NM_Mitchell

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2014
#westside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
We put the U in CGU
https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/the-nz-flag-your-chance-to-decide/gallery/
New Zealand looking for a new flag, currently 40 in the running, some looking very sharp.

Personal favourites include:
BLACK-JACK-FLAG-Mike-Davison.jpg

Unity-Koru-Paul-Densem-FINAL-FINAL.jpg

The first one Mitch posted is really cool, but if you're going to get rid of the Union Jack you should, y'know, get rid of the Union Jack.

All they need is a silver fern on a black background, that's instantly identifiable as NZ and isn't going to age at all. Just use a better looking fern, like the one on the green background flag.

Nice to see NZers embracing St Kilda's presence in their country, even as far as to want to change their national flag colours to red, white and black :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like this might work I reckon:

20.-Hayden-Crosby-Modified-Kyle-Lockwood-design-in-black.jpg
When i first saw this design I thought it was far and away the best one of the lot. The silver fern is definitely what they should have on their flag, and the red stars are a good continuation of the current flag.

The only criticism I have is that the fern is a little large in this design (and I feel the flag overall would be longer than the standard size for most countries). Other than that, this is a winner all the way.

Not sure letting people vote on a flag is a good idea.

People are idiots. I remember about ten years ago a woman in NSW was flying a swastika flag because it was 'pretty'. She had no idea what it was or what it meant.

Canada went through this 'flag change' process in the 60's. They got a multi-party committee to choose between a small range of designs. They kept it simple and got the Maple Leaf Flag- a simple clear flag that works very well for Canada.

Not sure letting people vote on a flag is a good idea.

People are idiots. I remember about ten years ago a woman in NSW was flying a swastika flag because it was 'pretty'. She had no idea what it was or what it meant.

Canada went through this 'flag change' process in the 60's. They got a multi-party committee to choose between a small range of designs. They kept it simple and got the Maple Leaf Flag- a simple clear flag that works very well for Canada.

I think the process that they are going through will still give a good result.

With those 40 being cut down to 4 by a panel (so hopefully the best 4 or the same design but in 4 colours, or a mix of those) then letting the people vote for which of the 4 they prefer (so they should not have a bad choice if as I already mentioned the panel selects the best 4), then the winner goes up against the current design with the winner being the flag. This process should eliminate the rubbish or poorer designs from the group leaving only 4 really good and worthy designs with the best of those being the potential option.

Plus the panel seems to have a good idea of what makes a good flag *fingers crossed*.

On a side note, there is certainly one that fits the "once seen can never be unseen" category (Yeah, sure that was the meaning behind "Together"!!!)

With those 40 being cut down to 4 by a panel (so hopefully the best 4 or the same design but in 4 colours, or a mix of those) then letting the people vote for which of the 4 they prefer (so they should not have a bad choice if as I already mentioned the panel selects the best 4), then the winner goes up against the current design with the winner being the flag.

They're already having a referendum for which of the 4 designs is preferred, logistically they couldn't really go on to have a separate one between the winner and the current flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back