Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Didn't see a thread already

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-10/hawks-close-to-confirming-new-tassie-deal

"Discussions have been really positive, progressing well, and I would hope that in coming months there would be an announcement around hopefully a future partnership," Fox told AFL.com.au.

Probably not too surprising but I'd say the new contract would run to the end of 2019 or 2020. As predicted Tasmania has requested more games and bigger clubs. We played a straight bat. I'd assume it'll stay at 4 games a year playing mostly non-Victorian teams, so basically the status quo

I'm not a fan of the partnership and never have been

I don't understand the negativity re: Tassie. It's been the most productive & savvy partnership I can remember in afl sponsorship history. The deal gives the club financial security and a long term presence in the apple isle.
Like most clubs we have a s#it load of bandwagoners that'll jump off the second our on field performance nosedives, the money from Tassie will be a godsend if/when that happens.
Btw, have the people complaining about this ever been to York Park?

I think it's fantastic, it's win-win-win. It's a great deal for us, financially, which is obviously a wonderful thing. To have that surety in extremely uncertain financial times is absolutely brilliant. Tassie gets a massive influx of tourism, it has been proven time and time again to bring in way more money to their fragile economy than it costs them. And they get top level footy 8 times a year, with the North thing going on as well. And for me, as the fan on the ground, and 14 year member, I just booked my 4th trip down there for a game, which I absolutely love, and I still get to use my membership card to get into as many Melbourne games as I would if we weren't down there.

I see very little downside, for anyone.

Not too fussed really. If we terminate the deal, we will have to play games at the concrete shithouse known as Etihad
Actually when we are forced out of the deal it will give us greater compensation which should include avoiding Etihad.

Two big wins here.

1. $$$$
2. AFL house will be pissed.
This. Because we are making the compensation claim bigger for when they force us out.

This club is brilliant at positioning itself to become the victim here.
This is Waverly 2.0.

Actually when we are forced out of the deal it will give us greater compensation which should include avoiding Etihad.

This. Because we are making the compensation claim bigger for when they force us out.

What compensation? If the agreement expires it's like any other contract. We'll go back into the Victorian fixturing mess and end up with a bunch of Etihad games.

Hello from Launceston. Or as the signs at the airport say, "Hawkceston". A few Hawthorn fans wandering about in Hawks gear and no doubts that will increase as the afternoon flights arrive.

The deal has been mutually beneficial to Launceston & Tassie and also Hawthorn. Great surface at Aurora Stadium.

Just a shame we can't sell the ground out each game. Since NM started playing in Hobart, crowds have definitely shrunk. It could also be due to the novelty factor dropping off and local economic and employment situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Tassie is a winner for us.
Money, true home ground advantage, and a community to service that is valuable to personal player development. You know, something more substantial than the cars they rock up to training in - and the wags riding shotgun.
Future Tassie math could show.... 20,000members / 100,000 supporters / $2,000,000 earned per game.
Just give us an academy down there McLachlan and we'll call it good for past slights, OK?

I don't understand the negativity re: Tassie. It's been the most productive & savvy partnership I can remember in afl sponsorship history. The deal gives the club financial security and a long term presence in the apple isle.
Like most clubs we have a s#it load of bandwagoners that'll jump off the second our on field performance nosedives, the money from Tassie will be a godsend if/when that happens.

All true, but the thing has reached its high water mark, and the extra capacity (which hawthorn contributed dollars for) has never been used.
Tassie are not negotiating from a position of strength, particularly as our negotiator who gets bent over is no longer at the club

Thwy should just be happy they dont get gold coast and GWS every year. Freo ? Marvelous !

Just a shame we can't sell the ground out each game.
I reckon they're completely over the GWS, Gold Coast, Freo, Brisbane circus coming to town every year...

There needs to be more Bulldogs, Saints type games...maybe even throw a Richmond game there every couple of years, so the fans don't feel they're just getting the chaff

I reckon they're completely over the GWS, Gold Coast, Freo, Brisbane circus coming to town every year...

There needs to be more Bulldogs, Saints type games...maybe even throw a Richmond game there every couple of years, so the fans don't feel they're just getting the chaff

Even though they actually are ? Thats the difficult bit, having two completely different sets of messages, which piss off the constituency they arent aimed at.

Still, the tasmanians got to see more than 15 minutes of premiership celebrations in 2013, so they cant be that unhappy

TOURISM $$$

If they had their own team they'd have more games in the state and more sets of supporters making the trip. Rather than 1 clubs supporters having to stump up the cash 4 times a year (potentially), they'd have access to 11 (half the comp for the sake of the argument as they will have 11 home games) teams supporters stumping up the cash once a year.

Nope. I've boycotted Tasmania as much as possible regarding this deal. I don't have any club merchandise with Tasmania on it either. It's a shame because neither of my kids have a guernsey

The AFL offered us $7mil to walk away before the last deal.

When they were trying to shoehorn North into a seven game deal in Tasmania.

That's history.

Melbourne should be added to the rotation as well

Freo, WCE, Adel, Port, Bris, GWS, GC
Mel, StK, Dogs, North

That's 10 teams that should be visiting once every 3 years with one side doubling up

Presason games rotate Pies, Blues, Bombers, Cats, Tigers, Swans

When they were trying to shoehorn North into a seven game deal in Tasmania.

That's history.

But the AFL are always going to want that. It takes north off the drip and brings us back to the pack.

Nope. I've boycotted Tasmania as much as possible regarding this deal. I don't have any club merchandise with Tasmania on it either. It's a shame because neither of my kids have a guernsey

That's pretty sad for your kids.

Because you're stubborn, your kids miss out.
Someone think of the kids.

I grew up in Vic & never had any intentions of going to Tas.
I moved to Perth 21 yrs ago & I've travelled to Tassie 4 times in last 10 yrs. Great ground to watch the game at, great place to visit.

I'd highly recommend that you get over it, move on & take your kids to see a game there. They'll love you even more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back