New report calls for radical welfare overhaul

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of Australians believe the report by Triggs is not partisan and there is NO CONCRETE EVIDENCE to suggest as such. The only people who are suggesting that report is partisan have no right to that opinion (and that is all that is...an opinion).
Pazza only rusted on lefties

99% of Australians believe the report by Triggs is not partisan and there is NO CONCRETE EVIDENCE to suggest as such. The only people who are suggesting that report is partisan have no right to that opinion (and that is all that is...an opinion).
Not even the putative PM considers it partisan judging by his comments today.

Kudos to Triggs for standing her ground and making Brandis become a further figure of fun. I imagine taking the line of least resistance and walking would have been attractive to her thereby allowing Brandis to instal the puppet he so dearly yearned for.

Not even the putative PM considers it partisan judging by his comments today.

Kudos to Triggs for standing her ground and making Brandis become a further figure of fun. I imagine taking the line of least resistance and walking would have been attractive to her thereby allowing Brandis to instal the puppet he so dearly yearned for.

Yeah i noticed that today. The boots in mouth wizard was dragged kicking and screaming in Question Time.

Well then...

Why has Malcolm Turnbull come to the defence of Triggs and the report?

Why has the Government's attitude to Triggs and the report received widespread condemnation, from people of all political persuasions? From many in the media?

As I said rusted on lefties and the heroes of the left

When has Mal done anything that doesn't benefit Mal

That's a funny percentile.

Don't agree with 22 year old cut offs. If you're an adult, you should get treated as such.
Agreed.

Some at least need the money directly given to them as some have no option other than to live away from home for studying and job hunting purposes, and some parents can't be trusted with the money.

Now who is the real BIG.GOV?

Wonder when they will actually tackle the fat cats. Like those getting massive subsidies through negative gearing. Like those avoiding tax through Family Trusts - which should be taxed as companies. Like those who pass on massive fortunes due to there being no inheritance tax. Like companies who shift income overseas to avoid tax. Like the massive subsidies paid to mining companies. Like those using the Super for tax minimisation. et al
You do know that the real rich don't put money into Super. They have their money locked up in company holdings, family trusts, and other tax effective ways of shielding their wealth from the government. The only ones that will be affected by changes to super are the working class and the Middle class. These people always pay the most taxes.

You do know that the real rich don't put money into Super. They have their money locked up in company holdings, family trusts, and other tax effective ways of shielding their wealth from the government. The only ones that will be affected by changes to super are the working class and the Middle class. These people always pay the most taxes.
Family Trusts are a neat evasion too. As are a multiplicity of other schemes. One of which is personal super. If you don't reckon the mega rich use them too in certain circumstances then you either don't have a good accountant or he's pulling the wool over your eyes.;)

Why would you criticise the lower tax rate on super? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there already an issue of too many people relying on a pension because their super wasn't big enough?

I would have thought that saving for retirement would be encouraged. It would duly benefit the retiree and not weigh down the govt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you criticise the lower tax rate on super? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there already an issue of too many people relying on a pension because their super wasn't big enough?

I would have thought that saving for retirement would be encouraged. It would duly benefit the retiree and not weigh down the govt.

That was the intention in theory, and it's a worthy goal.

But in practice, and the figures are in, it is predominantly only high wealth individuals that take advantage of it to build their own personal super savings, but they aren't the ones going to qualify for an aged pension anyway. I don't have any links quickly to hand, but I heard some economist chap on the radio last week saying that the taxation forgone on super tax concessions is almost as great as what we spend on the aged pensions, for no net benefit because those people aren't eligible for pensions anyway, and those that are can't take advantage of it.

Rule 5. Starting Threads/Posting

5a. When starting a thread be sure that your opening post contains some form of discussion to start your argument off. Simply posting nothing more than "Discuss", "Thoughts", or quoting a slab of quotes will see the thread removed. Remember, threads are closed or moved based on the overall quality of their content. That content begins with (and often continues to be determined by) the quality of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back