12 months. Bizarre.
This thread is giving me great LOL's keep em coming.

I ditched the Iphone 4 years ago. The screen size finally gave me the **** when everyone else was supersizing. Haven't figured out what I'm getting next in Dec.

What I really wanted to talk about was Phone Plans. The highest plan you can get on Optus is $100 a month. Unlimited calls, $100 International, 8 GB data. Pay an extra $30 a month and you get to upgrade the phone every 12 months.

I pay my bill personally. Work reimburses me 100%. That's how some people are upgrading every 12 months.

To me it just seems like a midnight premiere event for the techy gadget crowd. The lining up in anticipation is part of the event for them.

Gadget culture lost my interest probably around the time the iPhone was released, I think it was the last gadget I was genuinely intrigued by. Even the mid 00s console war releases were a bit meh. For me, the height of my interest was the turn of the millennium, when the new game consoles, initial iPod, phone advances, DVDs, computer advances and new game boys were coming out.

I've only ever owned two phones, a nokia which I got in 2004, which was replaced by an iPhone 3 (I think) in 2009. Still have it. Will upgrade when I need to. I only really use phones for phone things anyway. For the last couple years I've generally boycotted Korean products, so haven't even considered the Galaxy.

To me it just seems like a midnight premiere event for the techy gadget crowd. The lining up in anticipation is part of the event for them.

Gadget culture lost my interest probably around the time the iPhone was released, I think it was the last gadget I was genuinely intrigued by. Even the mid 00s console war releases were a bit meh. For me, the height of my interest was the turn of the millennium, when the new game consoles, initial iPod, phone advances, DVDs, computer advances and new game boys were coming out.

I've only ever owned two phones, a nokia which I got in 2004, which was replaced by an iPhone 3 (I think) in 2009. Still have it. Will upgrade when I need to. I only really use phones for phone things anyway. For the last couple years I've generally boycotted Korean products, so haven't even considered the Galaxy.
Interesting post. When I was a kid, this is like 2005 to 2007, I was really into games. I bought the Xbox magazine every month and rinsed the demos, but in actuality didn't buy too many games or even really enjoy much more than Hit & Run (the greatest cultural item of the Australian middle classes – everyone had that thing) and FIFA, but I just liked keeping up with games. Scrappings, cancellations, hype et al was the interesting part even though the closest I got to a midnight launch was a PS3 a day or two after it came out.

Interesting about the phone too. My friends hang a bit on me for still having an old iPhone, and as much as I post dumb Snapchat stories no one cares about, I don't really use it a massive amount. I hate reading articles on it. If the three or four apps I use a lot were on a computer, I'd use them only on the computer, you know? I know this isn't your point at all, I'm just extending on it.

I think there's something just boring and lame about technology now. It's so embedded and normal now. Things just seem gimmicky and the competition is like... it doesn't really exist. In 1999, you had this sense of wonder and excitement and this massive jump: in five, six years you were going from a Super Nintendo to a PS2. And it wasn't just a PS2, there was Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, all these companies putting out new consoles that were different and to which everyone had a parochial leech to. Who knows.

I always thought lining up for technology was a little poindexter, it obviously is, but I probably can't talk considering I walk past those outdated looking emo kids (lol am I typing this on a Myspace blog? Livejournal?) on Swanston Street out the front of the Hi Fi and think, "sure your music is s**t and contrived and not even individual, but I wish I could've been 14 and 15 and sat in a line for 12 hours with my friends and other kids I never knew but could meet." I give the pass mark to people lining up for sneakers though. Maybe because I inherited an adoration and enjoyment for those MTV Cribs like segments where some cool mother*er from Oakland shows you his walk in wardrobe full of 1979 Adidas prototypes...

The local Blockbuster is actually closing down this week, with a full stock sale starting 2pm tomorrow. I think that is the only thing I would have lined up for in years (except more like 10 minutes than 12 hours lol).

Yeah, technological change just fails to thrill much anymore (although it is making our lives a hell of a lot easier). I guess these days its less about what an object can do, and more about what technology can do for me. Its a lot more about the intertwined complementary experience nowadays than marveling from afar. I feel like cinema and gaming have both gone through a post-CGI shift where ground breaking developments tend to be how we interact with the medium (i.e. Gravity, Boyhood/Wii, etc.)

But as for the possessiveness of gadgets themselves (in isolation), they just don't have the lustrous desirability they once had. That level of affection isn't there anymore (except in retro fetish), they are more disposable. As a comparison, I guess the space race of the gadgets age is over, and we are not taking men to the moon anymore, but sending probes to someplace or other. We've touched the sky, we aren't dreaming anymore. The honeymoon between ourselves and our gadgets is over.

Last edited:
some in this thread will love this

I'll provide cliffs on what is a very basic article

Wife leaves husband because she says hes values material objects more than his family

His solution to getting her back on side is to buy her the new iphone :drunk:

he lined up 44 hours before the release to ensure he got it

hes unemployed and got it on credit

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/09/21/13/28/husband-tries-to-win-back-wife-with-iphone-6

msm though so it might be a fake

The local Blockbuster is actually closing down this week, with a full stock sale starting 2pm tomorrow. I think that is the only thing I would have lined up for in years (except more like 10 minutes than 12 hours lol).

Yeah, technological change just fails to thrill much anymore (although it is making our lives a hell of a lot easier). I guess these days its less about what an object can do, and more about what technology can do for me. Its a lot more about the intertwined complementary experience nowadays than marveling from afar. I feel like cinema and gaming have both gone through a post-CGI shift where ground breaking developments tend to be how we interact with the medium (i.e. Gravity, Boyhood/Wii, etc.)

But as for the possessiveness of gadgets themselves (in isolation), they just don't have the lustrous desirability they once had. That level of affection isn't there anymore (except in retro fetish), they are more disposable. As a comparison, I guess the space race of the gadgets age is over, and we are not taking men to the moon anymore, but sending probes to someplace or other. We've touched the sky, we aren't dreaming anymore. The honeymoon between ourselves and our gadgets is over.
Blockbusters still in operation are now just indictments on suburbs.

Also, I think the thing about the normalisation of things like phones is that it's not really about someone's enjoyment and actual passion for technology – it's just a social barometer. It's no different of a status symbol than a Range Rover at Saturday soccer.

Also, I think the thing about the normalisation of things like phones is that it's not really about someone's enjoyment and actual passion for technology – it's just a social barometer. It's no different of a status symbol than a Range Rover at Saturday soccer.
That's not entirely fair. As a cinephile, I've still used them liberally in recent years ($2 Tuesdays with a great range of otherwise unattainable films). Plus, Kingston in the ACT still has one, and that is one of the more affluent suburbs in the country. I find the inner city suburbs that have easy access for walking and a good mix of shops/residential make Blockbuster still manageable. The business is no doubt dying and its days are numbered, but if an entire suburb can walk there within minutes, then it's different to a suburban place you have to drive to.

But yeah, after tomorrow the ACT will only have about 2 in operation, both of which could go under at any minute. I've been waiting for this sale like a vulture lol.

Last edited:
This should make people think.

478307.jpg

Inspector gadget, his daughter is called, Penny. What else? She has a Smartwatch/phone. Show was made 32 years ago, when everyone else was using

ae80e.jpg

A phone is a status symbol?

Pretty sure it's just a handy tool that everybody has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assumedly those that upgrade their phone every year do so because they want the latest and greatest, so it puzzles me why people seemingly blindly ignore that companies other than Apple (and Samsung) do make smart phones that are the equal to or superior to the iPhone.

I don't like the iPhones. I don't think they are worth it, and I think they have been behind other companies for years. The stupidity of the iTunes syncing is just contempt shown towards buyers.
I had an iPhone 3gs, I still have it and it still works well. It's my music player now, as well as a gaming device for nieces and nephews.
I have a Nokia n900. It's now a wireless mini keyboard/mouse for my media room. I can control everything with it.

Currently I have a Samsung galaxy s4. The resolution on it is fantastic (1080 x 1920), it has 2GB of ram, 1.6GHZ quadcore processor, I can put a larger battery into it, and I've put a 64Gb mem card in.(Try do that with the iPhone)
Imagine that in a computer 20 years ago...
It's an incredibly powerful pocket computer. And it is ideal for my lifestyle.

Not all people have the same lifestyle as each other.
Some people don't care for technology, and so it doesn't interest them. No problem, but that doesn't mean that they should poo-poo(verb) people who take advantage of what is available.
This is anecdotal, but from my experience, people are against technology, until they are shown how to use it.
Computers and the internet for example.

I use it for so many things. And I am able to take advantage of its capabilities, because I also keep up to date with other technologies and applications.

Everything works better than it would in the $50 flip phone. Calls are clearer and more audible.
Alarm tone can be set for snooze, time between snooze can be changed. Number of times you can hit snooze. It even has a peaceful tone you can turn on, that will start 3 minutes before your alarm, that can wake you more gently (depending on how heavily asleep you are).

I can access my computer and files from anywhere. I can reboot to ubuntu from windows.
I can use remote access to fix computer problems for friends and family while I am out and about.

I use Google for all of my current documents. Google drive, and other cloud systems, means I can catch up on a report anywhere, anytime.

I use it to read books, reports, comics. I use it as a torch.
It's my camera, graphic calculator, secretary, general assistant.
Use it to time my runs and rides, and the distances. It gives me my average speed, and speed at certain areas. I can add notes at the end.
Enjoying dinner with friends somewhere I've not visited before, but I have a flight in two hours, I decided I'm having such a good time, I'll stay longer. Ok, going to skip public transport and grab a taxi. Google taxi, get the number, call, set the time and location for pick up (phone gives me the address), and receive a text when the taxi is nearby. On route phone tells me the time until destination, and is smack on.
Do I need any of that? No... But I don't need toilet paper... It just makes life easier.

And finally, if for nothing else.
Dentist/doctors etc waiting rooms! No more of those shitty magazines, or avoiding eye contact with the elderly gentleman who isn't aware his balls are hanging out of his too short, shorts. Or he is very aware...
I can jump on bigfooty and make a snide remark. Or shoot birds at a pig's home. Play sudoku. Or I'm sure I could find and play a game, about waiting for a drs appointment.

I am going to be spending a certain amount on credit each month anyway, so I may as well pick up a phone for free.
So rather than pay $50 for a call/txt/snake phone and then purchase credit for the next two years. I'll get a contract, pay for the credit I would have paid for anyway, save myself $50! And get a top of the range, $900 phone, for free.

Phones aren't ruining people, phones aren't ruining children.
Technology is about making life easier. Just because life is becoming more stressful, doesn't mean it is the fault of smart phones.
If you were a telemarketer, I would have hung up ages ago. Sorry

To be honest I can understand someone like FloorPie buying a brand new phone regularly as clearly they know how to get the most out of it and technology is a big part of their life; it's integrated into their work/home lives and the upgrade would likely make things easier for them. Average people who aren't like that and only use it for text/calls and maybe a bit of facebook/snapchat but line up for hours to get one because it's new and they need one are idiots though. They're wasting hours of their time/hundreds of dollars on something that adds no greater value to their lives.
Actually, the whole lining up for hours for something you could easily buy the day(s) afterwards is idiotic regardless of how useful it is to you. GF tickets or an exclusive concert I can understand the desire to lineup for ages for (there is only one/few, you either get it then or never). But for a consumer good that's just going to become increasingly more available wasting all that effort to be the 'first' is just stupid.

To be honest I can understand someone like FloorPie buying a brand new phone regularly as clearly they know how to get the most out of it and technology is a big part of their life; it's integrated into their work/home lives and the upgrade would likely make things easier for them. Average people who aren't like that and only use it for text/calls and maybe a bit of facebook/snapchat but line up for hours to get one because it's new and they need one are idiots though. They're wasting hours of their time/hundreds of dollars on something that adds no greater value to their lives.
Actually, the whole lining up for hours for something you could easily buy the day(s) afterwards is idiotic regardless of how useful it is to you. GF tickets or an exclusive concert I can understand the desire to lineup for ages for (there is only one/few, you either get it then or never). But for a consumer good that's just going to become increasingly more available wasting all that effort to be the 'first' is just stupid.

Yeah, there are idiots who just buy for the sake of it.
I don't buy new phones regularly though. I won't get the s5, I'll stick with my s4 until there is a substantial improvement. I can repair mobile phones, so I won't need to replace it until I want.
As is I don't think there is anything too impressive on the horizon, so I'll stick with this for the next couple of years.

Cannot understand the need to be the first owner of the latest iteration of the same thing. What will it accomplish??
I always wait a while to read reviews, and hear first hand info, on how something works. I've no intention of being the first person in line to buy a white elephant.
Then most of the bugs will have been worked out, google will have plenty of answers on how to do things, and I can make an informed decision on what I want to purchase.

The good thing about the formation of lines outside apple stores for iphone releases is that it lets the public see exactly who are the f*cking morons in their town.

So, as a rational iPhone 5S owner is there any actual reason to buy an iPhone 6?

Bigger screen if you prefer it

Better resolution

Better camera

More powerful/more CPU power

Better battery life

A 128g version which is a first

Those are the differences, whether you think it's worth it or not is a personal thing and what you like or need in a smart phone

As someone who hates/doesn't know the intricacies of Apple products (the lowest common denominator UI mostly), is there any reason for a rational iPhone 4S owner to buy an iPhone 5? Except for the pleasure of replacing all your cables of course (the lack of outrage at which I was baffled by btw).

I have an old Galaxy Nexus, which runs perfectly fine and has the latest and greatest clean Android OS on it. And besides maybe the S5's waterproof-ness, I have yet to come across a non gimmicky reason to upgrade to anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back