Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, since re-alignment the NFC South is clearly the better division. And NFC East is around the middle.

Thru all my jibber-jabber that was essentially what I was attempting to highlight...that the NFC East isn't the best division in football.

Why? Because theyve got one more superbowl win, which happened to be this year? Thats a poor measure for the strength of a division really. Indeed, youd have to argue its actually easier to win a superbowl from a division with sub par teams.

If you actually want to test the strength of a division, you need to measure how hard it is to win the division. Wouldnt mind seeing the figures for number of wild card teams produced. In the past four seasons the NFC East has produced 10 playoff teams as far as i can remember. Thats spectacularly high.

I reckon we'll blitz more than ever mr e.

The LB situation is interesting and is the one ??? I have with trading Brown. Can't see how we can go into the season without signing another decent LB but I can't see any that we'd get without giving up something. Bushrod isn't going to get us what we need, Brown could. God help us if Vilma goes down.

Having said that though I reckon LB's are somewhat irrelevant in the GW D we could be running this year. 4-1-6/4-2-5 formations could be the norm on long fields. Vilma is a key but even with him we'll still need more talent in the group.

I know they had Clint Ingram in for a visit, I guess cos he played under GW in Jax. But I dunno that he is the answer.

I hadnt really thought of it before but i could see the 4-2-5 working a bit actually, in any case it will be interesting to see what happens.

cheers JD

STKO...

NFCS has had 3/4 teams in the SB since re-alignment. No other division can boast that. 2/3 of those teams won the SB.

AFCE has only had the Pats win 2 and lose 1 SB. So the division itself hasnt been strong. One great team in a shitty division.

NFCE has had 2/4 teams in the SB with a 1-2 record. They're up there based on that. Surprisingly, the NFCW, is the only other division that has had 2/4 teams into the SB, tho both losses.

What you suggested would also be a good measure-----number of playoff appearances overall by all 4 teams since realignment. But even better if that was also broken down team-by-team to better evaluate the strength of a division.

Stupid by NO, no way to treat my man...

The Saints reportedly plan to exercise their right to reduce restricted free agent Pierre Thomas' tender if he doesn't sign by June 15.
Here we go again. Another team is taking a hard-line stance against a player who has done and said all of the right things while severely outplaying his contract. Thomas would stand to lose $1.1 million if he doesn't sign on the dotted line in the next five days.
Source: Jeff Duncan on Twitter

Re: Minnesota Vikings: "Purple Pride"

Why Brees have done the book “Coming Back Stronger” ? He said he writed a memoir that could help readers find ways to turn adversity into opportunities to improve themselves and their lives.Certainly the New Orleans Saints quarterback,Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees has experience with that.

In the book “Coming Back Stronger” which Brees writed,”I ask myself the question often: Could I have saved her?”the adversity question that Brees asked.Brees often asks himeself if there’s anything he could have done to prevent his mother from committing suicide.

Brees admit that he sitting at his laptop computer in his kitchen writing about his mother’s death could serve as therapy for him and advice for others during many late nights.

“I wanted to address it in a way that was very sensitive to my family, but also very truthful, hoping that if somebody else has gone through that, or not gotten over it, or is not sure how to handle a situation like that,”Brees said.I felt like it was very appropriate because I feel like so many people deal with that, be it the relationship with a parent or death of a loved one, whatever it might be.”

He realise that if it wasn’t for so many experiences in his life and lessons learned through adversity then he certainly wouldn’t be where I am now or have the opportunities that I had to get me to this point.

He is always going to find the positive out of the negative and I’m going to come back stronger,no matter what,it was very much a mentality of,as the New Orleans Saints has taken that philosophy.

So,there’s a quote come my mind “trees get stronger and rooted after suffering storm.

Re: Minnesota Vikings: "Purple Pride"

Why Brees have done the book “Coming Back Stronger” ? He said he writed a memoir that could help readers find ways to turn adversity into opportunities to improve themselves and their lives.Certainly the New Orleans Saints quarterback,Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees has experience with that.

So,there’s a quote come my mind “trees get stronger and rooted after suffering storm.
Last Saturday Drew came to my hometown and signed 1,800 copies of his book. Some people spent the night in the parking lot of Barnes and Noble in order to purchase his book and get it signed.

On Tuesday the Saints Championship Tour arrived and they brought the Lombardi trophy, a well guarded SB ring, some of the cheerleaders, the mascot and other memorabilia. Michael Lewis, former Saints receiver was there to autograph stuff and have pictures taken with fans.

Reggie Bush is doing well in training camp, hopefully he can be injury free this year. An undrafted rookie defensive end, Junior Galette is making a name for himself. He may find a place on the team if he continues to shine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Superdome (home of the 2013 SB), will be soon known as the Mercedes Benz Superdome after the Saints owner, Tom Benson, & his wife flew to Germany in the off-season to sought the luxury automaker as the naming rights for their stadium.

Great news for the state, which will not pay the team any more direct subsidies, instead receiving proceeds from the sale of naming rights.

This will the 23rd team with a Corporate naming rights deal.

Mercedes Benz Coup scoop.

Feel sorry for the Saints

Currently watching a replay of the weekend game. The Defence is turning predictable and the O-Line is falling apart. The Saints were just exposed for everything they are. Before they could rely on Graham getting open or passing it long to Colsten and Henderson. Now they just look like a .500 team. You're right JD, it should be Greg Willains last season as defensive co-ordinator. When everyone knows what his play calling is, you are no longer effective as a defensive co-ordinator.

Darren Sproles closing in on all-time record of his own

A week after Saints quarterback Drew Brees broke the single-season passing yardage record, one of his teammates may break a single-season yardage record of his own: Darren Sproles is within reach of the all-time record for all-purpose yards in a season.

The current record is held by Derrick Mason, who had a total of 2,690 yards in 2000, when he was a starting receiver and the primary kick returner for the Titans. With one game left this season, Sproles has 2,528 all-purpose yards, meaning if he has 163 all-purpose yards on Sunday (which would be a slightly below-average game for him this year), he’ll have the record.

Asked by the New Orleans Times-Picayune if he was thinking about the record, Sproles said he didn’t even know about it.

“That’d be cool, but it’s not on my mind,” Sproles said. “That’s not my main focus. My main focus is just to help this team win. And that’s all that’s on my mind when I go out there and play.”

Although he’s always been an all-purpose back, Sproles also said that he never patterned himself after the all-purpose yardage leaders and instead aspired to be an every-down back.

If the Saints feed him the ball constantly this Sunday, and get him to the record, shows they're all stat hunters.

Saints and their stat-padding ways :thumbsdown:

Saints quarterback Drew Brees wore an NFL Films microphone for Sunday’s regular-season finale, and the audio that was played on Inside the NFL this week showed that Brees spent much of the second half concerned about recognition for his teammates — but declining recognition for himself.

The Saints have been criticized in some quarters for continuing to play their top offensive players deep into their final two wins over the Falcons and the Panthers in an attempt to pad their stats, and there’s no question they were doing that late in the game against the Panthers. Brees, coach Sean Payton and others on the sideline were keenly aware of how much yardage Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles needed to break the records for receiving yards in a season by a tight end and for all-purpose yards in a season.

Backup quarterback Chase Daniel checked the stats and went to Brees on the sideline and said, “Jimmy’s like 25 away.” Brees then went to Graham and told him the route he wanted Graham to run to get him those 25 yards.

Later, Payton approached Brees and said, “Sproles is four yards shy of the all time–” and before Payton could finish, Brees said, “Get it to him. Get it to him.”

Payton then told Brees that he should hand off to Sproles on the first play of the next drive and then come out of the game, so that Brees could get one last ovation from the home fans as he trotted off the field. But Brees told Payton that if it was time to put Daniel in, he should do it immediately.

“Coach, you don’t need to do that,” Brees said.

Brees then went to Daniel and told him he’d go in to start the next possession.

“He wanted to pull me out after the first play so everybody could clap, but I told him that’s not necessary,” Brees told Daniel. “You’re up. It’s your show.”

Daniel then went in, and his first play was a handoff to Sproles for eight yards, earning the new all-purpose yardage record. Daniel also threw twice to Graham, who briefly held the tight end receiving yardage record, although he lost that record within minutes, as the Patriots also had their backup quarterback throwing late in the game, and New England’s Rob Gronkowski ended up taking the record from Graham.

Change is in the air in New Orleans. I guess with the Bountygate too, it's just destined to change at this moment.

The New Orleans Saints are a team without their leader on the field with quarterback Drew Brees unsigned, and a team without their leader on the sidelines with head coach Sean Payton suspended. And they may also be a team facing leadership questions at the highest levels of their front office.

Saints owner Tom Benson has often praised his 35-year-old granddaughter, Rita Benson LeBlanc, as the right person to lead the franchise for decades to come. But the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports, citing multiple unnamed sources, that LeBlanc is serving some form of unofficial paid administrative leave, imposed by Benson, because the man who has owned the Saints for 27 years is growing concerned with his granddaughter’s approach to business.

The report is short on specifics, saying only that Benson saw “a pattern of behavior that needed to be corrected” from his granddaughter. Among the issues raised are a “lack of focus and abrasive management style,” evidenced by, among other things, going through an estimated 30 assistants in her six years of working full-time with the team. She’s also reportedly “developed a reputation for stalling projects,” and Benson (who made his own money) is concerned that his granddaughter (who was born rich) has developed a sense of entitlement.

Benson, who will turn 85 in July, has said that he’ll eventually turn over control of his team to a family member, and despite these issues, it’s still widely believed that LeBlanc will be that family member. LeBlanc, who has the title of executive vice president, has been the only member of Benson’s family to take a hands-on, day-to-day role in the franchise, and she has been the subject of mostly favorable publicity for her role in helping the Saints and the city rebuild after Hurricane Katrina.

LeBlanc is expected to continue to play a major role with the Saints going forward. But her current leave from the team comes at a time when the franchise seems to have no stability at all, on the field or off.

Apparently, Sean Payton's contract has been voided, making him a Free Agent...​
Vitt, Loomis don’t envision Payton leaving the Saints

350x-515-e1352253829413.jpg

Suspended Saints coach Sean Payton “absolutely plans” to coach the team in 2013. The Saints absolutely expect to have him back.

Absolutely.

That’s the word of the moment in New Orleans, based on the comment provided by G.M. Mickey Loomis to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I absolutely expect Sean to be our coach next year and going forward,” Loomis said. “These contract issues will be resolved.”

Interim coach Joe Vitt was more colorful when he addressed on Tuesday the speculation that Payton could become a free agent.

“I don’t know the speculation you‘re all talking about,” Vitt said. “I really don’t. I said this before, and some of you think I am glued to the TV getting all of these updates, these accurate updates that come across the wire all the time. Everything we see I know is fact. I haven’t heard the report. I haven’t seen the report. I have only heard speculation of what the report is. I want to say this again so hopefully I am not asked about this question again. Our football team loves Sean Payton. Sean Payton loves this football team. Sean Payton loves this city and this city loves Sean Payton. That goes a long way. That’s what I know. I don’t understand anything about a contract being voided, who made the report, where did the report come from, is there accuracy in the report or are we just selling ratings.”

Of course, the comment from Loomis validates the notion that there’s a contract issue to be resolved. And the sooner it gets resolved, the better off the Saints will be.

--------------------

Payton’s contract might not be resolved quickly

yahoo_goodell_payton-e1332852755369.jpg

Given that the Saints have permission to finalize their contract extension with coach Sean Payton now and that no other team can talk to him until his suspension ends after the Super Bowl, Payton’s current employer has a huge advantage when it comes to the question of continuing his employment.

But that doesn’t mean they’ll wrap things up quickly.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that G.M. Mickey Loomis, whose suspension ended the moment the final gun sounded to cap Monday night’s win over the Eagles, won’t rush to get the deal done.

In theory, the approach makes sense. If the Saints are too anxious to get a deal done, Payton gets more leverage — and in turn more money. That said, Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com has reported that owner Tom Benson already plans to make Payton the highest-paid coach in the NFL.

If Loomis waits too long to iron things out, and if Payton inches closer to the open market, there could be a point where Payton decides to let the market determine his value. As we’ve previously explained, the fact that another team can’t even talk to Payton until February will make it much more difficult (and risky) for a team like the Cowboys or Eagles to wait for a crack at Payton.

It also raises the possibility of tampering and/or a violation of the terms of Payton’s suspension, via secret communications aimed at determining Payton’s terms and intentions well before February.

The team has an ace in the hole, if push comes to shove. As we explained the moment the story broke, any dispute regarding whether the final year of Payton’s contract carries over to 2013 given his suspension ultimately would be determined by Commissioner Roger Goodell. Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that neither the team nor Payton have filed a request for Goodell to resolve the issue. If that happens, Goodell will naturally be inclined to find in favor of the team, especially since the departure of Payton from New Orleans would result in even more criticism of the league office and Goodell specifically.

Ultimately, Payton could file a challenge in court to the arbitration decision, advancing the same arguments that the suspended players in the bounty case have articulated regarding Goodell’s alleged bias against Payton.

Until the situation is resolved via a new contract for Payton, Saints fans have every right to be nervous. That’s why it makes sense for the Saints to get this thing done sooner rather than later.

Clock keeps ticking on Sean Payton, Saints

yahoo_seanpayton_camera-e1353083210910.jpg

The Saints now have 12 weeks and two days to nail down a new contract with Saints coach Sean Payton before he potentially becomes a free agent.
(How ’bout them Cowboys?)

Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune has provided an update on the situation that could end up being misconstrued if not read carefully. Triplette’s item contains no hard news; otherwise, it wouldn’t have been subsumed within a broader collection of pre-weekend takes.

Indeed, Triplett’s item is analysis, not news. And that’s fine. But let’s not assume that Triplett’s potentially spot-on analysis is anything other than potentially spot-on analysis.

Triplett writes that Payton “probably won’t make an immediate decision on whether or not to sign a new contract with the Saints, since he’ll want to keep his options open.” Likewise, Triplette explains that “the Saints probably won’t push too forcefully for Payton to either sign a new deal or honor his previous agreement that was signed but rejected by the NFL,” and that “f Payton wanted to make a move for family reasons, the Saints likely wouldn’t want to force him to stay against his will.”

Triplett’s read on the situation mirrors Peter King’s explanation from the most recent Football Night in America. King explained that Payton’s divorce has turned contentious, that custody issues are emerging, and that Payton most likely won’t stray beyond the Dallas-New Orleans corridor.

It all adds up to a potential tug-o-war between the Saints and the Cowboys over Payton. While the Saints have dibs on doing a deal with Payton, Payton’s leverage won’t be maximized until we know whether the Cowboys job is open after the season ends, and whether the Saints feel compelled to overpay for Payton based on the outcome of a season without him.

Though fans surely want to see this one end sooner rather than later, the Saints have shown in the past a willingness to play things out, even if it hurts them in the long run. But if the Saints apply the same stubbornness they demonstrated during the Drew Brees negotiations, Payton potentially will have the viable Door No. 2 that Brees didn’t.

Payton’s leverage evaporates if the Cowboys make it to the playoffs. And so Saints fans may have divided loyalties when the two teams get together in Texas two days before Christmas: Cheer for the Saints and risk losing Payton permanently, or pull for the Cowpokes even if it means no postseason for the Saints in 2012.

Ronnie Lott still conflicted about New Orleans Saints bounty scandal

Ronnie Lott said it's been tough for him to see the New Orleans Saints' 2009 Super Bowl run tarnished by the bounty scandal. Lott was close to the team that year, serving as a motivational speaker on multiple occasions, and he even sat in on some defensive meetings leading up to the NFC championship game.

11875133-large.jpg

Lott said he never saw any bounty offers made or dirty tactics on or off the field. He has even signed affidavits to that effect on behalf of some of the accused players. And he said he always saw the Saints as a passionate group of champions playing "their hearts out" on the field.

At the same time, however, Lott made it clear that he would never condone the practice of placing bounties on opponents. Nor does he condone paying incentives for opponents' injuries - even via clean, legal hits - which many Saints have admitted to doing from 2009-2011.

"Personally, in my mind, that goes across the line," Lott said.

I reached out to Lott this week as the Saints prepared to head toward his home in the Bay Area for the first of two back-to-back matchups against two of his former teams, the Oakland Raiders and the San Francisco 49ers, because it's hard to imagine anyone having a better perspective on the bounty scandal.

Not only did he know the team intimately, but the Hall of Fame safety is also celebrated as one of the most ferocious hitters in the history of the NFL - so he understands that balance between violence and clean competition as well as anyone. And now Lott works with the league as a passionate advocate for player safety. He recently narrated a video that was sent to all 32 teams, helping to educate them on how they can still deliver punishing hits while playing within the rules.

But even with all of that wisdom, all of that experience and all of that first-hand knowledge of the Saints players and coaches, Lott is as conflicted as anyone else about how to judge them.

It's clear that this is a subject matter that Lott has thought about over the past few months - even though he hasn't come to any definitive conclusions.

"First of all, I'd start off by saying that being around that team that year and watching them play and watching their performance, it was an outstanding year for them and an outstanding performance. And they played their hearts out. So you look at it from that standpoint, and that's how I view it," said Lott, who was hooked up with the Saints through his friend Mike Ornstein, who was serving as a marketing consultant with the Saints.

It was Lott who provided the Saints with the "Smell Greatness" slogan that they wore on their T-shirts throughout the season.

"What was articulated about bounties and what happened, I didn't see any of it. And when I looked at the games I always thought they played with a certain passion and a certain will to be champions. So that's the things I witnessed and the things I enjoyed about that team," Lott said. "So to be characterized as they were, I think a lot of people had probably the wrong impression of the guys that played the game. And I think they had the wrong impression of how they went about it.

"But if the facts were the facts, and somebody says they have information ..."

Lott didn't finish that sentence. But when asked specifically how he feels about the part of the Saints' pay-for-performance program that's not in dispute - the "cart-off" hits that were credited when opponents left the field with injuries - Lott said that crossed the line in his mind.

And he offered a personal experience as an example.

11875144-small.jpg

"One of my close friends, Hoby Brenner, that played with the Saints, did I want to knock him out? No," Lott said. "Did I knock him out? Yes. Did I get any cookies from his wife after that like I did before? No.

"But that's a situation where I'm playing the game, clean hit, whatever. I'm playing football with a certain passion, a certain desire. But there's never been in my years that I've played a case of trying to maim or hurt. That's a huge difference."

Lott admitted that it's a fine line. He said violent hits have been encouraged and celebrated since long before he started playing. He talked about classic examples like Frank Gifford and Jack Tatum. And he said the rhetoric has always been over the top.

"This is where to me, some of this is hypocritical, because you get guys who get buttons on your helmet for making a big hit. You get guys that if you play special teams and made a big hit or made a tackle, you got something," Lott said. "Over the years, you're pointed out if you had a 'de-cleater,' people would call them. A pancake for an offensive lineman. And 'knocking a guy off the ball.' So it's common. And that's the one thing that's really for me - that dialogue has always been in football. ...

"You've seen this game. And I think some people have a very interesting way of watching anything. They could look at a game and say the intensity of the game is violent. Some people look at the game and say that's the way the game's been played all their lives. So I can't sit here and say the way they played is different."

That last thought is the one that has always been the most disturbing about the NFL's extreme punishments and extreme portrayal of the Saints' misconduct.

Despite the evidence against the Saints and the admissions they've made about their incentive program, there has never been any indication that they played the game on the field any different than any other team.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell never seemed to take that into account when doling out his discipline against the Saints. He never seemed to care whether the players actually went on the field with an intent to harm their opponents that was any different than the intent of every other defensive player in the league.

Someone like Lott, who got to know the players and watched them closely, didn't see players going on the field and endangering their opponents or tarnishing the reputation of the game he loves. And that's not something Lott would have taken lightly.

Lott would have been an ideal choice to hear the Saints' bounty appeals or to consult on the case from the start.

Maybe he would have come down hard on the Saints, too, for the line they crossed. But Lott would also appreciate the line that they didn't cross and where the line has existed in the first place for decades.

At least few could doubt that his heart was in the right place.

When discussing his role on the NFL's safety committee, Lott spoke passionately about the need to "take a stand" to make the game safer and better and avoiding the devastating consequences like the game may have had on players like Junior Seau.

"We're trying to do things that make the game sustainable and hopefully let young people continue to want to play the game. We're trying to create an environment where it's going to help people be healthier and safer," Lott said. "So for me, I hope to look back 20 years from now, and I hope my kids look and say, 'My dad was a champion on the field, but also was a champion trying to make the game safer and better.'"

Sean Payton agrees to multi-year contract with Saints

seanpaytons-zzyenmdvgm.jpg

Sean Payton will not be going anywhere after all.

Payton, the suspended Saints head coach whose future in New Orleans was in doubt because of questions about his contract, has agreed to a new multi-year contract extension, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports.

The NFL suspended Payton for the entire 2012 season after the league’s investigation into the Saints’ bounty program. During his suspension, word emerged that Payton’s contract had been voided by the league. There was widespread speculation that he could leave to coach elsewhere, but now that won’t be happening.

Instead, Payton will return in 2013 to the role he had from 2006 to 2011: Head coach of the New Orleans Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back