New Match Day Tradition

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Got an email from the club earlier in the week telling me to be there for the unveiling of a new match day tradition.

Anyone able to tell me what it was? I wasn't late to the game, but not overly early either.

I hope they didn't mean the introduction of voice-over adverts during boundary trow-ins telling us who was sponsoring that quarter. :mad:

Got an email from the club earlier in the week telling me to be there for the unveiling of a new match day tradition.

Anyone able to tell me what it was? I wasn't late to the game, but not overly early either.

I hope they didn't mean the introduction of voice-over adverts during boundary trow-ins telling us who was sponsoring that quarter. :mad:
Something about a bell... but I missed it as well so have no idea what

Party poppers and balloons? Music?

I did hear the city bells ringing just before the siren- perhaps that might have been it?

Maybe it'd be better if the boys just were able to play their game and not have to worry about the distractions of the pre-match stuff. And they might be a distraction.

Freo have said their home games will have fireworks. It appears that all of the clubs have been ordered to 'dolly' up their home games and make them more attractive to supporters. As if ringing bells or having fireworks is going to attract people to the game. This isn't basketball.

I guess the blokes here can't wait for the cheerleaders to appear ;)

Giant bell on the back of a ute rung before the bounce. At least the club seems to be actively doing things to engage the fans. The website has improved a lot this year, the season launch was well intentioned but missed the mark a little. A bit more tweaking and we'll have some better results off field at least.

Giant bell on the back of a ute rung before the bounce. At least the club seems to be actively doing things to engage the fans. The website has improved a lot this year, the season launch was well intentioned but missed the mark a little. A bit more tweaking and we'll have some better results off field at least.
Yep, at least they're trying a few new things.

The bell in the ute was the original timekeeping bell (only know this as I got an email from the club last night saying thanks for coming to the game, nice touch :thumbsu:)

here's some info on the bell from the club:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-04-20/new-life-for-historic-bell

"THE Cats have begun what will become a tradition at all Simonds Stadium home games by getting a club great to ring a historic brass bell prior to the opening bounce.
The bell, which has a history dating back to the Geelong FC's earliest days in the 1850s, was rung before the match against Fremantle by ex-Cats player and coach John Devine.
Prior to the game against Gold Coast it was rung by former Geelong defender Tim McGrath, who has returned to health after battling a serious illness."

"When the Cats moved to Kardinia Park the bell moved with them, but it sat idle once a siren was introduced at the ground.
However, it has now been brought to life again as a key part of the build-up to every match at Simonds Stadium.
"We will ring this bell as a call to action," Gartland said. "Not just for our players, but for our supporters.
"So when you hear the bell in the coming weeks, get behind our boys.
"Let them know that they have our support, and the support of generations of Geelong people before us.
"As our club song says: 'And when the ball is bounced, to the final bell; Stand up, and fight like hell.'"

A couple of players in the post-game interviews mentioned the noise of the crowd on Sunday. Sounds like things are looking up for our supporters :)

And Brian Cook penned an open letter to all Cats fans at SS on Sunday:

To the mighty Cats fans at Simonds Stadium on Sunday,

Well it may have been a bit close for comfort but that win against the Suns will be one we remember for a long time.

The determination and discipline our players displayed despite losing three of our stars was something to inspire us all.

Speaking with the players after the game, one thing that resonated amongst all of them was how much of a motivation the noise the crowd made was to them. When the players needed you to make some noise and get behind them, you did.

Last week I was quoted in the Geelong Advertiser as saying we needed you, the supporters, to be more engaged and vocal. And you delivered.

The roar when Mark Blicavs coolly slotted a 50-meter goal to seal the game was so loud you’d have been forgiven for thinking there was 100,000 rabid Cats fans in the stadium.

So, on behalf of the club and the players, I would like to say thank you.

However, we need you to back it up this week. Once again we face a tough battle against a great opposition in North Melbourne. Your vocal support could again be decisive in our on-field chances.

See you there and Go Cats!

Brian Cook

Geelong Cats chief executive

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-04-20/cook-praises-rabid-fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back