New Sponsor - Dare Iced Coffee announced as Principal Partner

Remove this Banner Ad

I was harsh on Nettles for his lack in this area.

Agree it seems an awful waste we had no success for the draft, seems not much improvement yet.

I would love to go out and sell the saints brand, totally believe in its marketing value.

Am I harsh, do I expect too much?

Stolen from http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-annual-reports-and-media.1079199/

Sponsorship and Marketing
  • Brisbane - $11,207,630, down from $11,225,023
  • Carlton - $13,602,675, up from 12,217,695
  • Collingwood - $19,326,637, down from $19,650,141
  • Essendon - $17,690,850, up from $16,837,899
  • Geelong - $16,251,281, down from $17,039,348
  • Hawthorn -$15,093,510, down from $15,226,374
  • Richmond - $4,700,000 (net)
  • St Kilda - $5,560,928, down from $7,081,080

E: I think this shows just how important it is to get these sponsor dollars. If we were getting even close to the money the Lions were getting from their Sponsorship and Marketing we very well could have turned a profit this year.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just thought I'd share some info. We are very close to getting a new sponsor. From the car manufacturing industry and is an international company.

Obviously it's not confirmed yet as we are awaiting on confirmation from them but it seems fairly close. Would be a great get for the club!
Since you started this thread, can you shed any light on how things have/are progressing?

Stolen from http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-annual-reports-and-media.1079199/
Sponsorship and Marketing
  • Brisbane - $11,207,630, down from $11,225,023
  • Carlton - $13,602,675, up from 12,217,695
  • Collingwood - $19,326,637, down from $19,650,141
  • Essendon - $17,690,850, up from $16,837,899
  • Geelong - $16,251,281, down from $17,039,348
  • Hawthorn -$15,093,510, down from $15,226,374
  • Richmond - $4,700,000 (net)
  • St Kilda - $5,560,928, down from $7,081,080

I wonder what the net figures look like for the other clubs.

We brought in $1.521m less in 2014, and posted a $2.4m loss; even if we'd retained sponsors at 2013's level, we'd still have posted a loss of over $1m for the year.

Since you started this thread, can you shed any light on how things have/are progressing?
Hey mate, things are still close but haven't heard whether it is a yay or nay with the company or not. Basically in the dark as everyone else is but fingers crossed we get them over the line is all I can say I suppose.

When I know either way I'll be sure to pass it on

Am I crazy to think that our entire existence as a club may hinge on us getting a big sponsor soon? The financial figures are distressing to say the least. The Collingwood presidents words today ring very true. You can't run losses into the millions every year and stay afloat.

Good luck to those who are in there trying to make something happen.

NZ tourism as a new sponsor as per latest video? Similar to the hawks with Tasmania tourism.
Yeah I noticed that. The last couple of posts on the Facebook page have had links to 100% Pure NZ as well.

Am I crazy to think that our entire existence as a club may hinge on us getting a big sponsor soon? The financial figures are distressing to say the least. The Collingwood presidents words today ring very true. You can't run losses into the millions every year and stay afloat.

Good luck to those who are in there trying to make something happen.
Ill repeat it again. We make the AFL 100+ million a year just by playing in the competition. Both GWS and Gold coast suck twice the money we do but wont be going anywhere for a long time.

Its just a another busybody way for Collingwood to get into the media, dont worry about it.

Hey mate, things are still close but haven't heard whether it is a yay or nay with the company or not. Basically in the dark as everyone else is but fingers crossed we get them over the line is all I can say I suppose.

When I know either way I'll be sure to pass it on
This is probably why saints haven't released their jumpers yet. Don't want to waste money in our financial situation manufacturing jumpers that will need to be re-done if a new sponsor comes on board.

This is probably why saints haven't released their jumpers yet. Don't want to waste money in our financial situation manufacturing jumpers that will need to be re-done if a new sponsor comes on board.
They slap a heat sticker over the top of the old ones anyway. The 2013 Ledified jumpers were just a heat transfer over the centrebet logo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They slap a heat sticker over the top of the old ones anyway. The 2013 Ledified jumpers were just a heat transfer over the centrebet logo.
Didnt mind the Centrebet logo.
Without going into the whole "is gambling, smoking, drinking advertising" morally right. I just liked how the simple black n white emblem suited our jumper colors.
The big yellow Ledified panel looked shite.
Although I know the whole point of advertising is to be noticed. But it was too big and yellow IMO.
But I guess at the minute beggers cant be choosers. Im happy for any major sponsor to jump on board.
As long as its not somebody like the NQR supermarket chain.
We dont need to be officially known as the Not Quite Right Saints :p

Ill repeat it again. We make the AFL 100+ million a year just by playing in the competition. Both GWS and Gold coast suck twice the money we do but wont be going anywhere for a long time.

Its just a another busybody way for Collingwood to get into the media, dont worry about it.

If I was in Stkilda marketing department the 1st door I would be knocking on is Netflix will be huge next year &
years to come.

If I was in Stkilda marketing department the 1st door I would be knocking on is Netflix will be huge next year &
years to come.

This is a great idea, and I may actually be able to help here, been doing a lot of work with the VOD platforms including netflix, will see if i can float the idea with their team (who knows it might interest them)

Why on earth would Netflix want to sponsor a sports team?
The whole model of Netflix is to lead people away from TV packages and towards on demand viewing. It almost conflicts directly with the AFL's broadcast rights intent.
Their model is to use their cash to secure rights to shows, ideally exclusive rights. In the US they made their breakthrough with breaking bad, then house of cards and people subscribed as they could only see the show there. Then they looked at buying some NFL rights.
There's no way the AFL wants to give up any control of its own league TV rights.

Last edited:
Why on earth would Netflix want to sponsor a sports team?

The only people who don't know what Netflix is are people who mainly watch TV and are not into/can't work out how to download stuff. By having your name all over TV gives you exposure to these people.

I agree though that the AFL, TV stations and in particular Australia's overlord Rupert Murdoch wont be happy about it so that may be where it gets hard.

This is a great idea, and I may actually be able to help here, been doing a lot of work with the VOD platforms including netflix, will see if i can float the idea with their team (who knows it might interest them)

Well done for the initiative to ask a potential sponsor. It is often these personal introductions that get a sponsorship started. Great work

I can't see Foxtel being too happy having Netflix advertised in the AFL. You can almost guarantee that they'd twist the AFL's arm into disallowing it.

Mind you, Toyota are the major sponsor of the AFL, and plenty of teams get around with their rivals' badges.

A simple black and white "100% nz" logo would look great on our jumper.
Oh, it SOOOO would, wouldn't it!? It'd be a helluvalot nicer than the Tassie one on the Hawks jumper!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back