Rumour New List Manager - Matthew Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Whispers also said Jeremy Cameron to Crows. Which I find highly, highly unlikely.

But this would be a massive turnaround.

You never know. Cameron could be unhappy or a bit disenchanted with GWS's obsession of drafting Power Forwards and perhaps he feels he is certain to be forced away from Goal at GWS. In reality the drafting of Boyd was blatant greed rather than sound list management. As far as him ending up on the crows list, we would have to be giving up something pretty big to getting and I just cant see it happening.

No one has a perfect record. What all clubs would love is for the first round picks to develop into quality players, you jag a few good players from lower picks and you get good value for trades.

We don't know how much the selections were Rendell as compared to other recruiters but our recent top 15 picks have been Dangerfield, Talia, Smith and Crouch. Lower picks have been Sloane and Walker (via NSW rookie scheme), Laird, Brown (we were bluffing when we said he would have been a first rounder) and Hendo. Trades include Jacobs, Jenkins and Lynch.

The misses include McKernan (a 2nd rounder), Tambling, Joyce and Armstrong. Hardly high cost failures.

Thanks to Triggy we can't judge much fron the last 2 years when our best pick has been in the 20's.
Yep get all that - but I have to pull you up about mcKernan and Joyce not being high cost failures.

McKernan was selected 1 pick before Dan Hannebury who wad 1 pick before Dane Beams. As for Joyce - Lachlan Murdoch anyone ?

They all make mistakes, and he's had some good wins as I said. I think Noble takes the trading credit dosent he?

You never know. Cameron could be unhappy or a bit disenchanted with GWS's obsession of drafting Power Forwards and perhaps he feels he is certain to be forced away from Goal at GWS. In reality the drafting of Boyd was blatant greed rather than sound list management. As far as him ending up on the crows list, we would have to be giving up something pretty big to getting and I just cant see it happening.

That's what I was referring too. Can't see the Crows even bothering knowing how much they'd have to give up.

Does anyone have any idea of who Whispers actually is? Or is he some fictional 5AA thing that they just do on the show as a way of passing on rumours "indirectly"?

McKernan was selected 1 pick before Dan Hannebury who wad 1 pick before Dane Beams. As for Joyce - Lachlan Murdoch anyone ?
Don't think I'll be losing any sleep missing out on Murdoch.

Sure, missing out on Beams and Hannebury hurts but it's hard to know whether they were even in contention for our pick with McKernan or whether we were looking at someone else. It seems like we were going for needs which is why we went with the KP player in McKernan who Rendell always had big wraps on (who hasn't come on).

Again, can't expect a perfect hit rate but he's done very well with the first couple of picks he's had in every draft just about.

what the hell is this rumour about Jeremy Cameron to Adelaide? That is the exact definition of crazy talk...
Every team board would have a Jeremy Cameron thread!

Everyone's crazy except us

So what would it take for us to get Camerson? What would we give up?

Let's assume the club isn't going to trade any of Jacobs, Talia, Walker, Sloane, Dangerfield (unless he looks like he's leaving), B Crouch and Smith... so who else has any sort of value?

Douglas is the first one that springs to mind. Henderson, Otten and Mackay would have trade value too. Then there's younger guys - Kerridge, Brown, etc. (Actually it's probably just those two and Laird with any value). Obviously the first round pick would be involved too.

Basically we have no chance.

Last edited:
what the hell is this rumour about Jeremy Cameron to Adelaide? That is the exact definition of crazy talk...
Exactly. And when they say Adelaide, that's Adelaide - the city. Don't be surprised to see Cameron dressed in teal instead of the tri-colours. That would make more sense, considering Port have only one viable tall forward, and 'the future' who wouldn't get a game for hicksville primary school, and a floating half back/half forward who can spud it up better than most when he's not front-running.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. And when they say Adelaide, that's Adelaide - the city. Don't be surprised to see Cameron dressed in teal instead of the tri-colours. That would make more sense, considering Port have only one viable tall forward, and 'the future' who wouldn't get a game for hicksville primary school, and a floating half back/half forward who can spud it up better than most when he's not front-running.:)
Don't you think the gaping hole at the Pahhh will be more of a turn off. He's leaving a situation where he has been the sole forward getting double and triple teamed every week.

I think being part of a multi faceted forward line might be appealing

Makes more sense.

We have Jenkins, Walker, J-Pod. Sure J-Pod will retire, but we've got two, do we want three?
Port have Schulz. Then daylight, then sunlight, then daylight again, then Butcher. That Shaw kid might be alright but he's a little while away - and what better way to keep momentum up in the visibility stakes than by grabbing the most exciting new FF of the last ten years?

Don't you think the gaping hole at the Pahhh will be more of a turn off. He's leaving a situation where he has been the sole forward getting double and triple teamed every week.

God I hope you're right!! I certainly want Cameron to be thinking that way, but well, money talks. Will we be able to afford him when we are trying to hang on to Danger, Tex, and Rory S.

So what would it take for us to get Camerson? What would we give up?

Let's assume the club isn't going to trade any of Jacobs, Talia, Walker, Sloane, Dangerfield (unless he looks like he's leaving), B Crouch and Smith... so who else has any sort of value?

Douglas is the first one that springs to mind. Henderson, Otten and Mackay would have trade value too. Then there's younger guys - Kerridge, Brown, etc. (Actually it's probably just those two and Laird with any value). Obviously the first round pick would be involved too.

Basically we have no chance.
And he just re-signed for another couple of years. :p

Last edited:
Is Rendall employed at Collingwood or not? If he's not then I reckon he'll come back to us. Rendall might have some really strong ties to people in the Crowd organization and the state. He might prefer to be in Adelaide rather than anywhere else. Personally if I got sacked unfairly I'd love to then be rehired by that organization in a superior role! What a f*** Y** to the people responsible for your downfall!!!

I'd certainly welcome Rendell back with open arms, but it seems unlikely to me considering his position at Collingwood and the circumstances under which he left ou club originally.

Channel 9 (terrible source I know) reported that we were considering James Fantasia for this role a couple of nights ago. PLEASE SAY THIS ISN'T SO!

I'd certainly welcome Rendell back with open arms, but it seems unlikely to me considering his position at Collingwood and the circumstances under which he left ou club originally.

Channel 9 (terrible source I know) reported that we were considering James Fantasia for this role a couple of nights ago. PLEASE SAY THIS ISN'T SO!

Is he recovered from his ill health?

Yep get all that - but I have to pull you up about mcKernan and Joyce not being high cost failures.

They all make mistakes, and he's had some good wins as I said. I think Noble takes the trading credit doesnt he?

Yes, I could give you thousands of examples of clubs making wiser picks with the benefit of hindsight. If your benchmark is that every pick we have ever made is better than any picks made after us then Rendell is a failure as is every other recruiter.

Joyce was pick 46 FFS. You can expect less than 10% of picks above 40 to turn into good AFL footballers.

Mckernan was pick 28. I would be happy to provide a page of tall players (who have a lower success rate than midfielders) who were picked earlier than pick 28 and have achieved even less than Smack.

At the risk of morphing into BicksMattrox, I believe player recruitment is one of the areas that the AFC has performed well in recent years. What really hurts clubs is wasting top 10 picks like Angwin and Watts. It has been a very long time since this has happened at the AFC.

He's also got some elite future KP talls next to him in Boyd and Patton if he's willing to wait a couple more years so I don't think that would be the reason he'd leave.

Also interested to hear how people think our forward line would work, mainly the ones that say we're too tall with Tex, Pods, Jenkins and Lynch. Pods would go out for Cameron which would give us less mobility than it currently has.

Would love Cameron but I just don't see it happening.

Yes, I could give you thousands of examples of clubs making wiser picks with the benefit of hindsight. If your benchmark is that every pick we have ever made is better than any picks made after us then Rendell is a failure as is every other recruiter.

Joyce was pick 46 FFS. You can expect less than 10% of picks above 40 to turn into good AFL footballers.

Mckernan was pick 28. I would be happy to provide a page of tall players (who have a lower success rate than midfielders) who were picked earlier than pick 28 and have achieved even less than Smack.

At the risk of morphing into BicksMattrox, I believe player recruitment is one of the areas that the AFC has performed well in recent years. What really hurts clubs is wasting top 10 picks like Angwin and Watts. It has been a very long time since this has happened at the AFC.
Look, I've acknowledged his successes and in no way am I saying he's not good at what he does - I've also acknowledged that it's not an exact science and others make mistakes too.

What I object to is this notion that he is the all knowing guru when he has made mistakes.

Makes more sense.

We have Jenkins, Walker, J-Pod. Sure J-Pod will retire, but we've got two, do we want three?
Port have Schulz. Then daylight, then sunlight, then daylight again, then Butcher. That Shaw kid might be alright but he's a little while away - and what better way to keep momentum up in the visibility stakes than by grabbing the most exciting new FF of the last ten years?

this is true. Our Forward line is already very good. If we are going to be splashing Cameron type money i would rather it be on a need than a want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back