News Newbold Resigns to become an AFL Commissioner, Richard Garvey acting President

Remove this Banner Ad

Garvey is (or was, until he joined the Hawthorn board) an Essendon supporter.

Putting that to one side, he's a former partner of KPMG (from memory) and presumably quite financially literate. Having heard him speak at a coterie function last year, I think he's well-placed to lead the club forward.

It's just odd timing that Newbold decided to step down effective immediately from the role, given that the club had an AGM not two and a bit months ago.

Could it be that he didn't want to give Clarko a very long contract and so he had to go?

Interesting that Chris Langford is standing down from the Commission in March. Is he still based in Sydney these days? Happy for Garvey to prove himself - but if any 'Hawthorn person' was to run against him then Chris Langford would be the perfect candidate.

That two of his sons are on the list could be seen as a conflict mind you.

Interesting that Chris Langford is standing down from the Commission in March. Is he still based in Sydney these days? Happy for Garvey to prove himself - but if any 'Hawthorn person' was to run against him then Chris Langford would be the perfect candidate.

That two of his sons are on the list could be seen as a conflict mind you.

Fairly sure Langford is still based in Sydney but flies in regularly into Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not step down prior to the December AGM and have the business of election of a new President on the agenda?

2 months later and he's leaving?
Either the Board don't want an outsider on as there is to be no election or something else has happened (departing to another organisation, personal reasons etc in which case you would think this would be announced) or in somewhat overnight fashion has lost the support of the board. Add up, this does not.

Not taking away from his contributions but his departure timing is extraordinarily strange.
Even if the decision was made in October 2015, they may have decided that 6-8 weeks (before AGM) wasn't the right time to announce it because a prospective candidate wouldn't be available until 2016.

Trying to make sense of the timing, I guess they want someone who is currently unavailable, to be available; therefore, they have Newbold hold onto the spot until now (knowing that Jack NewGuy will be available in July etc.), resign effective immediately & appoint the V.P. (Who knows how to lead a board) in an interim role for the rest of the year such that NewGuy & others have the opportunity to dream & plan for 8+ months as to what is best for our Club.

We'll select from Australia's (or perhaps O/S') best & brightest who have had ages to research & plan our Club's future.

Hopefully :)

Sadly, my family are still recovering from cyclone Yasi having destroyed everything we owned. Footy memberships and their like have taken a backstep for a few years until we have paid everything off.

Mate thats a while ago you guys must have got smashed. Were you still in Tully then? I was in Townsville. They got off pretty lightly there (Townsv) by comparison. Just lots of water.
Hope you can get on top of things and get some memberships happening again.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

But that would be an excellent bonus!

If the best man is a hawthorn man all good
Garvey says he is a Hawthorn man and he's actually at the club, has a good mind for finance and at the very least can keep the ship on course for an while

Mate thats a while ago you guys must have got smashed. Were you still in Tully then? I was in Townsville. They got off pretty lightly there (Townsv) by comparison. Just lots of water.
Hope you can get on top of things and get some memberships happening again.

Yeah we were in Feluga 6 km north of Tully. The centre of the eye actually went over feluga rather than tully. We lost everything we owned. The only things we still own from feb 2nd 2011 are the clothes we were wearing, and the two guitars that had survived in the car boot, because my son was playing guitar two nights earlier at a function and a torch we left the house with during the eye. The house was so badly destroyed we were not allowed to even enter the land to retrieve stuff for safety reasons. They just pushed it all, house and contents, onto the roadside and it was picked up. During the night of the cyclone, as the house was disintegrating we had resolved to get out while the eye was passing over. We made our way outside and had to move about a tonne of debris from the front of the house to get out, our car was pretty banged up (the garage had gone) but it was driveable. While clearing the debris, my son (userid on here skwunk) went back into the rubble to fine his hawks stuff. (scarfe, jumper with 15 on the back) a brown and yellow footy. We drove through flood water to a house down the road where we could see torchlight. We spent the rest of the night there (Myself my wife and the three kids)

The hawks had heard about skwunk and the re-entering the house (he was 9) they sent him and my other two kids a bunch of hawthorn stuff, including a copy of the 2008 GF which they have watched about a thousand times.

Sounds like some bright spart realised at the last minut that either procedure or just looking good meant newbold couldnt be hawks pres when the new gig is announced

First Evans and now Newbold at AFL HQ! Soon BF will be in conspiracy meltdown soon!

Yeah we were in Feluga 6 km north of Tully. The centre of the eye actually went over feluga rather than tully. We lost everything we owned. The only things we still own from feb 2nd 2011 are the clothes we were wearing, and the two guitars that had survived in the car boot, because my son was playing guitar two nights earlier at a function and a torch we left the house with during the eye. The house was so badly destroyed we were not allowed to even enter the land to retrieve stuff for safety reasons. They just pushed it all, house and contents, onto the roadside and it was picked up. During the night of the cyclone, as the house was disintegrating we had resolved to get out while the eye was passing over. We made our way outside and had to move about a tonne of debris from the front of the house to get out, our car was pretty banged up (the garage had gone) but it was driveable. While clearing the debris, my son (userid on here skwunk) went back into the rubble to fine his hawks stuff. (scarfe, jumper with 15 on the back) a brown and yellow footy. We drove through flood water to a house down the road where we could see torchlight. We spent the rest of the night there (Myself my wife and the three kids)

The hawks had heard about skwunk and the re-entering the house (he was 9) they sent him and my other two kids a bunch of hawthorn stuff, including a copy of the 2008 GF which they have watched about a thousand times.

Man thats a life changing experience. Would have been absolutely devastating...and frightening.
Are you mostly back on your feet...cause Yasi was a little while ago now? I imagine it would take some time after losing everything....and some things would be irreplaceable.
I have been through 2 cyclones and have no desire to ever experience a 3rd so I moved waaay south.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back