News Newbold Resigns to become an AFL Commissioner, Richard Garvey acting President

Remove this Banner Ad

142901_garvey.jpg

And let me introduce - Richard Garvey.

Garvey is (or was, until he joined the Hawthorn board) an Essendon supporter.

Putting that to one side, he's a former partner of KPMG (from memory) and presumably quite financially literate. Having heard him speak at a coterie function last year, I think he's well-placed to lead the club forward.

It's just odd timing that Newbold decided to step down effective immediately from the role, given that the club had an AGM not two and a bit months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just odd timing that Newbold decided to step down effective immediately from the role, given that the club had an AGM not two and a bit months ago.

Yes, having an acting President for an entire year doesn't seem congruent with this comment:

“The club is also on the verge of a possible shift to a new home in Dingley. This is a five to ten-year project and possibly the biggest decision the club will make in its history. I feel my decision to step aside will allow my successor to own and live this next chapter.
So will this be a year of fence-sitting, and no real decisions being made?

Why?

Items left on his agenda
- Dingley move
- Clarko contract.

Timing is unusual. Nice fluffy Club statement, but you sense something else it at play here.

It may be the Dank effect - everyone is under suspicion.

;)

We might finally get a president with a focus on not sacrificing customer service for the sake of profit.

As a business, Newbold was good. As a club, he was sloppy. A lot of the things the affect the members and fans were poorly run or dropped in quality while he was in charge.

He's lucky this was somewhat hidden by his Chris Scott-ing.

Inb4 i get critized because I don't link the team's premiership reign to him.

Yes, having an acting President for an entire year doesn't seem congruent with this comment:

“The club is also on the verge of a possible shift to a new home in Dingley. This is a five to ten-year project and possibly the biggest decision the club will make in its history. I feel my decision to step aside will allow my successor to own and live this next chapter.
So will this be a year of fence-sitting, and no real decisions being made?

I don't think so.

Under the agreement to acquire the Dingley property, the club has a period of due diligence before the acquisition is settled. The club has already established a committee led by one of the board members (not Newbold) to deal with the acquisition of the land and the development of the facilities at Dingley.

Although it's odd timing for Newbold to leave, I don't think the departure will affect the ongoing deliberations over Dingley.

We might finally get a president with a focus on not sacrificing customer service for the sake of profit.

As a business, Newbold was good. As a club, he was sloppy. A lot of the things the affect the members and fans were poorly run or dropped in quality while he was in charge.

IMO, Newbold simply perpetuated something that started during Kennett's time as club president.

In any event, based on my limited experience with being on boards, the board (including Newbold) is focused on setting the strategy for the club and ensuring that those in charge of implementing the strategy (both on-field and off-) implement the strategy and to hold them accountable.

Stuart Fox should be held accountable for the changes that negatively affect fans (such as rising membership prices for no discernible tangible value).

Inb4 i get critized because I don't link the team's premiership reign to him.

What do you mean, specifically? Personally I never warmed to him and agree re the success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back