Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
IMO that comes down to the decision making quality of the player with ball in hand ....Mitchell gives the ball to the right player to provide that time ......others give to players flat footed who are immediately tackled ..as an example
They're very big on playing your role. Not only are they in good position, but the right players are in good position. You never see them handballing to the ruckman going through the corridor. They have the ultimate team structure. The right players in the most suited roles with very clear instructions.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
They're very big on playing your role. Not only are they in good position, but the right players are in good position. You never see them handballing to the ruckman going through the corridor. They have the ultimate team structure. The right players in the most suited roles with very clear instructions.

Hawthorn are not full of superstars .....yes they have good players ....but importantly every player plays his role and they're a great team .

Hawthorn are not full of superstars .....yes they have good players ....but importantly every player plays his role and they're a great team .
Isn't that what Craig was trying to achieve (and why we got called crow-bots?) Every player knew every role, and if one went down another knew what needed to be done... Or have I got that wrong?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Isn't that what Craig was trying to achieve (and why we got called crow-bots?) Every player knew every role, and if one went done another knew what needed to be done... Or have I got that wrong?
No you're correct ....and he was correct ....but he also was too rigid & process driven .....he ended up following AFL gamestyle changes instead of innovating the game

Craig always said he wanted AFC to be innovative ......he failed in this regard

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Isn't that what Craig was trying to achieve (and why we got called crow-bots?) Every player knew every role, and if one went done another knew what needed to be done... Or have I got that wrong?

Spot on. We just didn't take our chance in 05/06 and then lacked talent/willingness to evolve (read "stubborn") through 07-09.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would love to find the next S Burgoyne. It's no coincidence the bloke has played in 31 finals.

Regardless of who our new coach is and what their game plan is, it's quite clear the emphasis from a recruitment standpoint needs to be guys with elite decision making and good to elite disposal.

Also, how good is the leadership framework at the Hawks? Every single bloke who plays has a voice and if just one bloke drops the bundle every last one of them lets him know about it. Outstanding culture.

Frawley said something about that yesterday; with 10 minutes to go, he'd started relaxing and was just trying to soak it all in - another Hawk sprayed him and told him to get his head back on the game.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spot on. We just didn't take our chance in 05/06 and then lacked talent/willingness to evolve (read "stubborn") through 07-09.

Lacked the on the fly tactical nous of Clarkson, lost his ruthless streak with some of the players, and was flat out too stubborn and refused to deviate if things weren't working.

Look at the Hawks; they play different game styles based on opposition at times, they throw Frawley or Lake back if things aren't working, they pull strings based on what is actually happening, not what they want to be happening.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Frawley said something about that yesterday; with 10 minutes to go, he'd started relaxing and was just trying to soak it all in - another Hawk sprayed him and told him to get his head back on the game.
Whilst I like this mindset surely with 10 minutes you can allow yourself a moment.

Hell Geelong had a whole half according to some players.

Wouldn't have been used to that at Melbourne.

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
Can anyone imagine VB running through HBF/Mid in that Hawthorn team from yesterday?
It would be amazingly hilarious how bad he would be, he'd stifle their runs & constantly recieve bakes from their leadership group.
He wouldn't last 5 games without his card being permanently stamped, now you see that's the difference between mediocrity and going places.

Can anyone imagine VB running through HBF/Mid in that Hawthorn team from yesterday?
It would be amazingly hilarious how bad he would be, he'd stifle their runs & constantly recieve bakes from their leadership group.
He wouldn't last 5 games without his card being permanently stamped, now you see that's the difference between mediocrity and going places.

But, but, but he is playing a non-statistical role.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not. I rode the wave of emotion through to the semi but I've actually had a significant disconnect from it all since Walshy died. It'll come back but I don't know when and I won't force it.
I kept supporting our team as loud, but the moment they were out the race I realised how little this year meant to me anymore.

Just feels a little empty and trivial in the grand scheme of things compared to the loss of a man's life. I'll back the crows to get me back on board but at the moment I feel exhausted of football and reckon a break is imminent.

I kept supporting our team as loud, but the moment they were out the race I realised how little this year meant to me anymore.

Just feels a little empty and trivial in the grand scheme of things compared to the loss of a man's life. I'll back the crows to get me back on board but at the moment I feel exhausted of football and reckon a break is imminent.

It is certainly draining considering what we've had to endure as fans also.

creme_fraiche

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2013
WA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Bruins

Spot on.

This is the problem with our supporter base that too many individuals have completely lost. We've forgotten how to be ruthless as a club.

There's so many individuals on this board who bleat about 'van Berlo isn't that bad, he's unfairly criticised' or 'Mackay and Wright provide excellent depth' or 'Stop criticising Henderson, he might be soft but he has all the tools'.

We're out there arguing as to why plodders should be playing ahead of our youth and clubs like Hawthorn have just won a grand final whilst leaving their previous years norm smith medallist out because he didn't meet the standard.

Geelong have just added arguably the best mid in the comp whilst tapping blokes like Chapman and Johnson on the shoulder (arguably before time) and as much as I hate them, the Power have managed to sell themselves as a destination club.

We need to rediscover ruthlessness or forever be the bridesmaid.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spot on.

This is the problem with our supporter base that too many individuals have completely lost. We've forgotten how to be ruthless as a club.

There's so many individuals on this board who bleat about 'van Berlo isn't that bad, he's unfairly criticised' or 'Mackay and Wright provide excellent depth' or 'Stop criticising Henderson, he might be soft but he has all the tools'.

We're out there arguing as to why plodders should be playing ahead of our youth and clubs like Hawthorn have just won a grand final whilst leaving their previous years norm smith medallist out because he didn't meet the standard.

Geelong have just added arguably the best mid in the comp whilst tapping blokes like Chapman and Johnson on the shoulder (arguably before time) and as much as I hate them, the Power have managed to sell themselves as a destination club.

Excellent post.

We aren't harsh on our average players because we don't like them as people, we are harsh because we want to win and they don't help.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spot on.

Great post.

As is this one.

Look at Shane Savage, a few years ago, he looked fantastic; Hawks had the balls to trade him, for a specific need, and now they're laughing.

How many games do you think Mackay would've played for the Hawks?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isn't that what Craig was trying to achieve (and why we got called crow-bots?) Every player knew every role, and if one went down another knew what needed to be done... Or have I got that wrong?

I think the difference is that Craig thought that every player could slot in provided that they met underlying fitness requirements. Hawthorn recruit and retain players based on defined footballing attributes and then induct them into their system and philosophies.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Or Dmac and his fingertip tackles and getting thrown around like a dog toy when attacking a contested ball.

JimmyTheScoop

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
On Footy SA they are saying Don Pyke will be announced as our coach on Tuesday? Not sure how credible this show is.

On a side note, if I hear Brendon Bolton use anymore of Phil Walsh's sayings, "Players have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable", team first, elite standards... It was like he was reading straight from his script! Get your own stuff!

On Footy SA they are saying Don Pyke will be announced as our coach on Tuesday? Not sure how credible this show is.

On a side note, if I hear Brendon Bolton use anymore of Phil Walsh's sayings, "Players have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable", team first, elite standards... It was like he was reading straight from his script! Get your own stuff!

He'll get quirky next

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Hawthorn has recruited with an focus on guys that can kick a footy. I know this is talked about a lot but I think people still under estimate it. It makes a good coach look great.

Everyone talks about fitness and ground ball but if you can kick straight and not turn the ball over you have to do a lot less work. This was the difference between the sides in the first quarter today.
Correct! On top of that they targetted left footers as well. They have done it brilliantly! They traded out good players and went into a full rebuild mode. I am talking about Croad, Thompson, Rawlings et al. They then went on to draft well with early draft picks in Hodge, Lewis, Franklin, Roughead etc. This was them picking their framework and stars of the premiership team. They rest of the picks were used on somplementary players that were good kicks and they openly targeted left footers. Once they got the framework or foundation in place they drafted and trades players that would fill certain roles. The likes of Gunston, Rioli, Shoenmakers, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Puopolo, Smith, Lake, Frawley etc. again with emphasis being on decision making, good kicking and possibly left footers.

Just phenomenal team building exercise by a very good football club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back