Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, which is what I meant (if articulated in artfully). Look, that man forgot more footy than I will even ever hope to know but it seems pretty clear to me that he can no longer get teams ready for the comp. If this was a club that needed a boost in credibility--sure, you think about him and maybe kick the tires.

But we are not that club---I cringed when I read that his wife "wasn't going to Adelaide"....I got a flashback of Mike Holmgren being announced to lead the Browns organization---nobody wants that kind of flashback, trust me!

Might have been different though if Holmgren actually coached the Browns, it's like Phil Jackson at the Nicks, there's only so much you can do from the GM's chair.

He had success at Green Bay and in my opinion laid the frame work that turned the Seahawks from a lame duck "franchise" into a credible and respected team. He might most probably would have had more success at the Browns if he actually coached the side.

Mark Williams. Would he be interested in a director of coaching type role at the AFC?

Obviously had connections with PW and a lot of connections in SA. Probably would be reticent to move his family again tho.

Had to laugh at Malthouse saying he was interested.

I can really see the Crows beating his door down after he tried to put you in the gun for draft tampering re your recruiting of Betts.

He is seriously deluded.

That was about trying to spite triggy on the way out. He felt he is, how can I say this, not of typical afl club character, and for whom mick wouldn't have been on the way out if he did have some character. we were just collateral damage and he knew it wouldn't hurt us any, as he was just trying to use triggs loud trap (think trigg would have learned about this after his time with us) against him.

I haven't been following this thread much. What is the consensus on Campo? I have to admit, when he got announced as caretaker, I groaned, but the more I watch him in the press conferences and during the games, he has surprised me. He seems to exude this calm confidence. I expected a bumbling rookie that wasn't ready for the big time and I'm instead seeing a person who seems at home in the role. I'm starting to lean towards not being upset if he were given the job.

Problem is he's already in the frame at Carlton and they are way further down the track than we are obviously, also has a connection at Carllton with Assistant Rob Wiley having both been at the Weagles with Wiley being an assistant coach there for 7 of the 8 years Pyke played there.

He also has family in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have been different though if Holmgren actually coached the Browns, it's like Phil Jackson at the Nicks, there's only so much you can do from the GM's chair.

He had success at Green Bay and in my opinion laid the frame work that turned the Seahawks from a lame duck "franchise" into a credible and respected team. He might most probably would have had more success at the Browns if he actually coached the side.

Perhaps it was a bit of an apples to oranges comparison---but I guess the thought in my mind was that Holmgren didn't have the necessary drive to get in there and really get things done. I watched Mick the last year plus and for whatever reason he didn't coach with the same sense of urgency/passion---when he first went on 5AA after his firing he spoke like a man who lost that edge that great coaches have.

For me, his latest radio appearance sounded more like a guy who is bored and wants to find something to do to occupy his time then a guy we would want leading this team going forward. By no means am I saying he doesn't have a great footy mind---but there is much more to coaching then knowing the game. He just sounds like a guy whose wife is encouraging him to find a hobby---Adelaide is to good a club for that.

I watched Mick the last year plus and for whatever reason he didn't coach with the same sense of urgency/passion---when he first went on 5AA after his firing he spoke like a man who lost that edge that great coaches have.

For me, his latest radio appearance sounded more like a guy who is bored and wants to find something to do to occupy his time then a guy we would want leading this team going forward. By no means am I saying he doesn't have a great footy mind---but there is much more to coaching then knowing the game. He just sounds like a guy whose wife is encouraging him to find a hobby---Adelaide is to good a club for that.

I think its important to note Mick was just putting his hand up, almost begging to be considered, which is a bit sad in a way. I would be shocked if the club even called him, let alone seriously considered him. He's the most finished of all the finished coaches in AFL history.

Caro was the only journo who called it when we were into Phil Walsh. If she says we're into Don Pyke, we're into him in a big way. She's right, of all the potential coaches out there he's the best tactician, which is the biggest hole Walshy has left behind. I thought he wanted to be in WA for family reasons - if he was willing to move to Adelaide he would be my first choice, even more so if Woosha was to stay on as his mentor.

Caro was the only journo who called it when we were into Phil Walsh. If she says we're into Don Pyke, we're into him in a big way. She's right, of all the potential coaches out there he's the best tactician, which is the biggest hole Walshy has left behind. I thought he wanted to be in WA for family reasons - if he was willing to move to Adelaide he would be my first choice, even more so if Woosha was to stay on as his mentor.

Be an intriguing choice--wonder if you are on to something with Woosha staying on in some role in the background.

Be an intriguing choice--wonder if you are on to something with Woosha staying on in some role in the background.

Just looking up his history, he's coached a team in his own right (Claremont in 1999 and 2000), served on the WC board from 2001 thru 2004, was a highly regarded assistant to Neil Craig at the Crows in 2005 and 2006 before going back to Perth for business/family reasons. He's been responsible for "strategy, stoppages, and structure" at West Coast in 2014 and 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Pyke

There's a lot of good stuff in that CV whichever way you look at it. Success seems to follow him.

Very interesting that current head of football David Noble was also an assistant at the Crows during Pyke's time at the club and obviously he's a former premiership team mate of Worsfold's.

Pkye I believe still has strong family connections in Adelaide

Can anyone confirm?

That was about trying to spite triggy on the way out. He felt he is, how can I say this, not of typical afl club character, and for whom mick wouldn't have been on the way out if he did have some character. we were just collateral damage and he knew it wouldn't hurt us any, as he was just trying to use triggs loud trap (think trigg would have learned about this after his time with us) against him.
But it highlights why mick would be a mistake. Major loose cannon. He almost acts as bad at aker these days

Just looking up his history, he's coached a team in his own right (Claremont in 1999 and 2000), served on the WC board from 2001 thru 2004, was a highly regarded assistant to Neil Craig at the Crows in 2005 and 2006 before going back to Perth for business/family reasons. He's been responsible for "strategy, stoppages, and structure" at West Coast in 2014 and 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Pyke

There's a lot of good stuff in that CV whichever way you look at it. Success seems to follow him.

Very interesting that current head of football David Noble was also an assistant at the Crows during Pyke's time at the club and obviously he's a former premiership team mate of Worsfold's.

Not to mention that Roo played under Pkye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back