Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
New proposal for AFL games in Ballarat
April 7, 2014 - 8:14PM

1396865631595.jpg-620x349.jpg

An artist's impression of the development of Ballarat's showgrounds.
A new multimillion-dollar proposal to redevelop North Ballarat’s showgrounds precinct has rekindled the prospect of AFL games at Eureka Stadium.
As the state opposition planned on Tuesday to unveil the $20 million-$30 million scheme around the stadium once mooted as a second home for North Melbourne and Cricket Victoria,it has emerged that the AFL has also earmarked Victoria’s western corridor as holding a pivotal place in its game development, potentially involving the Western Bulldogs, who remain without a second home-fixture stronghold.
While the Kangaroos on Monday night reaffirmed their interest in playing home-and-away games at Eureka Stadium, it is understood there has also been a push for the Western Bulldogs to target Ballarat and its surrounds as part of that club's efforts to extend its boundaries.
Both North and the Bulldogs continue to struggle to make a profit with their stadium deals at Etihad.
St Kilda, another struggling Etihad tenant, has turned to New Zealand as a home venue.
Victorian Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews is expected on Tuesday to unveil his Eureka Stadium proposal in one of Victoria’s most marginal seats as part of Labor’s campaign to win back government in the November state election.
Former premier John Brumby joined forces with North Melbourne in 2010 when he announced a proposed redevelopment of the precinct, but that plan was abandoned when Labor lost the election.
The Kangaroos had looked at playing four games annually at a redeveloped Eureka, but the club is now also committed to two home-and-away games each year at Hobart’s Blundstone Arena.
That deal finishes at the end of 2014, but North boss Carl Dilena said the club expected to open negotiations soon with the Tasmanian government, adding: “We’re still supportive of the concept of playing football in North Ballarat.”
The Kangaroos drew 7800 people to its 2014 NAB Challenge clash against Carlton at the stadium in February.
The biggest AFL attendance at the ground was in a 2012 pre-season game between North and the Bulldogs.
After Ted Baillieu’s government rejected the development, the City of Ballarat, the stadium’s owner, formed a committee in a bid to keep the prospect of a redeveloped community sporting precinct at the showgrounds alive, involving key stakeholders representing Australian football, netball, basketball and cricket.
It has been estimated that a total of $80 million would be required to develop the precinct and transform Eureka Stadium into an AFL venue with a 15,000-spectator capacity.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2yCXqPFxK

I'm happy with anything that brings footy to Ballarat, but the stadium as it is now needs a lot of work.

Anything is better than getting robbed by Etihad every year!

Agreed, and I would put Eureka above Simonds as well (assuming they provided similar levels of revenue, which isn't a given) as it can actually be considered part of our supporter area. Though most fans will still need to travel a significant distance to get to games, it means we can continue the push of "Our Heartland" and have regular games within the actual "West", leading to more supporters in the growth corridor.

Hey - sure beats Darwin!

Disclaimer: HiReception lives in Bacchus Marsh :p

Wouldn't mind playing 1 or 2 home games there but no more than that I feel. It would especially affect Dogs supporters who live way on the other side of city. I would like us still mostly to play at Etihad (with a better stadium deal hopefully). I think we need to mostly be playing in a central location and that's near the city which ultimately suits everyone the best I think.

I'm happy with anything that brings footy to Ballarat, but the stadium as it is now needs a lot of work.

Yes, at the present it is an open, wind-swept, soulless place with poor public transport. A lot of money will be needed to make it hospitable.

Let's cut to the chase and develop Whitten Oval into a boutique stadium, for our use when we play all the interstate teams and.......... Norf and the occasional game v Essendon just to p15s them off. It would be members only.

There would be some standing areas back to basics grass roots supporting, some more seating would be required and decent top end corporate boxes/seating but otherwise it shouldn't cost much. Get it done for $20 mil. Make $200,000 net per game 5 games a year, debt paid off within 20 years. Get some private equity involved, some housing development on the perimeter. We could invite Norf to use it to improve revenue. Pay it off even sooner.

That way we don't need to head out to the boonies to make a buck.

Let's cut to the chase and develop Whitten Oval into a boutique stadium, ...

That way we don't need to head out to the boonies to make a buck.
But the boonies might be where we aim to grow our membership. It'd be great to have half of Ballarat supporting the Dogs - well, even a quarter of them would be good.

I'm not seeing a roof on that proposal and as somebody that lives close enough to Ballarat, the idea of standing in the outer in the dead of Winter during at typically sleety Ballarat afternoon, fills me with horror.

But the boonies might be where we aim to grow our membership. It'd be great to have half of Ballarat supporting the Dogs - well, even a quarter of them would be good.

There are lots of Dogs supporters in Ballarat already, and that will increase if we were to play there.

I live in West Gippsland, but we would be okay with a couple of games a year. We'd probably stay in town for the weekend, or at my brother's place in Melton.

Also, I'd expect we'd make more money from a crowd of 12,000 than we ever do at Etihad.

Disclaimer: our kids have moved out, we have 2 incomes and friends/family in Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh and Melton. Easy for us, I acknowledge that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would make sense, Ballarat is only 50 minutes from Melbourne CBD and the ground is located just off the highway. Understand it might not suit some supporters but a majority of our supporters would live west of the city. There is a decent presence of Dogs supporters in Bacchus Marsh, Melton, Ballarat, and places like Hamilton and Horsham.

Experience from growing up near Ararat that it will be bloody cold though haha!

We would lose more in the way of followers, than we might save in dollars outlaid. It's a bomb of an idea.

Having moved out to Ballan (about 35km from Ballarat) I wouldn't mind being able to watch games there, but I echo the sentiments of others who know just how cold it can get in the middle of winter around here - that place needs a roof ..... and central heating!!!

The plus side would be that playing interstaters there - in particular the oh so tanned WA and QLD sides - should virtually guarantee us a victory and maybe even a forfeit as they refuse to leave the change rooms for fear of frostbite.

BTW - have noticed fairly strong support for the Dogs up this way since moving here.

Having moved out to Ballan (about 35km from Ballarat) I wouldn't mind being able to watch games there, but I echo the sentiments of others who know just how cold it can get in the middle of winter around here - that place needs a roof ..... and central heating!!!

The plus side would be that playing interstaters there - in particular the oh so tanned WA and QLD sides - should virtually guarantee us a victory and maybe even a forfeit as they refuse to leave the change rooms for fear of frostbite.

BTW - have noticed fairly strong support for the Dogs up this way since moving here.

Local support is fine, but what about the rest of us, that already have a journey just to get to Dockland as is? Tack a long trip to Ballarat on top of that, just to have to compete with penguins and polar bears for space in the outer, with not a seat to be found, prior to a day trip home, while trying to defrost our soaked and frozen clothing, rather than having enjoyed an all be it too expensive cold pie and soggy chips under the roof at Docklands, and what do you have ? Some seriously disgruntled fans who decide Fox, rather than attendance might just be preferable option.
Then who gets the $'s ? The AF-bl**dy L, rather than the Club.

Forget it !!!!

Local support is fine, but what about the rest of us, that already have a journey just to get to Dockland as is? Tack a long trip to Ballarat on top of that, just to have to compete with penguins and polar bears for space in the outer, with not a seat to be found, prior to a day trip home, while trying to defrost our soaked and frozen clothing, rather than having enjoyed an all be it too expensive cold pie and soggy chips under the roof at Docklands, and what do you have ? Some seriously disgruntled fans who decide Fox, rather than attendance might just be preferable option.

Forget it !!!!
Ultimately we need to get a better stadium deal at Etihad. I also would like us to play 1 or 2 home games at the MCG in future years against big Victorian clubs but somehow I don't see it happening. I'm aware your in Gippsland so it must be hard for you travelling most weeks to see the Dogs. Are you going to the Sunday twilight match next week.

Bah, I don't want to drive to the end of the earth just to watch my team, which is based in Melbourne's west for a reason.
Melbourne clubs shouldn't have to sell their matches to the footy starved third world just to make a profit on a home game.

As far as I'm concerned, we play at Etihad or we play in Footscray/surrounding suburbs. Don't undermine our own brand and our own existence by determining that we need a 'second stronghold', because that's rubbish. Well-managed clubs with a sizable heartland don't need a second home just to drag the finances across the line.

Forget it !!!!

Even though I live up this way, I generally agree with you. In an ideal world we would split games between Etihad and VUWO.

However not being in an ideal world, I would prefer Ballarat to either Canberra or Darwin - give many more Dog supporters a chance to show up while still building our brand in a "new market" (although I think most in Ballarat already have a chosen team). New supporters generated in that area might actually show up to our other home games too, rather than the ones we pick up in Canberra or Darwin.

Even though I live up this way, I generally agree with you. In an ideal world we would split games between Etihad and VUWO.

However not being in an ideal world, I would prefer Ballarat to either Canberra or Darwin - give many more Dog supporters a chance to show up while still building our brand in a "new market" (although I think most in Ballarat already have a chosen team). New supporters generated in that area might actually show up to our other home games too, rather than the ones we pick up in Canberra or Darwin.
This is where my annoyance wanes a little bit - I'd rather sell 3 games a year to Ballarat than 1 to Darwin, Cairns or Canberra.

Ultimately we need to get a better stadium deal at Etihad. I also would like us to play 1 or 2 home games at the MCG in future years against big Victorian clubs but somehow I don't see it happening. I'm aware your in Gippsland so it must be hard for you travelling most weeks to see the Dogs. Are you going to the Sunday twilight match next week.

I sure hope so Easty, I usually do. Also off to Willy to watch Footscray in a few minutes.
Rather play home games at the 'G' rather than interstate, but I know I am a bit Robinson Crusoe here, but personally
I am not a huge fan of the 'grand old ground', and prefer watching us play at Docklands.
WO would be great, but sadly can't see that happening due to parking and road access...more's he pity.

This is where my annoyance wanes a little bit - I'd rather sell 3 games a year to Ballarat than 1 to Darwin, Cairns or Canberra.

Agree if we had the opportunity i wouldnt mind as long as you could easily get in and out and get parking as a majority of supporters would drive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems to be a good idea if you live on the western side of Melbourne, not so much if you don't. Big surprise no reasonable discussion just what is better for the individual supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back