New Leagues for North-East Victoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

JOHNNY GASTEV

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2008
Lavington
AFL Club
West Coast
After the folding of the Benalla league a number of O and K clubs haven't been rapt about the former BDFL clubs joining the comp, particularly in regard to distance for teams to travel, Bright and Boonie Doon are the ones that will struggle the most.

The Upper Murray league has struggled over the last few years to field 2nd and junior sides regularly. I have done 3 mock leagues that would lessen travel distance and help increase player participation across the 2'nd and 3rd grades. Clubs would sacrifice rivalries but in this day and age clubs are merging or going under so many ego's particularly from long time club officials clinging to the past.

The North Eastern League (10 teams)
*Bright
*Yackandandah
*Beechworth
*Chiltern
*Rutherglen
*North Wang
*Barnawartha
*Tarrawingee
*Whorouly
*Wahgunyah

The Albury/Wodonga League (10 teams)
*Mitta
*Wodonga Saints
*Tallangatta
*Corryong/Federal Merger
*Cudgewa/Walwa Merger
*Thurgoona
*Murray Magpies (Moving from the Hume league)
*Bullioh
*Kiewa-Sandy Creek
*Dederang-Mt.Beauty

The Wangaratta and District League (10 teams)
*Greta
*Bonnie Doon
*Tatong
*King Valley
*Glenrowan
*Goorambat
*Benalla All Blacks
*Milawa
*Swampool
*Moyhu

Tumbarumba would move to the Farrer league where they have a greater chance of recruiting players out of Wagga and keeping their juniors from going to higher standard comps.

Wahgunyah still have a couple of long trips but the bulk of the teams they play against now are in the TDFL and after playing against Coly and Jerilderie in the old Coreen league travel wouldn't be strange to them. Their other option would be to join the Hume league.

Overall though, these three new leagues would shorten most teams trips to opposition venues, while the mergers would provide greater playing numbers for senior and junior sides. The three comps could be run under one umbrella (eg. Football North-East). Any ones thoughts out there???:confused:

I'd love to see the Bullioh vs Tallangatta game, that would be a nice rivalry to get up and running in the new league.:)

Is Tumba good enough to be competitive in the Farrer league???:confused:

Interesting reading in today's Weekly Times that the VCFL predicts that up to 10 leagues will fold/merge within the next decade and that smaller ones are the most likely to go. I wonder what this means to us folks in the Upper Murray??? I'd hate to see us have merge with Feds!!!!

After reading today about the possible demise of Border/Walwa I think the North East hub/UMFL may have to consider doing something along those lines.:(

Sad but true Toecutter but they will wait till a few clubs dye off until something is done:eek:

Restructure all N/E football leagues is badly needed and what:thumbsu: "Johnny Gastev" wrote back in 2009 on here is right on the money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back