Rumour New List Manager - Matthew Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure whether you're saying that Roo hasn't got the appropriate business acumen to be a good Chairman, but let me re-assure you that Roo has been very well mentored in this area by Peter Hurley, a director of the AFC, as has Goody, both in theory and in practice. As a result Roo has a string of commercial interests of his own, and could certainly buy and sell most people, having built up considerable assets through these ventures.

Roo has all the qualifications to be our next Chairman, including business acumen, and IMO certainly will be within the next couple of years.
IMO, Chapman will be gone within 18 months - possibly earlier - as soon as Roo feels like he is comfortable taking over the top gig. Reckon there is already a mutual understanding in place.

If Chapman was hanging around, he would have been on the CEO interview panel. I have always been on the interview panel (usually chair) for all my key staff appointments. The fact Roo rather than Chapman is on the panel tells the story that more changes will occur...

Viva the Roovolution!

No one else is sus that Chapman isn't on the selection committee in case we appoint from within? Can't get criticised if he wasn't on the panel.

Chances of that are very slim I would think. The internal candidates aren't up to it, by the very admission of the Chairman himself. It has to be an outsider or there will be even bigger rumblings aimed at the club than there were about Trigg.

did put something in the triggy resign thread suggesting a strained relationship between trigg and club. I thought it was pretty funny and was expecting many likes, but twas just the one sadly. did it on the weekend and it started with chappy telling trigg he better get his skates on because we're starting to run out of projects to explain why he's still here. anyway, if spackler had posted it, there would have been international acclaim.

I know roo is getting a lot of credit. but, even though I've never spoken to anyone that works at the club, I have this feeling that noble moving into control of the the footy dept has shed a bit of light and perhaps escalated some issues to the forefront of board members consciousness. obviously, roo getting involved provides another level of impetus, but looking from (very) afar, I think nobles promotion may not be getting the recognition it deserves.
I have no doubt Noble is the best performer in AFC's management - & to keep him, we have had no choice but to restructure to promote him & effectively demote Harper (if not on paper).

I would like to see Smart & Harper gone.

Noble become the CCO/GM of Footy Operations - effectively 2IC to the new CEO, as IMO he could become a future CEO with more experience as he is a smart operator - even if he has the wrong surname.

Then strengthen the Footy Ops department with another good manager or 2 with good footy experience & quality operators of course.

I feel so much better now that the cleanout has started & we can bring in some new management to badly refresh what has been a stale complacent club.

No, he categorically ruled himself out. :)

Ah yes, and he has also told us all the details of the Tippet deal and what we did wrong as he promised to do...............

Really can't see any of those within being CEO. Smart never will be good enough, Noble aint ready and Chapman's time at our club may be up once the clean out is through.

Ah yes, and he has also told us all the details of the Tippet deal and what we did wrong as he promised to do...............
For once, I actually think he may be telling the truth that he won't be applying for the CEO role ... even if he does have a dodgy track record!

No one else is sus that Chapman isn't on the selection committee in case we appoint from within? Can't get criticised if he wasn't on the panel.

I'd suggest the opposite could be equally as likely. chapman's not on the panel because he was part of the duo that all but offered the job to smart in the first place under a 'controlled handover' scenario. chapman is hopelessly compromised and needs fresh air between himself and this process.

Not sure whether you're saying that Roo hasn't got the appropriate business acumen to be a good Chairman, but let me re-assure you that Roo has been very well mentored in this area by Peter Hurley, a director of the AFC, as has Goody, both in theory and in practice. As a result Roo has a string of commercial interests of his own, and could certainly buy and sell most people, having built up considerable assets through these ventures.

Roo has all the qualifications to be our next Chairman, including business acumen, and IMO certainly will be within the next couple of years.

Owning some pubs and being mentored doesn't equal big business acumen. There's a huge difference in the running of a small and big business and he has no experience at all.

I know we all love Roo but he has zero runs on the board for that role unless it is a purely symbolic and public relations role.

Owning some pubs and being mentored doesn't equal big business acumen. There's a huge difference in the running of a small and big business and he has no experience at all.

I know we all love Roo but he has zero runs on the board for that role unless it is a purely symbolic and public relations role.
He may not have the formal qualifications like some of us, but Roo has street smarts & has been well mentored.

Agree he is not ready right now for the Chairman role, but he will be soon.

Also, he is be smarter enough to get good operators around him & clean out the deadwood.

Being a Chairman is not about being a 1 man operator, but assembling a good team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My heart bleeds for you Matty re the lack of acclaim for your unrecognized piece of brilliance. :(

Right, having got that bullshit out the way, I have no doubt that Noble's move into total control of the footy department will flush out areas of incompetence that may well have either not been recognized or conveniently just tucked away. The significance of it is pretty big IMO as it appears that the club think that they have that part of the club in good hands now with some changes to come under Noble, which IMO will NOT be limited to the List Manager. It's only my opinion bit I'd be amazed if our fitness staff weren't almost completely revamped for starters.

M23

Any chance of getting the Birdman back to the club

I'd certainly welcome Rendell back with open arms, but it seems unlikely to me considering his position at Collingwood and the circumstances under which he left ou club originally.

Channel 9 (terrible source I know) reported that we were considering James Fantasia for this role a couple of nights ago. PLEASE SAY THIS ISN'T SO!
Fantasia is nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be, he pretty much had his hands tied behind his back by Ayres during his reign. There's a reason clubs in Vic rated him highly.

He was also responsible for guys like Truck, Bock and Mattner out of the rookie drafts I think...

Yes, I could give you thousands of examples of clubs making wiser picks with the benefit of hindsight. If your benchmark is that every pick we have ever made is better than any picks made after us then Rendell is a failure as is every other recruiter.

Joyce was pick 46 FFS. You can expect less than 10% of picks above 40 to turn into good AFL footballers.

Mckernan was pick 28. I would be happy to provide a page of tall players (who have a lower success rate than midfielders) who were picked earlier than pick 28 and have achieved even less than Smack.

At the risk of morphing into BicksMattrox, I believe player recruitment is one of the areas that the AFC has performed well in recent years. What really hurts clubs is wasting top 10 picks like Angwin and Watts. It has been a very long time since this has happened at the AFC.
Angwin was an Ayres mistake, Fantasia wanted Kornes.

M23

Any chance of getting the Birdman back to the club

I heard a whisper that he was going to be talked to about the possibility of coming back to Adelaide but I don't know whether that has happened or not yet. But he certainly is amongst the list of possible targets.

I like to think that the chairman is the position that asks the questions without fear or favour. or as hollowmen put it, frank and fearless. this isn't going to come out too well, given a lot of supporters hatred for the mob down the road. but when decisions are being made and there's some doubt about the value of those decisions, I'd like to think that the chairman would interrupt, point to the sign (here it comes) and ask how that decision aids us in achieving our mission statement that "we exist to win premierships".

the club spends enough in operational salaries, across all depts, that the chairman should not be running the club. but they are responsible for prosecuting the very reason that the club exists. I think that has been sadly lacking these past few years and our leaders have lost their way in terms of why the Adelaide football club exists. someone like chappy with a business profile needs to protect that, I'd be surprised if some other board members aren't in a similar boat. roo comes to the club completely unfettered in that regard, will do his best and if he screws up, he'll supply his own sword and won't need to be pushed upon it.

I heard a whisper that he was going to be talked to about the possibility of coming back to Adelaide but I don't know whether that has happened or not yet. But he certainly is amongst the list of possible targets.

Now that Trigg is gone hopefully the club is prepared to pay more coin to get the best fitness guru that is available

Eddie Maguire was a journo and partner in a production company that made a s**t TV show...

Angwin was an Ayres mistake, Fantasia wanted Kornes.

wasn't it something about a hawks connection, where despite the whispers (roars) that angwin had fun issues, ayers knew his old man (or similar) and thought that he could handle the lad and turn him around. young private school party boy, worth 2nd-3rd round on the market, i'll turn him around, how does pick 7 (?) sound. beautiful, done. it will give the kid an extra $15k in his first year to invest in real estate. if he doesn't respect a 3 decade (now 5) mullet, what the hell will he respect.

wasn't it something about a hawks connection, where despite the whispers (roars) that angwin had fun issues, ayers knew his old man (or similar) and thought that he could handle the lad and turn him around. young private school party boy, worth 2nd-3rd round on the market, i'll turn him around, how does pick 7 (?) sound. beautiful, done. it will give the kid an extra $15k in his first year to invest in real estate. if he doesn't respect a 3 decade (now 5) mullet, what the hell will he respect.

to my own post. very topical, carlton took him off our hands as well from what I remember. talk about a rich trading history. just wait for about 12 months, when triggs true value has been determined by the vic media (apart from the afl plants) and the board hasn't been quite as trainable as he first thought.

Grandfather as he was the boot studder sat the hawks for 20 years or something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back