New TV deal for AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

This is news. Apparently Channel 7 will televise 3 games every weekend unless there is also a Thursday night game. This will absolutely guarantee that St Kilda will never by on Free to Air again until it starts playing finals. When there are only three games, these will involve Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond and occasional contenders. On the bright side, there is a lot of money involved and maybe the AFL could use some of this money to pay out Etihad.

How many do they televise now? And we are on TV from time to time in melbourne? I'm in Perth and use the AFLTV app so not sure what the existing is.

It would be great to get some recognition of the financial impact paying off Ethiad for the AFL has cost us. But I doubt that would happen. Even better would be to have:
1 x Thirsday night match
1 x Friday night match
1 x Saturday night match
1 x Sunday day match
5 x Saturday afternoon matches, at 2:10 and to hell with an extra $100m telecast

Great deal, that's us safe in this league for another 5 years. Hopefully it means a buyout of Etihad, too.

I don't buy that we won't be on FTA anymore, that's overly pessimistic and negative, we'll be back up there soon enough. 1x Thurs/Sat, 1x Friday, 1x Saturday night, 1x Sunday afternoon, when we win we'll be back on 7.

Great deal, that's us safe in this league for another 5 years. Hopefully it means a buyout of Etihad, too.

I don't buy that we won't be on FTA anymore, that's overly pessimistic and negative, we'll be back up there soon enough. 1x Thurs/Sat, 1x Friday, 1x Saturday night, 1x Sunday afternoon, when we win we'll be back on 7.
The buy out of Etihad ensures our place in the AFL forever

really good deal... i'm glad these less FTA games, perhaps people will turn up to games

AFL needs to concentrate on live participation, attending games and also being involved in the next tiers. state leagues to community involvement. get people out of the chair and to the ground

hopefully the next news is a decision on buying etihad for around 200 million, basically the money made from online rights

The buy out of Etihad ensures our place in the AFL forever

not without hard work. AFL will have guaranteed our running costs with the TV deal and will open up a better stadium deal but us as a club and a supporter base need to do our bit and turn up to games, make it a great event

really good deal... i'm glad these less FTA games, perhaps people will turn up to games

AFL needs to concentrate on live participation, attending games and also being involved in the next tiers. state leagues to community involvement. get people out of the chair and to the ground

hopefully the next news is a decision on buying etihad for around 200 million, basically the money made from online rights
Yes and no. Not everybody can get to games.

TV viewership directly influences sponsorship however. We are already limited to a handful of FTA games, any less is going to make us even less desirable for big name companies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me Foxtel any day, it's now the cost of two pizza's per month, quite affordable. You can also make out players faces and read the numbers on the back of their jumper because they televise their matches in HD, something I'm sure 7 will try to avoid until 2050.
7mate already televises in the australian version of HD. AND it's still additional from foxtel to get HD, and additional to get sport...

All that vs $80 for afl tv for every game.

Jeff Browne has been appointed to head up Channel 9's bid for the TV rights, so they're going to have a very serious crack at it. So what channel 7 wants to do might be irrelevant.

OK, so I should have read the article first. I guess that's a great price, but am surprised that there doesn't seem to have been a proper tender process...

The AFL is simply delusional if they don't make online available on pc. They are simply giving those viewers to unofficial streaming services instead. People are happy to pay for a service, but they want to get value for money. Having it only on a 5-inch phone or 10-inch tablet is not value for money.

The AFL is simply delusional if they don't make online available on pc. They are simply giving those viewers to unofficial streaming services instead. People are happy to pay for a service, but they want to get value for money. Having it only on a 5-inch phone or 10-inch tablet is not value for money.
I agree but it would partially undermine the TV deal. Foxtel knows it's got increasing competition with viable streaming services finally entering the Australian market and their competitive edge is their exclusive content you can't stream (sport, Game of Thrones...other stuff?). So I don't see them paying nearly as much money for the rights if they can't smack the "exclusive to Foxtel" stamp on their games and I don't see them helping out any streaming services unless it's Foxtel GO. AFL Live gets a pass since it's only on tablets and mobiles which doesn't directly eat into their market and I think they still get a cut.

If the history of digital rights management has taught us anything, don't assume media companies care about what consumers want or that they'll make the best decisions for the long term.

I really hope the new deal doesn't mean there will be games from Thursday to Monday.
I have no idea who thinks that by playing games on more days keeps the interest up, because it doesn't.
I think Monday football is dead but Thursday night will live for around six rounds. I actually found I luked the Thursday night match. But agree with you. Walk to walk matches is not ideAl

I agree but it would partially undermine the TV deal. Foxtel knows it's got increasing competition with viable streaming services finally entering the Australian market and their competitive edge is their exclusive content you can't stream (sport, Game of Thrones...other stuff?). So I don't see them paying nearly as much money for the rights if they can't smack the "exclusive to Foxtel" stamp on their games and I don't see them helping out any streaming services unless it's Foxtel GO. AFL Live gets a pass since it's only on tablets and mobiles which doesn't directly eat into their market and I think they still get a cut.

If the history of digital rights management has taught us anything, don't assume media companies care about what consumers want or that they'll make the best decisions for the long term.
I see what you're saying, but equally, streaming could be directly run by the AFL, without Fox or Telstra playing middle-man. Then they get all the cash, instead of sharing it with other parties.

TV is a dying medium. It has helped the AFL in two ways: promotion of the game to the general population, and their production expertise. I can understand the value of FTA, because they do both these things. But Foxtel? It doesn't promote the game, because not everyone buys it. So it's only purpose as a middleman is it's production. The AFL site is increasingly creating good enough content, with good enough production, all by itself. As such, the AFL can make most of the money itself, Foxtel can get the scraps and be grateful it's even getting those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back