Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Josh Thomas says Jets didn’t coach him
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
thomas.jpg
Getty Images
Apparently, the Jets didn’t tell cornerback Josh Thomas, “Don’t let your playbook be stolen.” They apparently didn’t tell him other things, too.

Claimed Wednesday on waivers by the Lions after being cut by the Jets on Tuesday, Thomas met with the media and talked about the things he didn’t learn about in New York.

“I feel like I wasn’t given the attention necessary as far as being engaged from the coach-to-player standpoint and knowing the things I need to work on,” Thomas said, via Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com. “It became where I was there as a player and wanting and desiring some feedback that wasn’t given. So sometimes I may have been standing there with a [deer-in-headlight] look in my eyes trying to figure out what I needed to do.

“So at the same time, just from the past experiences, every organization operates differently — so it could be the way that the Jets operate. I just want to be great. I want to get better every day. I look forward to enhancing something about my game every day, and [the Jets] were just more independent there.”

So what was his reaction to the first day in Detroit?

“It was refreshing, like, ‘Thanks for coaching me,'” Thomas said.

If the Lions make it to the playoffs, the message to the Jets could be, “Thanks for cutting me.”

Which could give other Jets players an idea. An idea that could lead to a lot more playbooks being lost.

Good to see the NFL looking after the good ol' Patriots. Gray was down by contact before he broke the plane of the end zone, and then there's the issue of the first down call. :rolleyes:

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Woody Johnson has a few regrets and he was sure to mention several of them during his Black Monday press conference regarding the departures of General Manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan.

Near the top of the list was the decision to hire Idzik before the 2013 season while keeping Ryan on board, a move that may have limited interest from some other candidates for the general manager job and one that Johnson says he thinks about differently “in retrospect.” Johnson said that he’s not sure if there was a disconnect between Ryan and Idzik, but intimated that things didn’t work well when he said that the relationship between the men in those jobs has to be “mutual” and that Ryan didn’t get players that fit his scheme.

Johnson also expressed some regret about the team’s offseason work. He said that Idzik had a plan that led to the team having a mountain of cap space, but that the team “probably” should have spent more money.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Along with HC & GM I have no idea what the Jets can do next season with the QB situation. Keeping Geno is untenable but almost the only option. They can draft a QB in 2nd-4th round but no way that guy (whoever it is ) should be starting. There is also a dearth of QB's available on the market or through FA who would be any better options than Geno. Bradford? Moore? Flynn? Who else is possibly there to allow them to go a new direction at ditch Geno?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I posted this on a Jets forum yesterday

I don't know anything about Maccagnan or Bowles for that matter and I'm still relatively new to the NFL (been following the Jets for about 5 years now).

I just read the NY Post article re: Maccagnans appointment and one thing that worries me is it states both Maccagnan and the new HC will report directly to Woody with no chain of command between them. This does not create an environment for a healthy working relationship, nor for good governance, and I have my queries on Woody's capability as a "football guy" to have the knowledge to be able to directly manage both of them.

We'll have to see how it plays out I guess but my Aussie Rules team has previously had a similar situation with the Coach and the head of the Football Department (which is the head of the other coaching/fitness staff) both reporting through to the CEO who did not have the capability or football knowledge to manage things effectively and the club had its worst period in its 150 year history which it still hasn't come out of finishing second last in 2014.

Which Jets forum, can I ask? JetsInsider was sold to Scout.com and although I had the best intentions, I found the Scout.com format to be neolithic. I've jumped across to The Hampur, which was founded by some JetsInsider members (the name is actually taken from a sub-forum on the Jetsinsider forum). It's 18+, but it's a good cross-section of knowledgeable posters (the draft section is really good) and some thrust & parry amongst posters. We even tolerate some Patriots supporters for comedic purposes.

http://newyorkjetshampur.com/board/5/new-york-jets-runway-24

Mac-Daddy has cleaned house since joining the Jets. Gone are Rod Graves and Terry Bradway. Idzik hired Graves to help evaluate college-level talent and run the draft. Based on the disaster of the last draft (IMO), it's unsurprising to see Maccagnan fire him. Bradway is a former NYJ GM who somehow kept his job when Tannenbaum was hired to be the Jets' GM (presumably, as Bradway has a personnel background he was meant to help Tanny with talent evaluation).

He's also hired all his former Jets staff (save Marty). David Lee is the QBs coach. Given his sterling work with Geno Smith over the last couple of seasons, Manuel is a mortal lock to go to the Pro Bowl :drunk: Sanjay Lal is the wide receivers coach in Buffalo, so anyone who took Sammy Watkins in a dynasty draft might as well trade him for pennies on the dollar, given that Lal can't coach his way out of the paper bag.

The only one we could miss is Karl Dunbar, who coached the defensive line.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Which Jets forum, can I ask? JetsInsider was sold to Scout.com and although I had the best intentions, I found the Scout.com format to be neolithic. I've jumped across to The Hampur, which was founded by some JetsInsider members (the name is actually taken from a sub-forum on the Jetsinsider forum). It's 18+, but it's a good cross-section of knowledgeable posters (the draft section is really good) and some thrust & parry amongst posters. We even tolerate some Patriots supporters for comedic purposes.

http://newyorkjetshampur.com/board/5/new-york-jets-runway-24

Its the Gang Green forum, was one of the first ones I found when googling Jets forums a couple of years back. They have a couple of Pats, Bills and Phins posters as well. I'll check out the one you've linked and see if it's any better.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I am genuinely stunned how happy Bills fans are with Rex. Seriously shocked.

They already had a pretty decent D, he's gonna make them a prick to play against even if they're O is gonna struggle without a new QB though wouldn't be surprised if they go for someone like Cutler. He'll love playing the Pats and will now have that same mentality against us so you know they're gonna be competitive in their Divisional games. If I were them I'd be pretty happy too as long as they can score a decent OC.

Yeah I loved him but holy * were we lacking discipline and we got blown out more than everyone but the raiders over the past six years. Everyone is underrating our O from his first three years. Sanchez was the only weak link there besides the receivers in his first year.

Back