NFL off-season. Rumours, gossip and facts

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of good signings for Panton Hill in Nick Lowther and Nathan Hendry. Can any one supply some info on Jake Patterson from Lower Plenty who is heading in the same direction.
I hear on the grape-vine that there could be another couple of names to be added in the near future.
I just love this time of the year. Makes me wish I was 40 years younger, could forget about the crook knee and get the boots out of moth balls. Do they still make the nail in stops for the ankle high Jenkins?
Oh well, one can only dream.

A couple of good signings for Panton Hill in Nick Lowther and Nathan Hendry. Can any one supply some info on Jake Patterson from Lower Plenty who is heading in the same direction.
I hear on the grape-vine that there could be another couple of names to be added in the near future.
I just love this time of the year. Makes me wish I was 40 years younger, could forget about the crook knee and get the boots out of moth balls. Do they still make the nail in stops for the ankle high Jenkins?

The MOOSE

Any news on south morang at all? I jut saw that they are advertising for a 19s coach.. Pretty attractive job for a prospective coach after 17s winning the flag!! Would seem late to advertise though??

Hopefully your recruiting pays off a little better this year TK.

Mernda have set up a wonderful initiative next month by organising a footballers v cricketers 20/20 match at Schotters Road to assist with Josh Delaney's recovery from his horrific injury he sustained against St Mary's earlier in the year.

I urge everyone who has been/or are involved with the Mernda Football Club to come along, really is a great idea that has been thought up by the club. Should be a great night :thumbsu:

Mernda have set up a wonderful initiative next month by organising a footballers v cricketers 20/20 match at Schotters Road to assist with Josh Delaney's recovery from his horrific injury he sustained against St Mary's earlier in the year.

I urge everyone who has been/or are involved with the Mernda Football Club to come along, really is a great idea that has been thought up by the club. Should be a great night :thumbsu:
Any idea on the date for this fantastic event Tasman?

Jake Paterson? Son of Terry who was a stalwart player, coach and recruiter at Lower Plenty who passed away a few years ago. Jake has talent to burn, unfortunately I don't think he has the commitment levels to play a higher standard. I dare say that if he does play at Panton Hill, he may think that he can just cruise through. Hope not as it would be a severe waste of talent!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on south morang at all? I jut saw that they are advertising for a 19s coach.. Pretty attractive job for a prospective coach after 17s winning the flag!! Would seem late to advertise though??

The under 17's premiership coach from 2012 was appointed 19's coach but later accepted the senior job at Craigieburn. A suitable replacement was appointed over the cup weekend.

Bundy's website developers have done a "clean" job of superimposing Phil's head on a group shot. But the shot its missing Moorecroft. Are the rumours indeed true that he is playing in Westgarth correct?

The under 17's premiership coach from 2012 was appointed 19's coach but later accepted the senior job at Craigieburn. A suitable replacement was appointed over the cup weekend.
Very bad miss by South Morang. I can only wonder how successful they would be, if they secured the 'good' ones that enter their club.
They missed out on the current Whittlesea Footy Ops (19s coach) because of reasons I will not go into ...... now look at the signings and movement at the Eagles after this person has been at that club for 10 short months. They have missed and appointed 'off-filed' dreadfully over the past couple of season (in my opinion).
And this continues with losing out on the coach who managed to turn a team of individuals into a champion team during the 2012 U/17 season. Word was players would have stayed and played 19s if he was appointed. Word now is they will not stay - but I do know there is one club they will not go to, that being St Marys.
My on-going question about SMFC (& JFC) is how can the senior club get it wrong so many times and the Junior Club get it right time and time again. I do know the answer, but would love to hear others opinons.

Jake Paterson? Son of Terry who was a stalwart player, coach and recruiter at Lower Plenty who passed away a few years ago. Jake has talent to burn, unfortunately I don't think he has the commitment levels to play a higher standard. I dare say that if he does play at Panton Hill, he may think that he can just cruise through. Hope not as it would be a severe waste of talent!
Jake Patterson talents are suited to Division 3 standard. As mentioned, he doesn't have the commitment or self discipline required for someone with his body shape and lack of endurance & pace to play at a high standard. He does possess a great set of hands and rarely fumbles. This, coupled with his big backside makes him an outstanding potential star of a Divvy 3 forward line. However, that's just about as good as it will probably get for him.
Sit him inside 50 and he'll kick an average of 3-4 per game. Especially if Joffa takes the best backman.
Patto actually would make an ideal 'centreman' for Divvy 3 or even Divvy 2 standard football. However he'd need to get reasonably fit to play this role, and I do not see that happening. I am interested to see how this unfolds during 2013.

Very bad miss by South Morang. I can only wonder how successful they would be, if they secured the 'good' ones that enter their club.
They missed out on the current Whittlesea Footy Ops (19s coach) because of reasons I will not go into ...... now look at the signings and movement at the Eagles after this person has been at that club for 10 short months. They have missed and appointed 'off-filed' dreadfully over the past couple of season (in my opinion).
And this continues with losing out on the coach who managed to turn a team of individuals into a champion team during the 2012 U/17 season. Word was players would have stayed and played 19s if he was appointed. Word now is they will not stay - but I do know there is one club they will not go to, that being St Marys.
My on-going question about SMFC (& JFC) is how can the senior club get it wrong so many times and the Junior Club get it right time and time again. I do know the answer, but would love to hear others opinons.

I have some friends kids who play at SMJFC and they have told me that in the 5 years they have been involved, they have not had any contact with SMFC (senior, reservers , under 19 coaches) or players they feel like the senior club does not give a rats ar#e about the junior club or the kids comimg through.
So why would the kids go onto the senior club as there is no attachment to them.
Someone at the senior club needs to wake up and start getting stuck in with the kids as there is a fair amount of talent at the junior level which will go to other clubs when they get to the under 19 level.
Which is a sad inditement on SMFC when you consider that SMJFC are one of the largest junior clubs in the country with over 400 kids playing footy

I have some friends kids who play at SMJFC and they have told me that in the 5 years they have been involved, they have not had any contact with SMFC (senior, reservers , under 19 coaches) or players they feel like the senior club does not give a rats ar#e about the junior club or the kids comimg through.
So why would the kids go onto the senior club as there is no attachment to them.
Someone at the senior club needs to wake up and start getting stuck in with the kids as there is a fair amount of talent at the junior level which will go to other clubs when they get to the under 19 level.
Which is a sad inditement on SMFC when you consider that SMJFC are one of the largest junior clubs in the country with over 400 kids playing footy
Its amazing to think that there are high performing senior footy clubs in Div 1 who would "kill" to have a junior program as large, successful and proud as St Mary's juniors. Maybe this is a simple case of being taken for granted? Image in H'berg or Northcote were able to link up with this type of junior program!

Considering about 10 of the eligable 15 2012 under 17's who now qualify for open age football trained the first night of pre season on Monday i would have it at a guess you don't have a clue what you're talking about. As for your " friends " comments i can only speak for the current committee ( which i am a member of ) which has been pretty much the same people for the past 3 years. In that time together with both senior & junior coaches planning the under 16 & 17 squads both train before the open age squads on a Tues & Thurs then are rotated a few at a time to train with the open age sides. 3 lads played seniors last year & a couple the year before that. In my 16 years at South Morang the current relationship between the senior & junior committee's is at it's strongest. We sit down regulary to map out the future of both clubs moving forward together.

This i can promise you is fact. Together with council planned upgrades & extensions in the next 12 months the South Morang senior & junior clubs ( both football & cricket ) will continue to grow as one for years to come.

Its amazing to think that there are high performing senior footy clubs in Div 1 who would "kill" to have a junior program as large, successful and proud as St Mary's juniors. Maybe this is a simple case of being taken for granted? Image in H'berg or Northcote were able to link up with this type of junior program!
I reckon he might be talkg about South Morang. St Marys haven't had seniors for 5 years.

Considering about 10 of the eligable 15 2012 under 17's who now qualify for open age football trained the first night of pre season on Monday i would have it at a guess you don't have a clue what you're talking about. As for your " friends " comments i can only speak for the current committee ( which i am a member of ) which has been pretty much the same people for the past 3 years. In that time together with both senior & junior coaches planning the under 16 & 17 squads both train before the open age squads on a Tues & Thurs then are rotated a few at a time to train with the open age sides. 3 lads played seniors last year & a couple the year before that. In my 16 years at South Morang the current relationship between the senior & junior committee's is at it's strongest. We sit down regulary to map out the future of both clubs moving forward together.

This i can promise you is fact. Together with council planned upgrades & extensions in the next 12 months the South Morang senior & junior clubs ( both football & cricket ) will continue to grow as one for years to come.

First of it great to see the numbers of under 17 stay and step up to the 19's good for SMFC.

but as for some of your other statements re planning under 16 and 17 training,

I hate to disagree with you but my friends kid was in the under sixteens this year which was an amalgamation of two under sixteen squads to form one team and speaking to people associated with the squad the coaches had no contact from any representive of the senior football club with regards to planning any training this might have happened with the under 17's i carn't say if it did or did not happen if so great .

I do I have some clue as to what I am talking about as i went and watched a lot of their games this year .
The under sixteen squad trained almost exclusively at the synthetic ground at a near bye high school on a Wednesday night and Friday night.
Which makes it hard to train before the seniors on a Tuesday or Thursday night

I am not trying to bag SMFC but I think if SMFC really serious and want to get a head then they should put more work than they are currently doing to make sure they reap the rewards of a great junior program and be a force to be reckon with in the NFL

Go Lions

Hi LMID, that's great to hear that about 10 of the eligible players trained the 1st night of Pre-Season. Well done!
I would also agree with most/everything you have said too. For the SMFC/JFC I do hope the relationship continues to positively grow - and if it does, watch out the rest of the NFL teams !!
I am aware of Brock and Morry playing seniors. Who was the 3rd?

For what it's worth. Expect another exodus from Watsonia this year.
you are right there...but its the dead wood on the way out.....what i hear is the dropkicks are goin including one moron to diamo and a couple of ungratefuls to st marys...i believe buckly has gone but stay tuned for some good div 1 pick ups.....and apparently the kid(coach) has started well in his coaching career...good luck to the wats

They won't field a good side with a core bunch of blokes. You can bring in all the recruits you want but it still wont change the fact that it is more of a social club than a football club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back