NCAA New to College Football - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boy, that's embarrassing...

I'm trying to decide on a team and am thinking the Sooners. Quite liked the Pokes and their constant rolling of teams, but I just don't think their O can carry them forever.

OU seem a bit more balanced.

Was interested in their history as well as their outlook for the future if anyone could contribute.
Oklahoma is good for that at the moment. Maybe check out some Texas Longhorn football?

Has the same positives as Oklahoma. Just a few minor differences, currently in a down spell, more adventurous play calling, and IMO, a tad more entertaining. Oh, and they're better in basketball, oh Kevin Durant :heart:

Oklahoma is good for that at the moment. Maybe check out some Texas Longhorn football?

Has the same positives as Oklahoma. Just a few minor differences, currently in a down spell, more adventurous play calling, and IMO, a tad more entertaining. Oh, and they're better in basketball, oh Kevin Durant :heart:
Yeah Longhorns have certainly improved throughout the year. One thing I don't like about them is their one dimensional offense (currently). It may be because of injuries, but their O-line has thinned down heaps recently.

I've found myself to be quite attached to Big 12 football. Some competitive and exciting teams (Mizzou, TTU, ATM, OU, OSU, Baylor). And it also houses one of, if not the best coach going around in Bill Snyder.

Wildcats seem to be a team that is extremely opportunistic, but not flashy. They don't make big mistakes, aren't super talented and are perennially underrated which makes me like them. Not to mention really well coached.

Is the Big XII historically quite successful? Lots of talent going around. What is in store for the Big XII in terms of re-alignment?

Is the Big XII historically quite successful? Lots of talent going around. What is in store for the Big XII in terms of re-alignment?
Big XII is mathamatically the best conference at the moment, and has been pretty close for a while.

Re-alignment seems to be settling down. Probably safe on the Big XII front now.

Only really Big East, MWC, WAC and C-USA would get affected on the next wave.

Dirty Bird is 100% correct. The very nature of College Football doesn't allow even the most dominant of programs to always be great. Michigan is the winningest program of all time, yet they've only won 1 National Championship in 63 years(and it was a split national championship at that). Anyways, Oklahoma is the only program I can think of that since the turn of the century has always been a Top 5/Top 10 team.

So the bottom line is that if you want to pick a team to follow that is consistently good every year, ala Manchester United, Barcelona, the Yankees, the Patriots etc..... you are out of luck because that doesn't happen in college football.

There are a lot of criteria you can use to pick a team to support: Geographical Location, Fight Song, History/Pedigree, Colours/Uniforms, Rabid Fanbase. Things like "style of offense" or "player that I like" I wouldn't factor in, because those things can change yearly and then you'll be trying to find a new team to support.

Any thoughts on Wisconsin DB? I also like watching them.

I think it's down to ND, Wisconsin, LSU or Oregon.

I also like watching Penn State but now that they're Ped State I'm not so sure.

Also, why can't ND make a BCS Championship Game? Because they're not in a conference so unless they have an undefeated season they won't get a look in?

Also, why can't ND make a BCS Championship Game? Because they're not in a conference so unless they have an undefeated season they won't get a look in?
You liked watching Penn State? Their offense is totally anemic and it's only their D that keeps them in games. Found them a total snore fest.

Yeah Longhorns have certainly improved throughout the year. One thing I don't like about them is their one dimensional offense (currently). It may be because of injuries, but their O-line has thinned down heaps recently.

I've found myself to be quite attached to Big 12 football. Some competitive and exciting teams (Mizzou, TTU, ATM, OU, OSU, Baylor). And it also houses one of, if not the best coach going around in Bill Snyder.

Wildcats seem to be a team that is extremely opportunistic, but not flashy. They don't make big mistakes, aren't super talented and are perennially underrated which makes me like them. Not to mention really well coached.

Amazing talent pool. I know we got Darren Thomas and LaMichael James from Texas. Andrew Luck is also from Texas. PAC-12 Schools seem to be scouting away from California a lot more.

Wisconsin has proven to be overrated this season. Beat up on terrible teams and had a really soft non-Conference schedule. Did lose two tight games against Michigan State and Ohio State but that was more QB Russell Wilson almost bailing them out more than anything else. Good team this season, arguably the best in the Big Ten, but overrated.

As for Notre Dame, yup they're an independent and so pretty much they'd have to win all their games to have a real shot. Because of their great history/reputation and large fan base, they would make a BCS Bowl just by having a 10 win season as all BCS Bowl organizers care about is selling tickets/hotel packages.

Dirty Bird is 100% correct. The very nature of College Football doesn't allow even the most dominant of programs to always be great. Michigan is the winningest program of all time, yet they've only won 1 National Championship in 63 years(and it was a split national championship at that). Anyways, Oklahoma is the only program I can think of that since the turn of the century has always been a Top 5/Top 10 team.

So the bottom line is that if you want to pick a team to follow that is consistently good every year, ala Manchester United, Barcelona, the Yankees, the Patriots etc..... you are out of luck because that doesn't happen in college football.

There are a lot of criteria you can use to pick a team to support: Geographical Location, Fight Song, History/Pedigree, Colours/Uniforms, Rabid Fanbase. Things like "style of offense" or "player that I like" I wouldn't factor in, because those things can change yearly and then you'll be trying to find a new team to support.

Fascinating thread, but when all's said and done, this post is on the money. With a bit of research you can find some connection affinity or 'vibe' with one college or another.

Riggy, Boston College having a down year? :confused: WTF???

Penn State - Have been average to so-so for a long time now. They should be in the upper echelon/ powerhouse but are not. Paterno going will do them good (Florida State style).

Notre Dame stink because they have a billion rivalries to play each year. Playing powerhouses USC and Michigan each year is ridiculously hard (even in down years)

The likes of Texas, Oklahoma, LSU are in recruiting gold mines and hence why they generally do well every year. If you want a team with lots of history, lots of resources, lots of 5 star recruits, pick one of them.

If you want a up and coming program that have been there abouts for quite a few years now, Oregon, Boise St, Wisconsin.

If you want a smart school, pick Stanford, Duke, Northwestern or Vandy.

If you want a former powerhouse that is on the come back, pick Florida State, Nebraska or USC.

If you want a basketball school but are a joke football wise, pick UCLA, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky or Syracuse.

If you want a bunch of in-breds, pick Ohio State Knobjockeys.

If you want to be cool and follow tradition, legacy, success, history, glory.... pick the Michigan Wolverines :)

Riggy, Boston College having a down year? :confused: WTF???
Are you serious?
BC's 1999-present

1999 - 8-4
2000 - 7-5
2001 - 8-4
2002 - 9-4
2003 - 8-5
2004 - 9-3
2005 - 9-3
2006 - 10-3
2007 - 11-3
2008 - 9-5
2009 - 8-5
2010 - 7-6
2011 - 3-7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

\

Wisconsin are a great program - I love the bash and crash football they play and Russell Wilson has brought a lot to their offense.... I love how their entire offensive line outweighs the packers offensive line as well.... Get on board them as a school as they have a better basketball program than LSU / Oregon and Notre Dame.....

The games are awesome to go to.... I went to the Rose Bowl where they got beaten by TCU last year.... Amazing experience... Am booked to go to Camp Randall next year...

Are you serious?
BC's 1999-present

1999 - 8-4
2000 - 7-5
2001 - 8-4
2002 - 9-4
2003 - 8-5
2004 - 9-3
2005 - 9-3
2006 - 10-3
2007 - 11-3
2008 - 9-5
2009 - 8-5
2010 - 7-6
2011 - 3-7
So yes Boston College are having a bad year for a average to pretty good program.

That record is hardly anything earth-shattering or something to go gaga about. Especially considering the conference they are in.

That record is hardly anything earth-shattering or something to go gaga about. Especially considering the conference they are in.
funny

1999-2010
Boston College - 103-50
Michigan - 98-50

BigTen - 247.650 rating
ACC - 247.250 rating

(In comparison they're between the Pac-12 on 254.504 and the Big East on 234.422) [these are Richard Billinglsy ratings]

Better record, even conferences, and you're going on about 'If you want to be cool and follow success, history, glory etc. etc..... pick the Michigan Wolverines'?

:rolleyes:

I liked how you stopped at 1999 just to exclude:
1994 - 7-4-1
1995 - 4-8
1996 - 5-7
1997 - 4-7
1998 - 4-7
And would you like to exclude the fact BC have 1 conference title in history and even so that was in a 4-way tie.

Quite simply, Boston College aren't a big time program and that is fact. They are never national title relevant, hardly ever play in the big 4 bowls and as said before 'down year for an average to pretty good program'

As for Michigan:
Winningest program in college football history
Big House
Winged Helmet
11 National Championships (be in 1 in recent times)
42 Big 10 Titles
One of the most heated rivalries in all of sport
3 Heisman Trophy winners

As I said... If you want to be cool, follow success, history, glory, legacy and the whole sham wow, yes pick Michigan. Or you can pick the overnight sensations who play on a funky colour turf but can't find a reliable kicker like you did.

Why you being facetious for?

Michigan
1999 - Made it to the Orange Bowl and won
2003 - 2004, 2006 - Made it to the rose bowl and lost
2002, 2007 - Beat the Gators in 2 tier 2 bowl games.

Finished top 20 in 8 of the past 12 seasons...

Also in 97 (split national championship) and 98 they had better seasons than Boston ever had.

Beaten 31 ranked opponents in the past 12 years

Boston College

No significant bowl wins at all... Boise in 2005 in a down year is probably their best win... oh and what happened in 1997 and 1998?

Ranked top 20 in 2 of the past 12 season

Beaten 14 ranked opponents in their past 12 years...

Stop being a cnut.

Fascinating thread, but when all's said and done, this post is on the money. With a bit of research you can find some connection affinity or 'vibe' with one college or another.

It's a great thread. I have soft spots for certain schools usually because I'm close to people who are alumni, or I know people on academic staff there. I sort of follow Wisconsin, Michigan State and Nebraska, so I tend to watch the Big Ten more than other conferences. But that's the extent of my passion.

College football is amazing, and I love to tune in to rivalry or big BCS standings games. I can see why people would follow particular conferences - say SEC or Big 12 - for game styles, great rivalries, and consistently good teams. Or watching it all closely because you're a draft nut. But the idea of picking one school for whatever reason, and sticking with it forever, I don't know, it just strikes me as odd. I mean, they're schools after all. It would be like following Sacred Heart College games because they're good at producing AFL talent. I just don't get how some random person on the other side of the world, having never set foot in Alabama, could choose to follow the Crimson Tide exclusively, and do weird things like wish failure upon everything Cam Newton does.

I just picked Baylor just because of RGIII. I don't follow it too seriously but would love to go to a few games in the next year or two like Ohio State and Cal. Maybe a few others as well but, more in to the pro game.

If you are one if those guys that wears American college snapbacks and actually want a college that's cool (don't get me wrong, not me) then pick:
Stanford
Florida State U
San Diego
Alabama
Boston
Or any school sponsored by Nike or Adidas

I just picked Baylor just because of RGIII. I don't follow it too seriously but would love to go to a few games in the next year or two like Ohio State and Cal. Maybe a few others as well but, more in to the pro game.

College football is great anywhere but absolutely nowhere is it better than in the south. Take your pick, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc. And I didn't even mention the two great teams in Alabama. As far as a game day scene, Ole Miss is the best I've ever seen. The team itself is usually mediocre or lousy BUT they know how to party in Oxford, Mississippi. Game days are actually Game weekends there. It's a huge social eventand it all starts in The Grove. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_(Ole_Miss)

And most importantly, the girls. I went to school in Texas and they're tough to beat there....or any place in the south (or Arizona). But Ole Miss does. And all the students dress up for the games. Guys in khakis and button down and chicks actually wear dresses. If you're not too old and don't look like a doofus, run that Australia-speak by these girls and they'll eat out of your hand (they're always looking for something different).

I asked DirtyBird to do a flow chart like the NFL thread.

Tasked with a monstrous challenge, DB came thru with flying colors!

Have added it to the OP...

Click for super-sized full image

ncaawhotosupportflowcha.png

Great effort, there are some pretty clever options in there.

But there is one problem with it - nobody new to CFB will know what maybe half of those helmets are. I'd guess that the ones with college initials (UCLA, GT, VT, OU etc) or the whole team name in the case of Boise State, Illinois etc wouldn't be that hard to figure out with a quick google search, but teams like Alabama, ND, Penn St, SMU, Navy etc won't be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back