Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the Gang Green forum, was one of the first ones I found when googling Jets forums a couple of years back. They have a couple of Pats, Bills and Phins posters as well. I'll check out the one you've linked and see if it's any better.

I'm "Aussie Jet", if you join up.

Woody Johnson: Reserving cash for the future not part of Jets’ makeup
Posted by Josh Alper on January 29, 2015, 8:45 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm0ytbjztkzn2zhnwiyodkwy2e4yzjkmgizztm1mge1.jpeg
Getty Images
When Jets Owner Woody Johnson was asked last season about then-General Manager John Idzik’s decision to hold onto some $20 million in cap space, he defended Idzik by saying that he approved of Idzik’s approach without mandating it.

Johnson also mentioned that he believes you should always have cash in reserve by never spending your last dollar. A few months can make a big difference. Whether because of the team’s results or a change in personal economic theory, Johnson has changed course.

During an interview with ESPN Radio in New York on Wednesday, Johnson reiterated that he didn’t direct Idzik to sit on his money and said that he now does not believe in the reserve approach he previously espoused.

I’m not going to say to him, ‘Save it.’ That’s ridiculous. We’re in this to win it,” Johnson said. “We’re in the win business. Reserving firepower in terms of cash for some future date is not part of the makeup of the New York Jets. We will spend what we are allowed to spend, to try to make us as competitive as we can be.”

New General Manager Mike Maccagnan has already said he plans to be “very active” in free agency this offseason and it seems that he’ll have no problem convincing Johnson to return to the freer spending ways of the years before Idzik implemented his more austere approach to running the team. That might turn out to be good news for cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who was purged last year for cap reasons but hits free agency off a rebound in Arizona with thoughts of a Jets reunion on his mind.

What are everyones draft hopes?
For me it's a QB or WR, Mariota or Cooper, if both are gone not sure who to take.

Went through this exercise on a NY Jets fan forum. Here are my six players, though I haven't yet settled on an order for preference as to whom I want Mac-Daddy to draft.

Amari Cooper
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Shane Ray
Randy Gregory
DeVante Parker

Also under consideration - Brandon Scherff and Andrus Peat.

My personal view is that if one or both of Mariota and/or Winston drop, the Jets will take the QB over any other position, even if the Jets sign a veteran FA QB.

Kevin White would be a good pick if you want a WR

Yes, I'm not entirely convinced that Cooper is the first WR off the board. A lot of mocks are giving Cooper to the Raiders. I don't know much about Kevin White at this stage, but there's a growing line of thinking that Devante Parker might leapfrog Cooper and be the first WR off the board come the draft.

Yes, I'm not entirely convinced that Cooper is the first WR off the board. A lot of mocks are giving Cooper to the Raiders. I don't know much about Kevin White at this stage, but there's a growing line of thinking that Devante Parker might leapfrog Cooper and be the first WR off the board come the draft.
I think I might have said something similar in the Draft thread.

Agree completely.

Do you guys reckon you keep harvin

If the Jets pick up a free agent wide receiver he will be cut. If he doesn't agree to restructure his contract if the Jets ant to keep him he'll be cut. Cutting him means the Jets give up a 6th round pick. Keeping him means we give up a 4th round pick.

If the Jets pick up a free agent wide receiver he will be cut. If he doesn't agree to restructure his contract if the Jets ant to keep him he'll be cut. Cutting him means the Jets give up a 6th round pick. Keeping him means we give up a 4th round pick.

Plus his up for 10mill this year isn't he. Lot of coin but then again if he can capture his form its not like the jets are in a position to give away playmakers. Surely he won't be getting close to that anywhere else though after his alledged previous attitude problems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players reported to have met with the Jets during the Combine.

The Jets get to formally interview 60 of the more than 300 players scheduled to participate in the combine for 15 minutes. But they'll also talk to a number of prospects informally. Here is a list of players confirmed for talks with the Jets. It will be updated throughout the week as more names are added. Credit to NFL.com and to NFL Draft Scout for scotuing details on each player.

• Jameis Winston, Florida State, QB
Winston could be the top pick overall.

• Marcus Mariota, Oregon, QB
Mariota, like Winston, is the only quarterback projected to go in the first round. He could also be a trade chip.

• Kenny Bell, Nebraska, WR
The 6-foot-1, 197-pound Bell is a projected late-round pick. He also has an outstanding Afro.

• Devin Funchess, Michigan, WR
Funchess is big (6-4, 232) and can be dangerous after the catch, but drops are an issue. Projected first or second rounder.

• Keith Mumphrey, Michigan State, WR
Mumphrey is considered a hard worker, but he sometimes struggles to get open.

• Brandon Bridge, South Alabama, QB
The Ontario, Canada, native is a late-round prospect. He said he met with Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo on Wednesday night.

• Tre McBridge, William & Mary, WR
Has drawn comparisons to the Patriots' Brandon LaFell, but also said to lack acceleration.

• Brandon Scherff, Iowa, OL
A likely top 10 pick capable of playing inside and outside.

• Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M, OT
CBSSports.com's NFL Draft scout has a third-round grade on him.

• Michael Burton, Rutgers, FB
Per NFL.com, Burton lacks the size and blocking ability to be a full-time fullback, but he can catch passes and could have value as a special teamer.

• Bud Dupree, Kentucky, OLB
One of the top edge rushers in the draft. Projected first rounder.

• Jamison Crowder, Duke, WR
Crowder clocked an (unofficial) time of 4.56 in the 40. Projected second rounder.

• Leon Orr, Florida, DT
Orr once left the team after being told he wouldn't start a game. Considered an athletic interior D-lineman who could go in the late rounds.

• Marcus Peters, Washington, CB
Projected first- or second-rounder who plays with physicality but was kicked off the team at Washington after frequently butting heads with coaches.

• Landon Collins, Alabama, SS
The top safety prospect in the draft, Collins is a possible top 10 pick.

• Shaq Thompson, Washington, OLB
Thompson is considered to be one of the top three outside linebackers in the draft.

• Shane Ray, Missouri, DE
More info on him here.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/players_to_visit_with_jets_at_2015_nfl_combine.html

Don't mind Spiller, CJ needs to be replaced but there are more pressing needs that need to be addressed. Any good corners as Free agents?

Lot of speculation that the Jets will chase Byron Maxwell (though I've read that Philly are in the lead to secure him when free agency opens), Cromartie (who has publicly begged essentially to move back to NY), Kareem Jackson and Chris Harris. If the Patriots can't restructure Revis' contract, then the Jets will surely chase him.

Having so much cap room is a blessing and a curse. It gives us room to chase some good players and lock in some people we need to keep, but it also runs a risk of overpaying and being too loose with the cap space just because we can. Hope those new people in charge of the roster management know what they're doing.

Marshall and Revis are two huge signings that address two weaknesses.

If Geno can find his best form we should be looking at a much, much more competitive team next year. We know the D-line is good, the running game is solid, a fully fit Decker, Marshall and Kerley is a decent 3 to be throwing at, and with Revis at corner that helps a lot too.

The biggest issue is ball security from the QB spot, but if that gets sorted we will be okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back