New VWFL Teams for 2015

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
A new year means the next season of the VWFL isn't too far away.

Apparently there was something like an expression of interest of around 15 new teams/clubs to join the VWFL in 2015. No official word on who those teams are yet.

What I've heard so far (from various sources) is...

* Premier Division will be made up of six teams, down from seven in 2014. Season to consist of 15 rounds.

* Division One will consist of ten teams, up from eight teams in 2014, over an 18 round season. Most likely Seaford Tigerettes and either North Geelong Magpies or Bendigo Thunder.

* Division Two will include three of last year's Division Three clubs; Wyndhamvale Falcons, Port Melbourne Colts and possibly Whitehorse Colts

* Port Melbourne Colts are attempting to field two sides in 2015 and (I'm told) have had at least 30 at pre-season training.

* St Kilda Sharks will field three sides in 2015, matching Melbourne University Mugars for most sides in the VWFL.

Likely new clubs in the VWFL:
* Bacchus Marsh Cobras - http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2654789/cobras-sign-up-for-vwfl
* Kyneton Tigers - http://www.elliottmidnews.com.au/story/2606275/tigers-building-new-senior-team

Teams in danger of folding:
* Sunbury Lions - http://www.macedonranges.starweekly...nbury-lions-womens-football-team-seek-support

Anyone else heard any news of new teams or 2014 teams struggling to get on the track?

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Confirmed... Fitzroy will enter a team in the VWFL 4th Division this year.

Also hearing mail that Wyndhamvale, who won last year's Division 3 flag (undefeated), will NOT field a side this year!

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Rosebud and Bulleen-Templestowe are also new teams to join in 2015.

I've heard that Sunbury will field a team this year (after being close to folding), however (sadly) Wyndhamvale will not field a side.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Here is a question for the Victorian Womens footy followers.
We noticed while looking through the AFL South East site several leagues featuring Netball Clubs incorporated within them.
The AFL South West Commission in its future directions policy stated that preparations for Womens footy teams are to begin.
Will this be a conflict of interest or are there already Netball and Womens footy teams co existing in the same clubs in Victoria.
We come from the Commercial world where competition is everywhere. Where do the resources get allocated.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Here is a question for the Victorian Womens footy followers.
We noticed while looking through the AFL South East site several leagues featuring Netball Clubs incorporated within them.
The AFL South West Commission in its future directions policy stated that preparations for Womens footy teams are to begin.
Will this be a conflict of interest or are there already Netball and Womens footy teams co existing in the same clubs in Victoria.
We come from the Commercial world where competition is everywhere. Where do the resources get allocated.
Isn't Darebin based at a women's sports club, with soccer and netball?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Isn't Darebin based at a women's sports club, with soccer and netball?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yes you are right. Whoever wrote the Wiki article below said the situation there was unique. It is set up as a Womens Sports Club including several sports. What I find interesting is that one of the sports is Soccer who say we are going to be the biggest football code in Australia.
IMHO Our game is in competition with that football code for players.
Perhaps it does not matter or does it if this set up is replicated across the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darebin_Falcons

Back