Opinion Nick Malceski

Remove this Banner Ad

We've already got one good kick who can't defend in Clinton Young and everyone despises him.

Clinton Young's kicking is overrated.
He has penetration by foot, but isn't accurate.
Compare him to players like Suckling and Malceski who both can kick accurately over short and long distances

Pretty much spot on. The guy is a great player, but considering where our list is at, I don't think he would be a good fit.
If we were further advanced in the premiership window then fine. This is why I can't understand Melbourne going for him. I know he has a relationship with Roos, but that would not be a good fit for them considering they are still a long way from a premiership.

I think Melbourne is a special case. Roos has commented publicly about how beat down all their young players were, and that they need to learn about how to play as a team at the AFL standard. He's doing a two stage rebuild. First stage is to get the Dees back to being a competent AFL team that understand what they need to do and have some belief that things can get better. Second stage will be to get a strong list that can challenge.

Malceski would make sense as part of the first stage, like Cross did. Professional guy, got through significant adversity himself, been part of a great winning culture. He'd be going there as a teacher and mentor as much as a player to make them better in the short term.

We're not in that boat.

In theory Malceski would be a great addition to almost any team but in reality his age and history of multiple knee recos would make recruiting him too risky a venture for most teams.
In saying that however, many had him written off way back when he had his second LARS reco but he started playing his best footy well after that.
From a Collingwood perspective I'd have us speaking to Hanley a year before he's out of contract and offer him a long term deal on nice $. The guys a machine and is still getting better.

From a Collingwood perspective I'd have us speaking to Hanley a year before he's out of contract and offer him a long term deal on nice $. The guys a machine and is still getting better.

Would be a great addition also.
Could easily offer a 5 year deal.
Like i said earlier, we need to be ultra aggressive

I would guess that if Malceski came to the Demons & the Demons lost Frawley then it would have to be via trade.
Malceski as a free agent would water down the compensation pick that Melbourne would get. They wont want to risk that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. And I assume he'll want to be paid as well.

If he wants that he would have to go to a Bad Side as they would have room in there salad cap. Top Teams will not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back