New Zealand overlooked for Boxing Day Test

Remove this Banner Ad

They probably want their own Boxing Day test.

The other nine boards don't exist solely to serve Victorian cricket fans.

It's NZ who are asking to play in the Boxing Day Test at the MCG,not Australia asking for them to play.

Read the article?

"I think every New Zealand cricketer dreams of playing in the Boxing Day Test match," New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White told Fairfax Media on Tuesday.
"We haven't played in it for many, many years and I'm not sure that's going to happen in the near future - it's not going to happen this year. But it's something that we're pushing and something that our cricketers would dream of playing."

we're very used to being shabbily treated by the Australian cricket board.
  • Australia didn't play us in a cricket series until 1973-74 !
  • haven't played a one day series for 5 years
  • last boxing day test was in 1987 (if memory serves me correct)..should have won it too !
if we use rugby as a comparison...the Bledisloe is played annually. It draws massive crowds and its dragged Australian rugby (who was a very poor cousin in the 60's & 70's ) up to world class level. Its also created a rivalry which to Kiwi's, matches those against our traditional rivals the South Africans

Wouldn't be a huge stretch to think the same thing could happen with Trans Tasman cricket

I just want us to play more cricket in NZ, my second favorite country (behind SA) to watch test cricket. We haven't played there for ages.

Admittedly it's probably a few years back, but before everyone got greedy we announced the Chappell Hadlee series to be played annually at mutually convenient times between us - given there is just the ditch between us. Ben Horne (the next cretin in the Craddock, Dorries line) today in the little paper bags out McCullum's record against us in ODI's complete with comments from Davey that he is liable for a brain explosion. FFS we haven't played them since 2011 which would coincide with McCullum dumping the gloves and becoming and A1 bat. I know if I had to bet on who would have a brain explosion first it would be D Warner long odds on. Perhaps McCullum has scared eyes?

we're very used to being shabbily treated by the Australian cricket board.
  • Australia didn't play us in a cricket series until 1973-74 !
  • haven't played a one day series for 5 years
  • last boxing day test was in 1987 (if memory serves me correct)..should have won it too !
if we use rugby as a comparison...the Bledisloe is played annually. It draws massive crowds and its dragged Australian rugby (who was a very poor cousin in the 60's & 70's ) up to world class level. Its also created a rivalry which to Kiwi's, matches those against our traditional rivals the South Africans

Wouldn't be a huge stretch to think the same thing could happen with Trans Tasman cricket
Yeah, that was pretty shabby.

The two countries only played one "test" before that, that one-sided affair just after the war.

When I first started following cricket, New Zealand's national side was participating in our domestic one-day comp! And we thought so much of them that we sent our 2nd XI on a tour there in 69-70.

Admittedly it's probably a few years back, but before everyone got greedy we announced the Chappell Hadlee series to be played annually at mutually convenient times between us - given there is just the ditch between us. Ben Horne (the next cretin in the Craddock, Dorries line) today in the little paper bags out McCullum's record against us in ODI's complete with comments from Davey that he is liable for a brain explosion. FFS we haven't played them since 2011 which would coincide with McCullum dumping the gloves and becoming and A1 bat. I know if I had to bet on who would have a brain explosion first it would be D Warner long odds on. Perhaps McCullum has scared eyes?

At least McCullum has a brain to have an explosion with. Not something Davey boy has to worry about

McCullum has scored 3 double centuries(including a triple century) and another 190 odd in the last year or so.. so I think he can bat without his"brain exploding".
He's batting how he is at the moment (in theODI), because finally NZ has a middle order to back him up if it doesn't come off. If it does come off, it generally wins game for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that was pretty shabby.

The two countries only played one "test" before that, that one-sided affair just after the war.

When I first started following cricket, New Zealand's national side was participating in our domestic one-day comp! And we thought so much of them that we sent our 2nd XI on a tour there in 69-70.

From what I have read wasn't that one 'test' in 1946 (47?) not even considered a test match at the time?

And only got given test status later?

What we can and should do is have a tri-series (or even a quad series) most summers with New Zealand competing.

NZ can host their games at home and we can host our games at home so their is no problem with nobody attending neutral matches.

Because tri-series are much better than bilateral ODI series.

I do think we should try and make an Asia Cup style, competition with New Zealand and South Africa (and hopefully Zimbabwe) every few years.

What we can and should do is have a tri-series (or even a quad series) most summers with New Zealand competing.
When the Tri Series was becoming a bit stale 5-6 years back I posted an idea pretty much like this. Either a 4 or 5 team tournament with Aus, NZ and 2 or 3 visiting teams. Essentially at the time Australia was playing a tri series and NZ a bilateral series, so it would be combining those two series into one mini tournament.

In a 5-team series 70% of games would involve Aus or NZ. In a 4-team series 83% of the games involve Aus or NZ. On that basis a 4-team is probably better. Only 1 out of 6 neutral games to fill in, and you could always take that game to a rural venue like Canberra who will get behind any international cricket because they rarely see it.

And then a 3-game final, either in Aus or NZ if only one team makes it. Split 2/1 if both teams make it, the higher ranked team gets 2 finals, the lower 1.

Could be a bit of a hit if neither Aus or NZ make the final, but no different to the rare occasions that happened when Aus missed the Tri Series final.

In any event, ODI cricket outside of the world cup is in big trouble in Australia. Still king in in the subcontinent.

New Zealand Cricket exists to serve the wants of Victorian fans. How dare they ask to play on Boxing Day
Do you have any idea at all, or do you just enjoy going off half-cocked about Victorians?

As long as there's no India or Sri Lanka. I've seen enough of them over the last few summers to last me a lifetime.

but think of the money!
46848-scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

In any event, ODI cricket outside of the world cup is in big trouble in Australia.
World Cup interest and crowds tells me people are still keen on ODI cricket - IF we actually field our best available team.

West Indies will probably send their 10th best team to australia. Because most would have boycotted.

Rather have the kiwis playing on Boxing Day
They could send their best side and they still wouldn't get close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back