Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

just shame stuff by the Queensland Premier today.

In an attempt to avoid ownership of domestic violence she is calling for a national response. A simple question here......who is responsible for state police issues?

This is a very serious issue, with no silver bullet solution making it a hot political hot potato. but that does not mean it should be politicised and turned into the blame game.

He first measure was installing 300 cameras........wtf. I'm not against cameras but let's get real, they are not for the purpose of domestic violence.
Her second measure if nationalise the responsibility.

That's crap. Parents on other hand take the rational decision to take their kids out of private school after year 10 if they aren't that bright / going to uni etc. In my experience all that left private schools, left school ie didn't transfer to the state system.
So you admit that private school results are based on self-selection. We're making progress.

What is your experience of private schools based on?
I went to a private high school, I have children. I have friends who have children in private schools. I have investigated schools (private, state, state selective) for my children. I have friends who went to private schools. I live in this country.

I have a friend who teaches at a private school and when I raised this he was not shocked, he told me he was the bloke they sent to push kids out of OP track subjects.

Self selection. That is what private school results are, in part, based upon.

And when it comes to primary schools, private has been shown to be no better than state. Maybe because private primary schools don't push too many kids out?

Correlation isn't causation. Just because rich people are more likely to go to private schools it does NOT mean that sending a kid from a poorer area to a private school wont have a positive outcome compared to being in the state system.

Regardless if its all about parental income then Catholic schools shouldn't outperform state schools in the manner in which they do.
Postal code of residence. Not school.

So you admit that private school results are based on self-selection. We're making progress.

No that is crap. You have no statistical base for your argument, just a hatred of churches. The evidence strongly points out not just to a better education but far more importantly massive overachievement in terms of income over a lifetime. You going to deny that as well?

Below is just another reason for state school underperformance, the large number of students from a non English speaking background. Hardly the teachers fault, they just got screwed at the altar of multiculturalism.

Seriously Chief, I am all for individual choice, if you want to damage the chances of your children getting ahead in life, well that's no concern of mine.

Maybe because private primary schools don't push too many kids out?

Lol still peddling nonsense from the teachers union.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/the-sydney-schools-becoming-anglo-ghettos-20150824-gj69tv.html#ixzz3m5R4gwBr

Some of Sydney's most prestigious private schools have become Anglo-Australian ghettos as the education of high school students across the city is increasingly segregated along ethnic lines.

No that is crap. You have no statistical base for your argument, just a hatred of churches. The evidence strongly points out not just to a better education but far more importantly massive overachievement in terms of income over a lifetime. You going to deny that as well?

Below is just another reason for state school underperformance, the large number of students from a non English speaking background. Hardly the teachers fault, they just got screwed at the altar of multiculturalism.

Seriously Chief, I am all for individual choice, if you want to damage the chances of your children getting ahead in life, well that's no concern of mine.

Lol still peddling nonsense from the teachers union.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/the-sydney-schools-becoming-anglo-ghettos-20150824-gj69tv.html#ixzz3m5R4gwBr

Some of Sydney's most prestigious private schools have become Anglo-Australian ghettos as the education of high school students across the city is increasingly segregated along ethnic lines.
Do you have school age kids mate?

Do you have school age kids mate?

Nope, lots of nieces and nephews in Tas who are though (in any event it is hardly statistically sound to say that because I have kid in school that would make give me some great insight into education, it doesn't constitute a normal population). Some of them would have gone to state schools as I would have but the huge issue is that in Tas, schools are zoned. Some of the state schools are fine but some that draw from different catchment areas are very poor - ie state school closest to where I grew up. The same system operates in the UK. Schooling here is like house prices in Oz, huge topic of conversation because private schools aren't subsidised so trying to get your kid in a good school is a nightmare. They still have selective grammar schools which I think are a great idea. They aren't private (so no church influence Chief, he of unmatched wisdom) but produce outstanding results. They give poor kids the chance to escape the local schools.

Did this make the news in Oz? Graphics show Australia is one of the biggest proponents of school computers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34174796

Investing heavily in school computers and classroom technology does not improve pupils' performance, says a global study from the OECD

• Students who use computers very frequently at school get worse results
  • Students who use computers moderately at school, such as once or twice a week, have "somewhat better learning outcomes" than students who use computers rarely
  • The results show "no appreciable improvements" in reading, mathematics or science in the countries that had invested heavily in information technology
  • High achieving school systems such as South Korea and Shanghai in China have lower levels of computer use in school
  • Singapore, with only a moderate use of technology in school, is top for digital skills

Verbose way of saying no then, but I'm sure you know better.

Point is simple. Sending your kids to school doesn't invalidate numerous studies with large population samples.

"Private schools are full of snobby elitist knobs" and "Christians are all campaigners" are hardly great statistical arguments.

Nor is the nonsense put out be teachers unions that "private schools expel anyone who isn't doing well academically".

Then again Gough, some people don't think evidence is needed to reach a conclusion - see Wilson and Bringing Them Home.

Nope, lots of nieces and nephews in Tas who are though (in any event it is hardly statistically sound to say that because I have kid in school that would make give me some great insight into education, it doesn't constitute a normal population). Some of them would have gone to state schools as I would have but the huge issue is that in Tas, schools are zoned. Some of the state schools are fine but some that draw from different catchment areas are very poor - ie state school closest to where I grew up. The same system operates in the UK. Schooling here is like house prices in Oz, huge topic of conversation because private schools aren't subsidised so trying to get your kid in a good school is a nightmare. They still have selective grammar schools which I think are a great idea. They aren't private (so no church influence Chief, he of unmatched wisdom) but produce outstanding results. They give poor kids the chance to escape the local schools.

Did this make the news in Oz? Graphics show Australia is one of the biggest proponents of school computers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34174796

Investing heavily in school computers and classroom technology does not improve pupils' performance, says a global study from the OECD

• Students who use computers very frequently at school get worse results
  • Students who use computers moderately at school, such as once or twice a week, have "somewhat better learning outcomes" than students who use computers rarely
  • The results show "no appreciable improvements" in reading, mathematics or science in the countries that had invested heavily in information technology
  • High achieving school systems such as South Korea and Shanghai in China have lower levels of computer use in school
  • Singapore, with only a moderate use of technology in school, is top for digital skills
Did you read the article you quoted? Or did you just look for a random list of stats to support your deflection?

See date on article, you really aren't the sharpest knife in the draw.

Meanwhile, another great day for multiculturalism and the suppression of freedom of speech.

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...c-students-society-ultra-conservative-muslims

The Islamic students’ society at the London university attended by the militant known as Jihadi John is dominated by hardline, ultra-conservative believers who refuse to even speak with female Muslim staff members, according to an independent report into inclusion among students at the institution.

Complaints about the conduct of the University of Westminster Islamic society, some from other Muslims, tended to be ignored or underplayed because staff and student unions officials were worried about appearing Islamophobic, the inquiry found.

Simple: abolish religious schools.

Ah, force parents to send their kids to schools where ESL is common place. Yep, that would do wonders for their education.

Have you ever wonder Chief why despite massive increases in funding the UK's pisas score fell so much? I think we all know the answer to that. Its just a question of whether we are honest enough to admit it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nor is the nonsense put out be teachers unions that "private schools expel anyone who isn't doing well academically".
Straw man.

They don't do anything so obvious. They encourage children to take up other opportunities. They encourage children not to attend on certain test days. They guide/bully children out of OP track subjects.

And yes, sometimes they expel or suspend kids for things that they wouldn't expel the more sporting or academic kids for.

Lack of English effects educational outcomes just as it affects employment outcomes. It also affects others in the class as they get less attention. The UK pisa rankings have been affected by mass immigration despite massive funding increases. Its no wonder parents try to avoid state schools with a high ethnic %. That's not racism, that's common sense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...upils-speak-English-as-a-second-language.html

The number of schoolchildren speaking English as a second language has soared by a third in just five years amid fresh concerns that immigration may be putting a strain on the education system.

Official figures show that the number of pupils who speak another language in the home exceeded 1.1 million for the first time this year

In some parts of London, children with English as a second language now make up as much as three quarters of the school roll, with around half of pupils being classified in towns and cities such as Slough, Luton and Leicester

They encourage children not to attend on certain test days.

They encourage children not to attend on certain test days. They guide/bully children out of OP track subjects.

Lol, Chief you really have lost it. Another "Wilson" moment from you. Plenty of private schools make English, Maths etc compulsory up to grade 10 and encourage it at VCE/HSC etc.

I have NEVER heard of a private school encouraging children not to attend. Where are you getting all this from? It sound like absolute crap to me.

In fact your whole attitude to this is eerily reminiscent of ardent hand clapping God Botherers. The real fundie anti abortion types.

Lol, Chief you really have lost it. Another "Wilson" moment from you. Plenty of private schools make English, Maths etc compulsory up to grade 10 and encourage it at VCE/HSC etc.
You must not have read the part where my teacher friend told me he is the guy they send kids to. He is pretty matter-of-fact about it, and that his school is not the worst for this kind of thing.

But hey, it's gotta be all the brown people that are ruining it for the good white kids. Yeah. That's it.

You rant about statistics being unreliable, statistics can say whatever the people want them to say... then scour the web for stats that back up your uninformed opinion.

You know absolutely nothing. You're a fraud.

http://www.xyz.net.au/mainstream-media-narrative-vs-much-more-complicated-reality/

Mainstream media narrative: All migrants coming to Europe are fleeing civil war in Syria.

Reality: It is much more complicated. A large majority of them have no identification whatsoever. There is no way to prove they are all from Syria. One report suggests as few as 1 in 5 are from Syria, and video footage shows many are clearly from Africa, not the Middle East. Furthermore, the fact that so many are passing through peaceful countries which are relatively prosperous compared to their own, with the goal of getting to either Germany or England, belies their claim to be “refugees.”

http://www.xyz.net.au/mainstream-media-narrative-vs-much-more-complicated-reality/

Mainstream media narrative: All migrants coming to Europe are fleeing civil war in Syria.

Reality: It is much more complicated. A large majority of them have no identification whatsoever. There is no way to prove they are all from Syria. One report suggests as few as 1 in 5 are from Syria, and video footage shows many are clearly from Africa, not the Middle East. Furthermore, the fact that so many are passing through peaceful countries which are relatively prosperous compared to their own, with the goal of getting to either Germany or England, belies their claim to be “refugees.”

dat video too

#tension

Leadership strains within the 20-strong Nationals party room have intensified with the heir-apparent Barnaby Joyce accused of trying to hurry current leader Warren Truss out the door.

At issue is the highest rank attainable by a Nationals MP, that of Deputy Prime Minister.

It comes as Bill Shorten heads into the Nationals heartland on Saturday to hammer the message that the rural party is split over its leadership, beholden to the Liberals, and can no longer be regarded as the natural representatives of rural and regional Australia.

While Mr Joyce has denied disloyalty, angry pro-Truss Nationals say the man Tony Abbott had described as Australia's best "retail politician" seems to have concluded that his chances of securing the leadership are fading unless the change-over happens soon, meaning before the end of the year.

Some Nationals concede the later Mr Truss leaves it, the more time it allows for a younger alternative to emerge, with names like Michael McCormack and the marathon-running Darren Chester mentioned.

A Truss loyalist said Mr Joyce's working assumption that he would lead the party, and some less-than- subtle manouvreing, had offended neutral Nationals and engendered a new phenomenon, the ABBC or "anyone-but-Barnaby camp".

Those close to Mr Truss, 66, confirm he could decide to step down early next year. But, they stress, he might also decide to stay on.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...dership-of-the-nationals-20150925-gjurgf.html

THE United Nations has appointed an official of the Islamic State to the UN Human Rights Council.

The appointment is in keeping with the UN’s core value to embrace all religions and cultures in hope that some day everyone in the world will hold hands in a human daisy chain.

A spokesperson for the UN said that ISIS needed to be understood and respected under Article 55 of the United Nations charter : ‘Universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms for all, without distinction as to race, sex, language or religion.’
http://zanettisview.com/story/un-appoints-isis-on-human-rights-council-/389

s**t, they're dropping their standards, I read that even Australia might get a spot on this.

Yes Gough. If only we could keep up with Saudi Arabia who will head the UN body at the same time as engaging in public beheading of young kids whose crime was merely protesting in the street

#religionofpeace

Richard Glossip is due to be executed by Oklahoma later today (or very early tomorrow morning our time) and will be, barring the Supreme Court saving his skin, since the Oklahoma Court of Appeals has already rejected his appeal.

I'm not exactly secret about my opposition to the death penalty full stop, but his case is one of the most troubling American ones I've come across. I encourage people to read up on it.

There is something about the whole concept of the person who pulled the actual trigger/thrust the knife plea bargaining to save their own life and put someone else on the gurney in the process that is absolutely sickening.

The guy is being executed based on no physical evidence whatsoever. The concept that he could be executed in those circumstances is just bewildering to me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back