New South Wales Thread 2012-13

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it's time for a new thread, a new start...

The squad's been released, kinda. It's very fitting that a) we don't bother releasing the squad the same week everyone else does and b) foxsports are the guys who release it. So this isn't 100% confirmed. It's a pretty boring squad, in that everyone who has been given a full contract has already played for NSW, and the two new rookies have been regulars in the junior aus squads for awhile now. And Doran goes back onto it.

CA Contracted:
Michael Clarke
Pat Cummins
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Starc
David Warner
Shane Watson

NSW:
Sean Abbott
Doug Bollinger
Trent Copeland
Tim Cruickshank
David Dawson
Josh Hazlewood
Moises Henriques
Scott Henry
Daniel Hughes
Joshua Lalor
Nic Maddinson
Peter Nevill
Steve O’Keefe
Kurtis Patterson
Ben Rohrer
Steven Smith
Christopher Tremain

In: Abbott, Cruickshank, Dawson, Henry, D. Hughes, Lalor, Patterson, Tremain

Out: Casson (dead), Clark (retired although he was retired before and that didn't stop us), Burt Cockley (delisted) Hauritz (Left for Queensland because it's kinda hard to displace the captain), Phillip Hughes (South Australia), Phil Jaques (Left for England), Simon Katich (retired; will focus on his cooking), Usman Khawaja (Queensland), Brett Lee (didn't want one)

Rookies:
Nicholas Bills
Harry Conway
Luke Doran
Gurinder Sandhu
Adam Zampa

In: Conway, Doran, Sandhu
Out: Abbott (full contract), Nathan Brain (delisted), Timm Van Der Gugten (TAS)

I lied, Daniel Hughes hasn't debuted for NSW yet. He's a batsman, for those who don't know. But yeah we've promoted from within. Cruickshank quite lucky imo. Didn't really look up to it. Pace got him a bit. Most of the rest expected. I suspect the delisted Cockley would still play before Abbott if push came to shove, Abbott's an LO player only at this stage.

Anyway, think we've escaped a bit of damage really. Hauritz is a better spinner than SOK but you know...a prime example why you shouldn't make your captain the keeper or spinner until he's got that spot in the team nailed on. Katich retiring hurts, but we thought he was going to WA anyway. We knew Usman was going. Hughes blindsided us a bit, which leaves a bitter taste, and he'll probably be the hardest to replace. But we kept Smith, Nevill, all the fast bowlers. It could have been a lot worse. Haddin and Starc could have missed CA contracts...

So a quick mock line-up for our first couple of shield games, which are expected to take place during the T20 WC, because the Champions League, which CA part owns, and which most of the nsw squad will be attending, is on later, in November, cause of the T20 WC.

1. Maddinson
2. Hughes/Henry
3. Smith
4. Clarke (C)
5. Rohrer/Patterson
6. Nevill
7. Haddin (+)
8. SOK
9. Copeland
10. Hazlewood
11. Bollinger

Maybe a question mark over Haddin, cause you know. Clarke captains when he's back now. Frankly I'd move him up to 3 but w/ever. So I guess Smith will take it. Which could be uh... Don't think Patterson will walk straight into the team. Haddin and Nevill playing means we can't really pick Henriques, but with the C gone he could replace SOK if conditions suit. And if Haddin were to miss, he'd come in. Starc's killing the English T20 league after being very good in our one, so I expect he'll be gone. Big seasons for SOK and Copeland who were pretty pathetic last season. And yes I do know in reality we'll pick Moz so we can have 5 ******* bowlers...although we put out an ad for a new selector so maybe there's hope.....

Like last season, top order batting will be the worry, but this time we don't have a couple of test players filling those spots...

I'd like us to have a look at Cockley. Could be some handy depth in the bowling stakes. Not all that convinced by Boland or Gilmour. We will have Pattinson, McKay, Siddle and possibly Hastings missing for chunks of the season too, leaving only Herrick.

Ahh when did Beau Casson die? I knew he had a heart condition but didn't know that he had passed away. That's terrible news for someone so young.

he didn't die. it's a terrible joke. i'm pretty sure he's fine. there's a nice article here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/559613.html

he might still have a future in cricket, in a coaching/media/w'ever aspect. he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. there was another article a coupe of years back where he said:
"I've still got the baggy green at home. I still get it out occasionally and put it on again," he said.

"It's nice to look in the mirror and know you played Test cricket for Australia."
which is a really sweet line

as for cockley, there's this article (http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/cricket/burt-cockley-stays-warm-in-darwin/2599186.aspx) which suggests a move could happen:

If cast aside from NSW, Cockley will not hesitate to follow the lead of fellow Novocastrian quicks Michael Hogan and Adam Maher in searching interstate for a contract.

‘‘I don’t want to be playing grade cricket and trying to force my way in,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve done a lot of hard work before on my injuries and shown I can be a first-class cricketer and compete, so if NSW can’t fit me in that’s fine.

‘‘I’m a professional cricketer so I’ve got to go and be used by another state really.’’

I don't think teams can add anymore contracts, so if victoria were to get him down there it'd have to be through a bbl contract.

I reckon they might trial an opener from within the previously established batting lineup. Rohrer maybe. They may even put Henriques in there, or Nevill if he's not keeping. Alternatively, can Patterson open? Amazing how we've gone from having a batting order full of openers to struggling to scrape two together!

I love the idea of Smith nailing down a permanent spot at 3. It will make or break him.

Cruickshank basically got a contract by default, not like there is anyone else pushing for a spot in Grade cricket that I know of.

Leading run scorer. Didn't impress in the solo NSW game he got tho. thought only one of he and C'shank would get a contract. They're both around 30.

Grade runs: http://www.sydneygrade.nsw.cricket....v/cricket/battingav.aspx?entityid=4&id=RV_CBA

2nd XI matches:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/349/349155.html
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/349/349157.html
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/349/349163.html
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/349/349165.html

NSW 2nd XI games didn't help. McLean's about the only consistent run score there....and he's a bowler. It's nice to know our selectors are consistent, we pick way too many bowlers in the 2nd xi games too.

There was also a 'proper' 2nd XI game with Victoria after the season was over, (and maybe another during the season) which wasn't official so not really proper at all, where a lot of the guys in contention for the last contract spots played. D. Hughes, got a ton in that match. Abbott made 22 off 105 balls...and then 109 off 96 balls as NSW chased down 353. Price got 85 odd in that. If Price had made some runs in the 1st grade final instead of making a golden duck he might have grabbed a contract. Cameron Merchant played that game too, he has some FC exp over in NZ, but didn't do much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, with Henry being selected as an opener (and showing some promise), it leads me to question: why the * is Nevill still opening, with Maddinson at 3? How about we put Maddinson up the top where he belongs, with Henry, put Smith in at 3, Clarke/Patterson at 4, Nevill at 5, Henriques at 6 and Haddin at 7? This allows Henriques more responsibility as a batsman, which I think would be good for him, it gives Smith an opportunity to really show what he's capable of as a batsman, it gives Patterson a logical opening into the side, and it gives Nevill a chance to showcase his batting in a position relatively similar to where he'd be batting if he was keeping. Hell, you could even move Henriques to 5 and Nevill to 6.

Of course, I'd drop Haddin for Nevill outright, but yeah.

patterson has probably got a fair right to ask why he is constantly being overlooked since that cracking debut.... injury obviously curtailed last season post christmas

henry, maddinson and smith all averaging under 30 in their first 2 games.

must admit i haven't been following it too closely at the start of this season with a few things going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back