New Senior Assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry chaps, i wasn't suggesting someone to come in over the top of McCartney, or even a Craig, Eade, Harvey type arrangement.

I'm more after a Leon cameron to our rocket eade. When I mentioned Eade earlier, it was a reference to his outstanding tactical coaching, not his seniority. Which I why I threw up someone like Bolton. McCartney is the boss. His word is law. But I really think he needs better quality help on tactics, match ups, opposition analysis and overall game style.

Mutt, dannnnnn, do you guys think this stuff needs addressing or do you think we have enough footy intel in-house already?

Sorry chaps, i wasn't suggesting someone to come in over the top of McCartney, or even a Craig, Eade, Harvey type arrangement.

I'm more after a Leon cameron to our rocket eade. When I mentioned Eade earlier, it was a reference to his outstanding tactical coaching, not his seniority. Which I why I threw up someone like Bolton. McCartney is the boss. His word is law. But I really think he needs better quality help on tactics, match ups, opposition analysis and overall game style.

Mutt, dannnnnn, do you guys think this stuff needs addressing or do you think we have enough footy intel in-house already?

I think it is very, very hard for us to judge too much from afar. We need to improve on some aspects of our play that are very obvious - such as kick-ins and our forwards not holding their positioning consistently. I'd suggest that may be a result of Assistants not getting the job done - but I might be wrong about that.

Sometimes I think performance assessment involves taking a leap of faith and not jumping to conclusions with insufficient data. I don't feel qualified to make the assessments you are looking for Fronk.

McCartney has a strategy which we all understand but which he is executing in very trying circumstances (compromised drafts, compromised draws etc. etc.) The club has vastly increased the footy department spend and we now have more assistants than ever. I'm in favour of giving McCartney and the club enough rope to either hang themselves, or build a ladder to sustainable success.

To be honest I just don't think we can accurately judge the performances of the assistant coaches, it's really bloody tough to tell from the outside where one assistant's job ends and another begins if you catch my drift. It's moreso Macca needing to build a team he's comfortable with and compatible with - even if it does lead to the "yes man" tag. While we do need some differing views and somebody to play devil's advocate time to time, our coaching panel needs to flow and needs to be able to mesh well with each other. There's no use going out and grabbing somebody to modify our game style, because a) that's the coach's job, and b) it will never work if two people on the coaching staff have radically different ideas. I've got no issue with us bringing in a highly-rated assistant or anything, but at the end of the day it's moreso about building a panel that works well with McCartney; not so much trying to find somebody to modify our 'identity,' if you will.

That said though, definitely a topic worth discussing - I just personally don't believe you can really judge the assistants from the outside.

If we did go down this path all I'd ask is that it wasn't another member of the Geelong alumni. I don't dispute the playing credentials of the existing guys, but it seems to me that the majority of our coaching and game plan eggs are in the one basket, which somewhat limits the coaching groups ability to adapt to the changing game.

Even if a lot of these Geelong guys are only part-time coaching staff, I don't know why you wouldn't seek to have coaches with a more varied experience under different successful coaching regimes?

The problem with this line of thought is that if the senior coach lacks good judgement in these areas, will he actually recognise good advice when he hears it?

Good advice is useless if it falls on deaf ears.

The problem with this line of thought is that if the senior coach lacks good judgement in these areas, will he actually recognise good advice when he hears it?

Good advice is useless if it falls on deaf ears.
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here.

That having an experienced and tactically astute assistant suddenly defeats the purpose of having McCartney on the panel because he doesn't have the ability to pick up on good advice? That McCartney's arrogant enough to disregard the input of a member of his coaching panel?

I don't think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer somebody with match-day and tactical coaching, which is where our current coaching panel struggle the most.
Adding a senior assistant for the sake of development is pointless, we already have our existing development team for that.

Get Mark Neeld. He's an idiot as a developer but tactics wise he's very good. I've heard from a lot of a few reasonable sources that he's as good as anyone as a tactical assistant and this is evident through his work at Collingwood.

Would be keen on getting Lingy around the joint in some capacity. Seems to already have as good as an understanding of our list as anybody (with his media work). I love the way he talks about the game and I reckon he'd work a treat under Macca as a midfield coach.

Get Mark Neeld. He's an idiot as a developer but tactics wise he's very good. I've heard from a lot of a few reasonable sources that he's as good as anyone as a tactical assistant and this is evident through his work at Collingwood.

Would be keen on getting Lingy around the joint in some capacity. Seems to already have as good as an understanding of our list as anybody (with his media work). I love the way he talks about the game and I reckon he'd work a treat under Macca as a midfield coach.
Neeld's only problem was man management, really. He inherited a train wreck and his 'my way or the highway' attitude just pissed players off - although there seemed to be a bit of a culture of entitlement among a playing group that hadn't achieved anything, individually or collectively. Wouldn't be against picking him up at all. Would be funny, after he was appointed at the same time as McCartney.

Think we're as good a chance as anyone to get Ling considering so many of his mates are at the Dogs, might set the facebook critics into a frenzy though. Could even step into the senior job if he's around for long enough.

Good, we can get him onto our coaching panel for tactical reasons and OUT of my club's (Eastern Ranges) development area :p

I'm not venturing into the McCartney thread. Kill this thread if you need to igloo, but merge it and I'm out.

I really, really, really (really) think we need a senior assistant for 2015, that can help improve:

- overall game style
- game day tactics
- selection
- match-ups
- kick ins/outs

Eade in his prime is the perfect example of what I'm after. A modern thinking tactical coach. Anyone got any suggestions at all??

sorry Fronk, I cant agree that Eade is the example we need for this sort of senior assistant.. His game day tactics and matchups failed to get us across the line on a number of occasions.

although I agree with the idea, who.. hmmm.. If Pagan was still around he'd be a fair choice IMO.. Pagan's paddock? but he was a very good coach at Norf setting aside his short tenure at Carlton who were actively tanking at the time.

sorry Fronk, I cant agree that Eade is the example we need for this sort of senior assistant.. His game day tactics and matchups failed to get us across the line on a number of occasions.

although I agree with the idea, who.. hmmm.. If Pagan was still around he'd be a fair choice IMO.. Pagan's paddock? but he was a very good coach at Norf setting aside his short tenure at Carlton who were actively tanking at the time.
I actually thought Eade's tactics vs St Kilda gave us a real shot in those prelims. The piano accordian style (backwards to draw their press further up the ground and then forwards) was new and shook Ross Lyon I reckon.

Did anyone hear Dean Cox speak today I would love him at the dogs it is so obvious we lacking a skilled KPP assistant coach

we already have our existing development team for that
I hope those coaches looking after our KPP players arent getting paid alot we have gone backwards in that area so much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back