New posters, introduce yourselves here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think it's appropriate for my first post to tell you how I became a Hawthorn supporter.

My family moved from Sydney to Melbourne when I was about twelve. I had no idea what Aussie Rules was and had never watched it nor played it. I went to familiarise myself with our locality and ended up in the local shopping centre. There two gentleman were promoting the AFL and running a handball competition. I became curious due to the huge crowed around them. Then, seeing the great prizes on offer, I decided to enter the competition (a little competitive lol). I ended up coming second and won a jumper. So one of the promoters, when handing me the prize, asked me which team I supported. I looked at him with a blank face. He came closer and said, "which team do you support?". I replied "I don't know the names of any of the teams". So he whispered in my year, "just say you barrack for the Hawks" and so began my love of the Hawthorn Football Club and Aussie Rules. What I didn't realise at the time was; that man was Terry Wallace and he was wearing a Footscray Bulldogs jumper at the time. :)

Hi all,

I've joined this forum as I have a few questions about how the AFL is structured which I don't understand. Anyway a bit about myself first.

I'm from the UK and became interested in Aussie Rules in the late 1980s when there was a weekly highlights show on Saturday morning "Free to Air" TV. You could say that I was a bit of a glory hunter and adopted the Hawks as my team. This show stopped after a couple of years and my interest fell a bit. About 3 years ago I noticed that the AFL was shown on the UK satellite channels I received and I became hooked again. It was good to see the Hawks still flying. I obviously jumped on the right band wagon.

I know precisely no-one who is in the slightest bit interest in Aussie Rules other than a lady from work who is Australia obsessed. However all she knows is the Grand Final is a big thing and is in September.

That's it for now, but if someone could suggest the best thread to post my questions I would be grateful.

Thanks

Jason
@1ugarte30

This is basically, my experience with Aussie rules and the Hawks.
My earliest memories of the hawks is of the Rat bursting out the middle of the ground and kicking the ball to the chief on the lead and him sticking the ball between the sticks

This is basically, my experience with Aussie rules and the Hawks.
My earliest memories of the hawks is of the Rat bursting out the middle of the ground and kicking the ball to the chief on the lead and him sticking the ball between the sticks

How about his last ever kick in AFL? IIRC it was a huge torp for a goal.

hey guys massive hawks fan and nw to forum

have a quck question have purchases tickets to my first ever hawks game at the g (im from qld) for the geelong game on the 15th of august. I have got tickets in section p20 in the great southern stand. Just wanting to know is this a geelong area, hawthorn area or mixed? thank you
Is anyone able to answer this?

Hi guys, I'm Kristen and I have been a massive lifelong Hawks fan and a paid up member for 19 years (since those dark merger threat days). Could not be happier or prouder of our boys and really hope to see them threepeat this year. Here is a great meme as a welcome offering. Cheers and GO HAWKS!!! ☺

Attachments

• 11907146_10153090261671045_7649357113480959990_n.jpg
    11907146_10153090261671045_7649357113480959990_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi there! Thought I'd better post before we win our 3rd flag in a row or I might be seen as a bandwagoner! I was born in Hawthorn, but living now in Hong Kong. There's not much of an afl scene here unfortunately, though I think Port Adelaide has some association. Last couple of flags I've gone out celebrating but couldn't find any fellow fans.

I love everyone's contributions to bigfooty. Reading about the Hawks training sessions over summer is my only footy fix over the long months. Lethality's 20 and 3 debates in Bay 13 are awesome entertainment!

Before signing off, I wonder if anyone can advise - where can I get old grand final videos? I'm particularly keen to watch 71 from start to end as the bits I've seen looked unbelievably brutal. So far I can't find any sellers or internet sources.

Well so long for now fellow Hawks!

Hi there! Thought I'd better post before we win our 3rd flag in a row or I might be seen as a bandwagoner! I was born in Hawthorn, but living now in Hong Kong. There's not much of an afl scene here unfortunately, though I think Port Adelaide has some association. Last couple of flags I've gone out celebrating but couldn't find any fellow fans.

I love everyone's contributions to bigfooty. Reading about the Hawks training sessions over summer is my only footy fix over the long months. Lethality's 20 and 3 debates in Bay 13 are awesome entertainment!

Before signing off, I wonder if anyone can advise - where can I get old grand final videos? I'm particularly keen to watch 71 from start to end as the bits I've seen looked unbelievably brutal. So far I can't find any sellers or internet sources.

Welcome S Lawrence :)

You should be able to get the DVDs for the Hawks premierships from many places online, here is the 1971 one at Booktopia for only $10.50

http://www.booktopia.com.au/afl-pre...l?source=pla&gclid=CPjz0ZHz38cCFRMHvAod0m0KkA

HawksNest will have most of them too.

https://hawksnestonline.com.au/accessories/accessories-gift/giftwares-dvd-audio

Hi Guys and Girls,

As usual long time reader first time poster.
Living in Busselton WA, about 2 1/2 hours south of Perth. Supported the Hawkers since I was 6, now 45. Favourite has to be one D Brereton, and yes I was there when Worsfold cleaned him up on the boundary line. Can't wait any longer, jumping in the car now to head to Subi for tonight's game. For those that are interested it has been absolutely bucketing down here in Busso, normally Perth gets our weather some 6 to 12 hours later. Bring your rain jackets.

Go Hawkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys and Girls,

As usual long time reader first time poster.
Living in Busselton WA, about 2 1/2 hours south of Perth. Supported the Hawkers since I was 6, now 45. Favourite has to be one D Brereton, and yes I was there when Worsfold cleaned him up on the boundary line. Can't wait any longer, jumping in the car now to head to Subi for tonight's game. For those that are interested it has been absolutely bucketing down here in Busso, normally Perth gets our weather some 6 to 12 hours later. Bring your rain jackets.

Go Hawkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
welcome along, hope your drive home post game is a happy one ;) (great part of the the world BTW)

Bonjour!

I'm a hawk fan, grew up in Melbourne but now living in France for 7 years. Very keen to chat about our prospects for the upcoming match against the almighty Fremantles.

Go Hawks
I remember going to the Maccas near the Charles De Gaulle Train Station (not the closest but just down the road near the hostels) to get free WiFi in April 2012 so I could listen to the Hawks Geelong Easter Monday clash, only to have my heart broken with Geelong coming from almost 30 behind to win by 2 in the last quarter. I haven't been back since lol.

On a serious note, welcome mate!

I remember going to the Maccas near the Charles De Gaulle Train Station (not the closest but just down the road near the hostels) to get free WiFi in April 2012 so I could listen to the Hawks Geelong Easter Monday clash, only to have my heart broken with Geelong coming from almost 30 behind to win by 2 in the last quarter. I haven't been back since lol.

On a serious note, welcome mate!
Thanks bud! I've certainly watched and listened to many a game in many a european maccas over the journey =]

Hi people,

New to the forum. Die hard Hawks fan all my life! Been a long time reader but finally signed up.

The main reason I signed up was to find some fellow hawks supporters in Phuket. Im on holiday for a wedding this weekend and I don't wanna be stuck in a bar with a bunch of Freo supporters this friday night.

Shame I can't start a new thread. :(

Hi guys very long time reader and have joined up to mainly try and snag a GF ticket but thought I would also pass on how I became to be a Hawthorn supporter.

My old man started supporting Hawthorn in 1969 at the age of six being a young bloke from Tassie, he fell in love with the man wearing the number 26, Peter Hudson. Obviously being born in 1963 he has certainly backed the right horse seeing a lazy 11 flags! When I was born i never really had much choice, it was hawthorn or nothing and I certainly also count myself incredibly fortunate to support our great club. Although I had to wait until I was 15 to see us win a flag and there were some lean times before then what has been since had surpassed anything I could've hoped for.

10347549_10202999575369729_2606236201750692564_n.jpg

Lucky to have been from Tassie and only 8 when the Tassie connection started in 2001 (i've at least watched us play one live game a season since the year 2000), lucky to have followed the Hodge, Mitchell, Rough, Lewis, Buddy, Birch, Junior core all the way through to us winning flags and lucky enough to have seen since moving to Melbourne for study in 2013 possibly the greatest 3 season period in the history of the club, which will hopefully be confirmed at 5pm Saturday afternoon.

Thought I would share with you my top 5 Hawthorn memories

- 2013 AFL grand final to be at the game with my old man and for him to finally see a live flag win after 3 losing GFs in 1984, 1985 and 2012
1238921_10200636161245853_1326229714_n.jpg
- 2013 prelim is the best live game of football ive ever been to, for us to finally beat those handbagger pricks after being 4 goals down in the last quarter and to be fully in tears embracing blokes ive never met as the siren went

- 2008 the first one, to be such rank underdogs and beat Geelong
IMG_0781-1.JPG

- My first game at the MCG in 2000 at age 6, we beat the dogs by about 3 goals, was Anthony Rock's 250th and Thommo kicked 6

- 2001 semi V port just remembering how unbelievably excited I was that we were in a preliminary final

Honourable mentions to last year's absolute clinic V sydney and the 2007 elimination against Adelaide.

Thanks for reading and lets reach immortal status this week with the three peat!!! Go the mighty hawkers

Hi guys very long time reader and have joined up to mainly try and snag a GF ticket but thought I would also pass on how I became to be a Hawthorn supporter.

My old man started supporting Hawthorn in 1969 at the age of six being a young bloke from Tassie, he fell in love with the man wearing the number 26, Peter Hudson. Obviously being born in 1963 he has certainly backed the right horse seeing a lazy 11 flags! When I was born i never really had much choice, it was hawthorn or nothing and I certainly also count myself incredibly fortunate to support our great club. Although I had to wait until I was 15 to see us win a flag and there were some lean times before then what has been since had surpassed anything I could've hoped for.

View attachment 179097

Lucky to have been from Tassie and only 8 when the Tassie connection started in 2001 (i've at least watched us play one live game a season since the year 2000), lucky to have followed the Hodge, Mitchell, Rough, Lewis, Buddy, Birch, Junior core all the way through to us winning flags and lucky enough to have seen since moving to Melbourne for study in 2013 possibly the greatest 3 season period in the history of the club, which will hopefully be confirmed at 5pm Saturday afternoon.

Thought I would share with you my top 5 Hawthorn memories

- 2013 AFL grand final to be at the game with my old man and for him to finally see a live flag win after 3 losing GFs in 1984, 1985 and 2012
View attachment 179095
- 2013 prelim is the best live game of football ive ever been to, for us to finally beat those handbagger pricks after being 4 goals down in the last quarter and to be fully in tears embracing blokes ive never met as the siren went

- 2008 the first one, to be such rank underdogs and beat Geelong
View attachment 179099

- My first game at the MCG in 2000 at age 6, we beat the dogs by about 3 goals, was Anthony Rock's 250th and Thommo kicked 6

- 2001 semi V port just remembering how unbelievably excited I was that we were in a preliminary final

Honourable mentions to last year's absolute clinic V sydney and the 2007 elimination against Adelaide.

Thanks for reading and lets reach immortal status this week with the three peat!!! Go the mighty hawkers
Best intro ever! Welcome mate.

Hi All, new to the boards but a Hawk for nearly 40 years.

Let's hope we win the flag and create Hawk History with the three-peat, another mauling like last years GF would do me just fine.

Along with all the other Hawthorn supporters :- ))

Been reading BF for about a decade but never bothered to sign up.

Sat in the Ponsford stand on Saturday witnessing history unfold :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back