Official Club Stuff New Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer - David Stevenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I understand that the CEO is a business position.

My concern is that a guy coming in with a purely business background will only be interested in dollars and cents and may not be concerned with the human side of the football club. I’m not sure you run an organisation built on members in the same ruthless and uncaring way you can a billion dollar corporation.

I genuinely hope that sports administration is a direction he wants his career to move into and not just a stepping stone back to Melbourne and onto his next business role.

It is only a minor concern but a concern none the less. I take solace in the fact that I trust Peter Gordon to be sure that he is not putting our club in the hands of someone who would sell out the interests of the fans to show a big dollar differential on his resume for his next potential employer.

Really hoping that this appointment is as succesfull as most of our other moves of recent times, as we are entering a period that will be pivotal to the future of our club.
In the article on our website, it states that he is a Melbourne supporter :)eek:) and has played a few years of local amateur footy. That's important to me. He hasn't just been a corporate hotshot his entire life and instead knows what football is like at a supporter and grassroots level. Also mentioned that he wants to spend the second half of his career to make a difference in the AFL and the Bulldogs suggesting he wants to be in sports admin for the long haul. I know their just words but ill take them at face value.

Terrific appointment :cool:

These comments from Peter Gordon are exactly why I really like this appointment.

“It’s fair to say there were some more ‘steady-as-she-goes’ candidates than Dave. Dave is definitely not a steady-as-she-goes choice. Instead, we believe he represents a transformational opportunity for the Club. We want to make a permanent move out of the basement of the AFL – size-wise, profit-wise and success-wise. We have opted for the candidate who provides us with the best prospect of achieving that.

“If you look at our key appointments and priorities in recent times; Rob Murphy a captain, Luke as senior coach, the acquisition of Tom Boyd, the re-signing of Roughy, Dahl, Jake and Jackson, the Ballarat initiative, the re-development of the Victoria University Whitten Oval and Dave as CEO… we hope that two things come through — one, we prioritise quality and integrity and two, we are not risk-averse.”

My thoughts as well Mambavino. We made the appointment for the right reasons. Best of luck to Dave - it's over to him to deliver now (...well in August when he gets his bum in the seat.)

Well I'd want a new team if I followed the Demons as well. Esp a guy who's favourite player is Liam Picken, not many of those types at the Dee's.

Already have my nephews converted to Bulldogs from their Melbourne supporting father. :)

It is only a minor concern but a concern none the less. I take solace in the fact that I trust Peter Gordon to be sure that he is not putting our club in the hands of someone who would sell out the interests of the fans to show a big dollar differential on his resume for his next potential employer.

Really hoping that this appointment is as succesfull as most of our other moves of recent times, as we are entering a period that will be pivotal to the future of our club.
There's a fair chance that his contract will contain significant performance bonuses which would be based on a balanced scorecard of objectives, including some or all of the following -
financial management (the annual bottom line, the residual debt, assets, the long term financial trajectory)
club growth (members, assets, engagement),
football operations,
making headway with AFL on vexed issues like equalisation, fair fixtures and stadium deals,
public image and general engagement with the fanbase/members/community.​

Last edited:
He certainly speaks well, even if his speech is peppered with words like "leveraging". As has been noted, he has picked up the line that we've been pushing on BF for a few years - that we don't want to be anyone's "second favourite" team (and Bevo stated it recently too). I particularly liked the ambition - the swagger even - in saying that we want to grow the club and its revenue to the point where we are contributors to the equalisation fund, rather than recipients. I also like the unselfconscious spruiking of the talents of our young squad.

Of course, these statements need to be backed up by strong vision and management, hard work, consistency and integrity, but they show great leadership. They help renew the faith and bind everyone to the club. They put all the onlookers - clubs, the AFL, media, the general public - on notice. Our sponsors should also be pretty happy.

The agenda has now been set by the president, the coach, the captain and the CEO. There is to be no cringe mentality. No feeling of "we're from Footscray so I guess we'll have to be happy with the crumbs from the table". No more just making up the numbers and hoping for an occasional finals appearance. Instead we want to be the professional, dynamic, successful club that everyone wants to emulate or be a part of. Think Hawthorn of the last 35 years.

To be completely honest I'm getting sick of the "We don't want to be peoples second favourite team" line. It sounds like an agenda pushed by Gordon based on years of being a dogs fan, and is completely un-natural coming out of Bevo and especially our new CEO's mouth.

I have no problem being peoples second favourite team, and we have bigger fish to fry than making people not like us.

To be realistic with guys like Bontempelli, Stringer, Dalhaus people are still going to like us when we are pushing for flags. Most football purists didn't hate Geelong, just appreciated them for their brilliance.

Let's just worry about winning flags. If people hate us or love us, who cares.

There's a fair chance tha his contract will contain significant performance bonuses which would be based on a balanced scorecard of objectives, including some or all of the following -
financial management (the annual bottom line, the residual debt, assets, the long term financial trajectory)
club growth (members, assets, engagement),
football operations,
making headway with AFL on vexed issues like equalisation, fair fixtures and stadium deals,
public image and general engagement with the fanbase/members/community.​
I definitely hope this is a key criteria.

Can't help but love what has happened so far this season. The thing that stands out that I love is that we are trying to be the innovator, not the imitator all across the board. I agree we should wait to see before judging his appointment but can't help but be excited about the possibilities he could bring!

To be completely honest I'm getting sick of the "We don't want to be peoples second favourite team" line. It sounds like an agenda pushed by Gordon based on years of being a dogs fan, and is completely un-natural coming out of Bevo and especially our new CEO's mouth.

I have no problem being peoples second favourite team, and we have bigger fish to fry than making people not like us.

To be realistic with guys like Bontempelli, Stringer, Dalhaus people are still going to like us when we are pushing for flags. Most football purists didn't hate Geelong, just appreciated them for their brilliance.

I've been pushing that line for years.

But I think you've missed the point. It's not about actively trying to get people to not like us. It's just a by-product of being a successful team. Where we are now is the antithesis of that.

Your example of Geelong is a good one because it's not as subjective as the WB. A few years ago most of us wished the Cats well because they weren't one of the ruling clique and had been starved of success. Most importantly they had never really been a threat to our team. Now that they have won 3 flags and been perennial preliminary finalists we can't wait for them to slide and take their turn down in the cellar. Nobody is wishing them well any more. It's a marker of being a successful club.

That's where I want us to be and that's what PG, Bev and Stevo are on about.

Yes, I understand that the CEO is a business position.

My concern is that a guy coming in with a purely business background will only be interested in dollars and cents and may not be concerned with the human side of the football club. I’m not sure you run an organisation built on members in the same ruthless and uncaring way you can a billion dollar corporation.

I genuinely hope that sports administration is a direction he wants his career to move into and not just a stepping stone back to Melbourne and onto his next business role.

I'm not having a go at you personally, as you've clearly stated it's only a minor concern of yours, but really, this club does not suffer from a lack of humanity (or humility).

I would much rather someone with extensive managerial experience at possibly the most influential world-wide organisation in sports outside of the actual governing bodies themselves, as opposed to another Simon Garlick, whom everyone can feel warm and cuddly about for having played at the club.

I'm sure that Stevenson understands better than most that keeping key stakeholders, such as members, invested and happy is critical to the success of any organisation. I also don't see how a "big dollar differential" could only be achieved by "sell[ing] out the interest of the fans". It's specifically in the fans' interests for this club to be as financially successful as possible. Financial growth allows for increased investment in the football department which directly improves the likelihood of putting a successful team on the park. That's what every member wants.

I wonder if he knows my cousin, Michael Jordan.

True story: I used to tell my very naive Year 7s at Parade College when they first started in my class that Michael Jordan was my third cousin twice removed(whatever that means). Many of them believed it. Some were unsure. Only a few knew I was errr... misspeaking. During the first Parent/Teacher conference that year I was asked by parents a few times if it were true. :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been pushing that line for years.

But I think you've missed the point. It's not about actively trying to get people to not like us. It's just a by-product of being a successful team. Where we are now is the antithesis of that.

Your example of Geelong is a good one because it's not as subjective as the WB. A few years ago most of us wished the Cats well because they weren't one of the ruling clique and had been starved of success. Most importantly they had never really been a threat to our team. Now that they have won 3 flags and been perennial preliminary finalists we can't wait for them to slide and take their turn down in the cellar. Nobody is wishing them well any more. It's a marker of being a successful club.

That's where I want us to be and that's what PG, Bev and Stevo are on about.
I don't see having success and being liked as mutually exclusive.

I don't dislike Geelong or Hawthorn who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships and I hate Essendon and Carlton who haven't gotten close since 2001. Maybe that's just me.

Regardless maybe a better line is to say we want to go from being peoples number 2 to number 1. Get a message out to the football world that everyone's welcome aboard the Bulldog bus and maybe we can win a few over.

In any case being 'not liked' shouldn't be our maxim, just; as you said a by product that we couldn't care less about.

I guess we have our slogan for 2016 "JUST DO IT" probably got a copy right issue but after 61 years waiting for a flag cannot think or a more apt term

Can't help but love what has happened so far this season. The thing that stands out that I love is that we are trying to be the innovator, not the imitator all across the board. I agree we should wait to see before judging his appointment but can't help but be excited about the possibilities he could bring!
This is a brilliant appointment by the club. This guy could have his choice of roles around the world, but wants to bring his family back to Melbourne. He still wants a challenge and he certainly has one at the Bulldogs, but he has bought in to Gordon's vision.
He is a very smart guy and would have considered this move very very carefully and believes there is a good chance of success. A premiership and & 50k members presents the ultimate challenge. If he can add these to his CV he can take his choice of any sports admin role in Australia. Stevenson is a winner, and has backed himself and the Bulldogs to succeed.
I've been a member for 35 years and the future has never looked more promising. Exciting times ahead!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not having a go at you personally, as you've clearly stated it's only a minor concern of yours, but really, this club does not suffer from a lack of humanity (or humility).

I would much rather someone with extensive managerial experience at possibly the most influential world-wide organisation in sports outside of the actual governing bodies themselves, as opposed to another Simon Garlick, whom everyone can feel warm and cuddly about for having played at the club.

I'm sure that Stevenson understands better than most that keeping key stakeholders, such as members, invested and happy is critical to the success of any organisation. I also don't see how a "big dollar differential" could only be achieved by "sell[ing] out the interest of the fans". It's specifically in the fans' interests for this club to be as financially successful as possible. Financial growth allows for increased investment in the football department which directly improves the likelihood of putting a successful team on the park. That's what every member wants.
That's ok, I'm not taking it personally.

I'm not questioning the mans experience, merely pointing out that the corporate world is a different beast to sports administration.

There is a significant difference between members of a footbal club and share holders in a company. Most share holders couldn't care less if a company was liquidated or merged or relocated if that was what was best for the bottom line. None of those things would go down so well with us.

I also never said that big dollar differentials can only be achieved by selling out the interest of the fans, but there is always scope for a club to make money by selling games and the like, and while I understand that this is part of us being financially succesfull it is not always in the fans best interests. There needs to be a balance.

I'll admit that I have very little knowledge or even interest in corporate governance, but I just wanted to raise some (as I said minor) concerns I have with the appointment.

I would love to hear the opinions of some people who have more background in this sort of stuff.

This is a brilliant appointment by the club. This guy could have his choice of roles around the world, but wants to bring his family back to Melbourne. He still wants a challenge and he certainly has one at the Bulldogs, but he has bought in to Gordon's vision.
He is a very smart guy and would have considered this move very very carefully and believes there is a good chance of success. A premiership and & 50k members presents the ultimate challenge. If he can add these to his CV he can take his choice of any sports admin role in Australia. Stevenson is winner, and has backed himself and the Bulldogs to succeed.
I've been a member for 35 years and the future has never looked more promising. Exciting times ahead!!!!
Just want to highlight this post as a way of explaining my point.

I really hope that the highlighted is what David will be judging his success in this role by, and not the sort of things most CEO's would be hanging their hats on in the corporate world.

I don't see having success and being liked as mutually exclusive.

I don't dislike Geelong or Hawthorn who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships and I hate Essendon and Carlton who haven't gotten close since 2001. Maybe that's just me.

Regardless maybe a better line is to say we want to go from being peoples number 2 to number 1. Get a message out to the football world that everyone's welcome aboard the Bulldog bus and maybe we can win a few over.

In any case being 'not liked' shouldn't be our maxim, just; as you said a by product that we couldn't care less about.

You're right.

My view on the "we don't want to be everybody's second favourite team" angle.

1. We don't want to everybody's second team, we want to be people's number one team.
2. We have to shed the unlucky losers tag.
3. We shouldn't seek to be hated, but to be feared.

We can still be feared and be the team that everybody wants to have success (i.e Swans in 2005).

As for the new CEO, I think it's a watershed moment for the club. Great appointment on the surface.

Just want to highlight this post as a way of explaining my point.

I really hope that the highlighted is what David will be judging his success in this role by, and not the sort of things most CEO's would be hanging their hats on in the corporate world.
I think if he was driven solely by corporate KPIs he wouldn't be coming to the Bulldogs. This is his chance to be part of an incredible sporting story. My guess is having seen sport up close all around the world, he likes the idea of taking a small club to the top.

He is a very smart guy and would have considered this move very very carefully and believes there is a good chance of success. A premiership and & 50k members presents the ultimate challenge. If he can add these to his CV he can take his choice of any sports admin role in Australia. Stevenson is a winner, and has backed himself and the Bulldogs to succeed.

Congratulations to the Bulldogs!! You've got what it takes to make decisions that are a bit outside the square. New CEO , new coach and new captain. Time will tell how brilliant these appointments are. Over at the Crows, we have the the same new trio (CEO from rugby union), and its working well for us, though it's early days, its really exciting. Doggies are my second favourite team but I hope I really hate your guts, soon.

Congratulations to the Bulldogs!! You've got what it takes to make decisions that are a bit outside the square. New CEO , new coach and new captain. Time will tell how brilliant these appointments are. Over at the Crows, we have the the same new trio (CEO from rugby union), and its working well for us, though it's early days, its really exciting. Doggies are my second favourite team but I hope I really hate your guts, soon.
Thanks mate. After sitting through the 97 & 98 prelims I can honestly say Crows are my second favourite SA side.

I think a big part of Stevo's job will be ensuring Edgewater goes well. My only concern is that we have two non football people in the top 2 positions (Graham Lowe and Stevo). I'd like to see a footy person in Lowe's role personally to get that balance.

Can't knock Stevo's resume. Rather a business person in charge than what we had though (no offence to Simon).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back