332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
I reckon we need a new role for mayne for 2016 onwards... Accuracy has deserted him and makes him a liability up FWd

I reckon he could become the next Josh Gibson (hawks) if given an opportunity in defence... Has done it for patches and didn't look out of place, reckon its time they give someone else his role up FWD...thoughts???

(Ps Gibson is 1cm taller and a few KGs heavier)

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I reckon we need a new role for mayne for 2016 onwards... Accuracy has deserted him and makes him a liability up FWd

I reckon he could become the next Josh Gibson (hawks) if given an opportunity in defence... Has done it for patches and didn't look out of place, reckon its time they give someone else his role up FWD...thoughts???

(Ps Gibson is 1cm taller and a few KGs heavier)
Actually all for this. Croizer deserves to take his spot as he is a lethal kick and plays more of a mobile forward. Just needs to bulk up at few more kilos. Just too good playing him under Ballas role and goes quiet alot.
The thing is with Gibson is he plays versatile as well as having the mobility around the ground. Whereas Mayne is very much one direction type player- not quick off a few steps and turning quickly. That hinders him down back. Could very much change having a pre-season down back and has good read of the ball (really important for spoiling - again Gibson excel at).

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he lacks the composure and skill level to be effective in a Gibson type role. We've already got Dawson down in defence that can't dispose of the ball, Jonno is generally great but is good for at least one howler per game, AP's disposal isn't bad but a long way from elite, same for Sutty and Ibbo and Ibbo takes too long to work out what he's going to do when he get the ball. Spurr and Shero are good without being great. Adding Mayne to the mix doesn't help IMO.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I just don't see him working in defence. He's been barely acceptable when down there (for all of 20 minutes) in the past. He doesn't read the ball like Johnno or Ibbo and I agree that while he is quick in a straight line he isn't the answer as a mobile 3rd tall down back.

Let alone his kicking, when I see one of our major issues going forward being lack of good kicks in defence.

I really don't see anything wrong with his current role, he just needs to be the 3rd tall consistently not the 2nd tall. We say his accuracy has deserted him, but in a year where he clearly mentally stuffed his set shot approach he still kicked 28.17 (plus maybe 6-7 OOF or didn't make 40m shots), that's around average.

If you move him down back you're making our forward line ever smaller. Crozier is 181cm and IMO is really an outside mid. Who else do you put there in that medium forward role? There's literally no one else on the list.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we land Bennell and McCarthy, Mayne's new role will be at Peel

I know this thread is about Mayne but imagine if we landed McCarthy you could potentially put Taberner or Apeness in Mayne's spot and all of a sudden our forward line looks deadly if Pav kicks on for another year.

I'm not too sure where I have Mayne next year tbh but I imagine it may stay the same if we don't land a KPF.

calaisking

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harsh but probably right.

It is harsh. Mayne was solid a few years ago but the last two seasons he has struggled. You can't carry players in your forward line that can't kick goals so if there's another option, we have to use it.

He is still a defensive menace in our forward line but Walters and Ballantyne can pick up Mayne's slack if he's not there.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Even if we get another KPF AND Pav stays, I don't see how you can jettison the guy who kicked the 3rd most goals for us this year, even with his set shot issues - which are potentially fixable.

We need more goals. Mayne, for all his issues, still kicks more goals than most.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Even if we get another KPF AND Pav stays, I don't see how you can jettison the guy who kicked the 3rd most goals for us this year, even with his set shot issues - which are potentially fixable.

We need more goals. Mayne, for all his issues, still kicks more goals than most.
What is he game time goal ratio compare to other.

benfica

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2011
woodgreen
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tottenham

jeez you in love with mayne or somthing really the guy needs to go.he single handedly lost us two games this yr because of his poor kicking(NORTH and THE HAWKS)

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
If we stop playing the resting ruck up forward and stop bombing it on their heads; and instead looked for mobile leading targets with a precise kick inside 50....

... this might actuslly play to Mayne's strong suit.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Love the guy, and he was great a couple of years back. But going on 2014 & 15 form, he's replaceable. Without even trading in new blood, he's replaceable with guys in the squad. I'm surprised he made it through the season, and I actually hope Crozier gets his spot next year.

We have too much defensive talent and depth to put Mayne back there just to keep him on the ground. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon we need a new role for mayne for 2016 onwards... Accuracy has deserted him and makes him a liability up FWD
I reckon we need to return Mayne to his old role, not the one he's been forced into this last season or two.
You know, that old third forward role he did so well in. Before he was forced to be a target because we had no one else.

I also reckon you're a pack of soulless hyenas.
Beginning to think all of our woes these last two seasons have simply been karma - coming for you all.
Well, I'd be thinking that if I was a spiritual man, anyway.
Sad to think even Essendon has supporters better than ours.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we stop playing the resting ruck up forward and stop bombing it on their heads; and instead looked for mobile leading targets with a precise kick inside 50....

... this might actuslly play to Mayne's strong suit.

Mayne's only strength is contested marking.
He all but destroyed my confidence in him with the miss from 25 metres in the North game before completely destroying all confidence with the PF miss. ..... hell, even Belly would have got them from 25 & 35 out.

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
I just don't see him working in defence. He's been barely acceptable when down there (for all of 20 minutes) in the past. He doesn't read the ball like Johnno or Ibbo and I agree that while he is quick in a straight line he isn't the answer as a mobile 3rd tall down back.

Let alone his kicking, when I see one of our major issues going forward being lack of good kicks in defence.

I really don't see anything wrong with his current role, he just needs to be the 3rd tall consistently not the 2nd tall. We say his accuracy has deserted him, but in a year where he clearly mentally stuffed his set shot approach he still kicked 28.17 (plus maybe 6-7 OOF or didn't make 40m shots), that's around average.

If you move him down back you're making our forward line ever smaller. Crozier is 181cm and IMO is really an outside mid. Who else do you put there in that medium forward role? There's literally no one else on the list.
Freo website has Croz as 185cm - I saw him outside subi before the 1st final and he certainly looks to be round 185-188...

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anybody know Chris Mayne's contract situation? Could he be traded even if the club wanted to trade him. Probably obvious answers but I'm a bit naive to all this.

Back