Past Nick Hayes (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Life lessons for young Lions
January 9, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions’ five first year players – Sam Mayes, Marco Paparone, Michael Close, Nick Hayes, and Jordon Bourke – headed to Melbourne on Monday to take part in the annual AFL Players’ Association Induction Camp at Etihad Stadium.

The two-day program included a number of eye-opening sessions designed to better prepare the latest crop of draftees for their journey as an AFL player.

Nick Hayes
“It’s been really good so far. Learning all the stuff you have to do after footy is good to know, because your AFL career isn’t going to last forever, so it’s important to consider that. Plus they help you with other skills like budgeting and looking after your finances.”

Yeah, quite like what I've read to date on Nick too, will be interested in comparisons with Patty Karnezis considering both are considered high half-forward players and around the low 190cms/80kg range when drafted – hopefully the regular ressie watchers up there can keep us all updated through-out the year.

Lions draft local tiger:
Northern Argus
By Keira James Dec. 19, 2012, 2:30 a.m.
He was a member of this year’s Woodville-West Torrens U18s premiership team, kicking the match winning goal in the Grand Final.
Listening to Nick speak in the tube clips – he certainly comes across as confident kid with a realistic understanding of where he currently is as a rookie player and what is required to step up up – Jack Redden as a guiding mentor seems a smart move.

The family has always been Crows supporters, but we are definitely going to barrack for the Lions now, Frank Hayes said. I’d been waiting for him to come home after exams and schoolies to help with harvest,” he said. “Any excuse to get out of harvest, but I guess this is a good one.

The rookie race
March 6, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions made the conscious decision late last year to pass on their Pre-Season Draft selection and instead fill that vacant senior position with a nominated rookie upgrade before the start of the season.

And with just two weeks until the nomination deadline, competition is starting to heat up among the seven rookie-listed Lions to see who will be officially elevated to the senior list on Tuesday 19 March.

Meanwhile, fellow rookies Richard Newell, Nicholas Hayes, Jordon Bourke are still relatively ‘green’ in their AFL development and might require more time in the NEAFL before staking their claim for senior selection.

Reserves Wrap
April 23, 2013

Another positive for the Lions was the continued development of rookie Nicholas Hayes, who enjoyed his finest match at senior level so far.

“Nick has been super. We’re really happy with how he’s progressing,” Harding said. “He hasn’t put a foot wrong since the start of the season and just seems to gets into the right spots.”

“We put him in the midfield this week alongside Black, which would have no doubt been a huge buzz for him. He would have ended with close to 30 touches as well.”

Fantastic news, well done Nick, keep working hard and good things will come.:thumbsu:

he's still got sometime to go before he can impact in the seniors right? we seem to be getting decent value from the rookie draft, rockliff, crisp, clarke and now hayes

Not saying he is right for the seniors at this stage of his development, just that he shows every sign of fitting the bill. For a start he isn't strong enough.

Then again, the way we're travelling who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember if he played NAB cup this year on if he didn't or only played some game time then I doubt the coaches feel he is ready. He has played a couple of good NEAFL games yes, but I have no doubt that is where his development will continue for this year (Voss has said before that apart from exceptional individuals most won't play in their first year). Callum Bartlett would most likely be the next cab off the rank and most likely the only one this year (apart from Clark this weekend).

I haven't seen training for a few weeks, but from pre-season I mainly got the impression that Hayes was a marking flanker/third-tall type. He is very light. He would get smashed at AFL level especially if you played him on the inside.

he's still got sometime to go before he can impact in the seniors right? we seem to be getting decent value from the rookie draft, rockliff, crisp, clarke and now hayes

Rocky was PSD, not rookie, but Mitch Golby says hi.

Hayes at Training 1st May

285348.jpg

Hayes an 'absolute ripper'
May 6, 2013
Sam Canavan

Nicholas Hayes has thrown his family’s lives into chaos.

Since the 18 year-old was snapped up by the Brisbane Lions in last year’s rookie draft, there’s been some serious angst in the Hayes household, with his parents and four younger brothers faced with an agonising decision.

Should the South Australian Hayes clan maintain their lifelong support of the Adelaide Crows, or jump ship in solidarity with their son and brother? “Most of my family have made the jump to support the Lions, which is something I never thought would happen!” Hayes laughed.

The Brisbane climate has been a big positive, and his homesickness has been tempered by the mateships he’s struck up with his fellow new recruits. Hayes shares a Coorparoo home, within walking distance to the Gabba, with first-year players Marco Paparone, Sam Mayes, and Michael Close. It’s a close-knit household, which is “not as messy as you’d expect,” although Hayes concedes the culinary quality can leave a little to be desired at times.

First-year coach Leigh Harding is glowing in his praise of his young charge. “Nick Hayes is an absolute ripper! He has come along in leaps and bounds since coming to the club,” Harding enthused. Lining up in the centre square alongside superstar Simon Black has been another big boon to Hayes’s quest for further footballing knowledge.

“He [Black] is a bloody gun – an incredible player,” smiles Hayes. Aside from Black, Hayes cites Tom Rockliff as the pick of his playing peers, with Jack Redden –who attended the same boarding school as Hayes – not far behind.

Hayes_GabbaTraining-article.jpg

Not saying he is right for the seniors at this stage of his development, just that he shows every sign of fitting the bill. For a start he isn't strong enough.

Then again, the way we're travelling who knows.

I would still elevate him & give him some exposure to senior level footy it couldn't do any harm, and we also couldn't do any worse.

it's nearly time to start maneourving for draft picks anyway.

I would still elevate him & give him some exposure to senior level footy it couldn't do any harm, and we also couldn't do any worse.

it's nearly time to start maneourving for draft picks anyway.

You mean like seriously injuring a player who doesn't have an AFL ready body yet?

Hayes heading back home
May 10, 2013
Sam Lord

Lions rookies Sam Michael and Nick Hayes are headed to Adelaide after both were named in the final NEAFL Northern Conference (QLD/NT) side, which will compete against the best of the SANFL this Saturday.

Hayes was a last-minute inclusion into the team, replacing Lions teammate Jordon Bourke who was forced to withdraw with a minor injury concern. Ironically, Hayes will travel back ‘home’ to South Australia where he was drafted from just six months ago, to represent his adopted State of Queensland.

It’s a huge honour for the 18-year-old, who has quickly found his feet with the Lions Reserves at NEAFL level.He has been particularly good in the past month, playing predominantly in the midfield alongside one of the AFL’s best in Simon Black.

Reserves Coach Leigh Harding said Hayes’ selection was due reward for his promising form. “Nick had never played senior football before, so naturally took a bit of time getting used to it at the beginning of the season,” Harding said. “But he’s improved out of sight and has obviously done enough to warrant a spot in the State side.” “It means he gets the chance to go back home and play against the best players from the South Australian State League, which will be a massive challenge.”

Hayes_GabbaTraining-article.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back